Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Greatest War Game of All Time (modern)

What is the greatest modern-era war game?

• Call of Duty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
This thread is all about modern-era war games (talking in terms of setting, not when it was made), and by that, I mean anything involving guns and planes, but not futuristic weaponry like needlers, banshees and chainswords.

And the $500 question is: what is the greatest modern war game of all time?

My vote: Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War. Two reasons it may not be very well known, 1. it was made in 2004 or so, so it is only on the PS2. Second reason, flight combat games have never been a very large branch of gaming, and as such, even the all-time best flight games are not necessarily well-known. But watch videos, listen to soundtrack, and watch cutscenes, and you will see that this game is truly amazing. An incredible storyline that spans across 30+ missions sucks you in like a good book: once you start, you just have to play the next mission. And on top of that, you have to earn that by beating a mission, which could last anywhere from 5-15 minutes, assuming you're a proficient pilot. Multiple viewpoints - including chase, HUD and cockpit - can immerse you at different levels in the gameplay. Incredibly detailed graphics look like satellite imaging. Cutscene graphics aren't quite as realistic, but the character models are well-developed, and the voice-acting is great. The overall consensus: 1o out of 10.

So what say you? What is truly the greatest modern war game of all time?

PS: I swear, if anybody says Call of Duty Modern Warfare and onwards... *trails off in a rant* (from the first one to World At War it was actually pretty good, but after that, :p )

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Ace Combat 04 had a really good storyline and music was good, but that was before they had 3D models for trees that you could actually crash into, and not all the buildings were 3D at that time, either, except in the 2nd to last level. Although, I do admit, the oil rig models in "Lifeline" were quite detailed.

I think Ace Combat 5 still has the upper hand on it.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
yeah, it was actually my first ps2 game ever, i like the map, the music and the story a lot.
Though the 3d wasnt really great, all the buildings necessary were in 3d though, like the ships and the towns. I loved the long missions and the one with the warship fleet, the ''invicible'' i think? And also the fact that you and allies and ground troops, i liked the fact that you werent alone :)

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
yeah, it was actually my first ps2 game ever, i like the map, the music and the story a lot.
Though the 3d wasnt really great, all the buildings necessary were in 3d though, like the ships and the towns. I loved the long missions and the one with the warship fleet, the ''invicible'' i think? And also the fact that you and allies and ground troops, i liked the fact that you werent alone :)
Agreed, although in Ace Combat 5, that's part of the fun, since in a lot of missions in the second half of the game you're alone, except for the rest of your squadron.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
I prefered the ace combat 4 huge land battles where you were helping your troops, and also the muddy landing level with three assault points where you had to help the landing tanks by destroying the bunkers.

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
My vote goes to Arma II. I don't play many modern-era games that I found amazingly fun... But, I choose Arma II... :\

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
I'm a massive fan of the command and conquer franchise, and think that the best modern wartime game goes to them.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
none of those were modern. they were either near future or alternate timeline
Ever player Command and Conquer Generals? That was modern era. A lot of the storylines are based on time getting altered which explains most of the game's technology being a little out-of-time.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Ever player Command and Conquer Generals? That was modern era. A lot of the storylines are based on time getting altered which explains most of the game's technology being a little out-of-time.
It is okay if the game has some relatively out-of-reach technology, so long as the main battle gear and vehicles aren't futuristic. For example, every single Ace Combat game wouldn't be an Ace Combat game if there wasn't a super weapon you had to destroy in the last level.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
War Game? War Game?!?!
Why are you mentioning FPS games, if what explains war the best is a good RTS or a simulator. They must be good though, and only desperate gaming companies go for modern era unless they had plans like that from start.
So, I'd say that honestly, one of the best proper modern era war games is in fact, as dumb as that may sound, ArmA II. It shows war, but from more of a political point of view. You are cast into politics as a simple US marine. Despite its glitchiness and slow pace of the whole game, if you play thoroughly enough, you will see just about how atmospheric it is. You must look closely though, that atmosphere is hard to find.

Overall, if Red Orchestra 2 or Company of Heroes would be in modern era, (I seriously don't wish them that, they're too good to end up like that), then they'd be my favourites.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
War Game? War Game?!?!
Why are you mentioning FPS games, if what explains war the best is a good RTS or a simulator. They must be good though, and only desperate gaming companies go for modern era unless they had plans like that from start.
So, I'd say that honestly, one of the best proper modern era war games is in fact, as dumb as that may sound, ArmA II. It shows war, but from more of a political point of view. You are cast into politics as a simple US marine. Despite its glitchiness and slow pace of the whole game, if you play thoroughly enough, you will see just about how atmospheric it is. You must look closely though, that atmosphere is hard to find.

Overall, if Red Orchestra 2 or Company of Heroes would be in modern era, (I seriously don't wish them that, they're too good to end up like that), then they'd be my favourites.
Modern era warfare is 1914 onwards