Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Help Needed: Buying a Violin

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Hello!

I'd like to take up playing the violin, as I think it will lessen my obsessions and give me something to do. Hopefully, then, I shan't bother folk who don't want to be bothered. It's a foolproof plan (except for the bit where I miss talking to those people as much, but one does what one must do) . :D

Of course, I've never been near an instrument like it before and have absolutely no idea what kind of violin I should get. Having said that, I've no idea what kind of violins there are.

I'm left-handed, meaning I'd need a left-handed violin, and I don't think I want to spend much more than a hundred pounds or so (yes, I'm in the UK) . Thus, my questions are:

• Are there any "brands" in particular to be looking out for?
  • Does it matter if it's second-hand?
  • How much does a decent left-handed violin usually cost?
  • Does quality and cost of the violin actually affect the sound much, or is it mainly to do with the strings?
  • I've heard I should use nylon strings, is that correct?

Teeke

Lord of Altera
I'll just leave this here....

Yes the quality, workmanship, woods, condition, etc all affect the sound of the violin.
Second hand instruments can have a very nice sound, being as they are already broken in - but a lot of times they will just be broken.
Play the instrument before you buy it. 2 of the same make, same model will have different sounds.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
I've had a couple of "stentor" violins before, and I can't complain a bit, they are very nice without being horrifyingly expensive. Having said that, for the first few weeks of learning I rented a veeeery cheap violin second hand fairly cheaply until I was certain I enjoyed it, and even with that the sound quality wasn't affected terribly.

Just don't let a salesperson talk you into the really fancy pants ones unless you are certain you're going to go on with it, and you aren't going to have another growth spurt. :p

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Regarding the entire "play it first" shenanigan:

I can't play; I've never played before. I hear it's rather screechy to begin with, so how will I know which sounds best?

But I am determined to play the violin, and I've promised myself to keep trying no matter how terrible at it I am to begin with.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
it shouldn't be horribly hard to get a decent sound out of it... so long as you play ABOVE the bridge~

Teeke

Lord of Altera
as a beginner the hardest part is just holding the damn thing in place (heck, even later on it's still an issue that plagues people)

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Regarding the entire "play it first" shenanigan:

I can't play; I've never played before. I hear it's rather screechy to begin with, so how will I know which sounds best?

But I am determined to play the violin, and I've promised myself to keep trying no matter how terrible at it I am to begin with.
If you've never played before, rent it while you take lessons/figure it out
As Mucus said, you generally don't play below the bridge. If you really want to see how it sounds, just pluck the strings (With a single finger)

( Play cello, been doing so for 11 years- very familiar with violin/viola. )

Yoda

Lord of Altera
If you've never played before, rent it while you take lessons/figure it out
As Mucus said, you generally don't play below the bridge. If you really want to see how it sounds, just pluck the strings (With a single finger)

( Play cello, been doing so for 11 years- very familiar with violin/viola. )
Rent it. Okay. I could do that. Thanks. :D

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
And if you're going to do it with the bow, for the love of God do it quietly. :p

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
I was about to go on a friendly/helpful rant about how everything in an instrument changes how it sounds, but I 'aint got time f'dat.

I hope the music world becomes what you want it to, enjoy!

-K9