Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Lore & History FAQ

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
I want to ask a question about cannons. Are they a new or an old invention? Are rockets a possibility? (Not like missiles, but like the ones the British used in the War of 1812 or the Opium Wars.) Is there a limit to how many cannons we can use?
rockets have been denied before

cannons exist if they're early medieval cannons

our tech lock is at the printing press IIRC

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
So anything past 1440s is not allowed?
gutenburg press was 1440 correct.

there are pre 1440 guns, but i believe lore's excuse is that we don't have the metallurgy skills required to work metal small enough for guns

Old-Seadog

Lord of Altera
gutenburg press was 1440 correct.

there are pre 1440 guns, but i believe lore's excuse is that we don't have the metallurgy skills required to work metal small enough for guns
Okay, but some of the ships don't seem too medieval, in my opinion anyways.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I want to ask a question about cannons. Are they a new or an old invention? Are rockets a possibility? (Not like missiles, but like the ones the British used in the War of 1812 or the Opium Wars.) Is there a limit to how many cannons we can use?
Q: I see cannons on ships. Why are they a thing when guns aren't? (Asked by Cap )
A: "Cannons exist as stationary emplacements, and I do believe there's precedent for one-shot hand cannons that take your hand when they go off. Cannons actually served a pretty critical role in the Exodus war." (Answered by Baron )

"No hand cannons. I will smush anyone who tries, I swear it. And make their hand blow up.(Answered by Somnastra )
Cannons are a thing, but our server is focused around 1400's or before. Some of the tech doesn't exactly line up if you put a timeline between Earth and Altera, but we try to keep it as medieval as possible. So no rockets or the like, unfortunately. But cannons are a thing, yes. :)

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
Cannons are a thing, but our server is focused around 1400's or before. Some of the tech doesn't exactly line up if you put a timeline between Earth and Altera, but we try to keep it as medieval as possible. So no rockets or the like, unfortunately. But cannons are a thing, yes. :)
'rockets'

we have fireworks ma'am

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
It's less pre-printing press and more that tech isn't allowed to reach a paradigm-shifting point. Ships behave about the same functionally up until ironclads and steamships. Stationary cannons exist as defenses and on ships, but more portable guns are a revolution in warfare. The printing press is the major one listed because its invention massively accelerated the speed at which knowledge spreads, and made it far easier to preserve it as well.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Go be snide somewhere else if you're going to continue to not participate in the community.
One, I was making a simple meme reference. Nothing snide there.

Two, I've been active in the community (until last week: new job offer, moving, fun times, should be active again soon). You've only not seen me around because I tend to avoid OP snowflakes. Nothing personal, just not what I consider fun.

Three, I'm missing a few pokedex entrees in Pokemon Go and I believe the high horse you're riding on is one of those. Mind hopping down for a bit so I can toss a few Ulltraballs at it?

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
I prefer it when jokes aren't thinly veiled jabs at people.
Hey man, you do you. Go ahead, sit there and get bent-out-of-shape about it. I got a chuckle out of it because it was a joke.

*Edit* Pyro posted before me. Dang.

Spooksy_

Lord of Altera
Legend
malaoka
malaoka
Legend
One, I was making a simple meme reference. Nothing snide there.

Two, I've been active in the community (until last week: new job offer, moving, fun times, should be active again soon). You've only not seen me around because I tend to avoid OP snowflakes. Nothing personal, just not what I consider fun.

Three, I'm missing a few pokedex entrees in Pokemon Go and I believe the high horse you're riding on is one of those. Mind hopping down for a bit so I can toss a few Ulltraballs at it?
You are an extremely rude individual.