Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Mac users?

Rexyn

Legend of Altera
Hay, dose anyone here use a Mac for gaming? If so, can you all tell me why that's not included on this pages tittle because I am a gamer that only uses Mac now sense I got tired of my PC being so old and the games never working (I know, I could just buy a new one, but I got a new Mac for that so there lol). I don't know I just wanted to ask a question and thought it was a good idea to put it up on here.

Any Mac users who have other MMO's that want to share there names on here so you can find others who got a Mac can share on here to.

AndyMossers

Lord of Altera
Nope, don't like Apple stuff because it's never compatible with anything non-Apple. And Apple stuff is waaaay too expensive anyway. I have an Android HTC, Windows computer and Toshiba laptop. They all do me fine, although my computer fans are faling apart, it's only got 2GB RAM and it's ancient. Apart from that and the dodgy hard drive and CPU, everything's brilliant!

Tantara

Resigned Admin
Hay, dose anyone here use a Mac for gaming? If so, can you all tell me why that's not included on this pages tittle because I am a gamer that only uses Mac now sense I got tired of my PC being so old and the games never working (I know, I could just buy a new one, but I got a new Mac for that so there lol). I don't know I just wanted to ask a question and thought it was a good idea to put it up on here.

Any Mac users who have other MMO's that want to share there names on here so you can find others who got a Mac can share on here to.
I use a mac, but it's a pain for gaming. There are very few games that are made for mac, so you often have to result in using crossover programs (unless you actually have windows parallel installed) to play games. Outside of the gaming aspect, they're great machines (although overpriced ._.). I recommend one if you use the computer a lot as they don't break easily and don't get viruses.

It's a pain to get the games to work, but they work fine when they do. Right now, I have Lord of the Rings Online, Minecraft, Skyrim, and Civilization 5. In the past, I've had Civilization 4, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fallout 3. They played well.

dracoboy2

Lord of Altera
i have a mac and i love it!

But... when it comes to games windows is a better option. For me, i use steam on my mac and then to play games that don't work on osx i use bootcamp (it creates a windows partition within your hard drive)

Sodium

The Lunarch
I use a mac, but it's a pain for gaming. There are very few games that are made for mac, so you often have to result in using crossover programs (unless you actually have windows parallel installed) to play games. Outside of the gaming aspect, they're great machines (although overpriced ._.). I recommend one if you use the computer a lot as they don't break easily and don't get viruses.

It's a pain to get the games to work, but they work fine when they do. Right now, I have Lord of the Rings Online, Minecraft, Skyrim, and Civilization 5. In the past, I've had Civilization 4, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fallout 3. They played well.
How're you running LotRO? Via crossover/bootcamp? I'd really like to know - I'm running on a mac and am saving for a new PC, but for the time being I'm having to bite my lip at all the games I would like to play, but can't because of my OS and LotRO is one of them. I may as well wait untill I get a new machine rather than buy a simulator as it shouldn't be long untill I have enough to buy a half decent machine!

Rexyn

Legend of Altera
Well, I do like PC's for gaming, but I use my computer a lot for just about every project I do ya know? So I use a Mac, and I've found a lot of games that are on the Mac now even. I barley buy games for my Mac in hard disk form anymore because I've found sites that give me the games in a download; easy to find and easy to use ya know? It may be really expensive, but the reason for that is Mac's have better parts in them. It may look the same, but they are a better quality part then a PC which gets cheaper parts so that people will buy a cheaper computer.

Sodium

The Lunarch
I wouldn't say that either platform is better than the other, both have their ups and both have their downs.

matyio

The original mute
i have to say one thing, at this moment in time, the pc is far ahead in gaming utilities.

Sodium

The Lunarch
i have to say one thing, at this moment in time, the pc is far ahead in gaming utilities.
As I said, they both have their strong points. PC's are far ahead in gaming utilities because of one thing. There is money in it. Companies can get their money back easily when they develop games for PC because there is a HUGE audience for it. In comparison, the audience for games on mac is tiny. That means that companies aren't going to get the money the invested in paying people to translate the code so that it will run on mac back as fast as they would on a PC audience, if at all. Simply put. People are greedy. Plus. most people will run bootcamp so that they are able to play games which means developers won't have to worry about other OSs

Kaies

Grand Lizard
Macs uses pretty much identical hardware to PC's, what you should be comparing is the OS not the hardware.
Its also a lot simpler making games on the PC as its a standard platform because it Uses DirectX (it belongs to microsoft), i don't think macs use DirectX but they can use OpenGL which is what games can also use. However the developer would need to learn how to use it, but that costs time and money, its much quicker to use something all ready in place. OpenGL is good though, some of the stuff it can do is amazing.

Sodium

The Lunarch
Macs uses pretty much identical hardware to PC's, what you should be comparing is the OS not the hardware.
Not sure who you were pointing this at, I was comparing the OS ;)

Its also a lot simpler making games on the PC as its a standard platform because it Uses DirectX (it belongs to microsoft), i don't think macs use DirectX
You're right, they don't

However the developer would need to learn how to use it, but that costs time and money
Yup, as I said most companies won't go there if there isn't much profit to be had.

Kaies

Grand Lizard
I was talking to Rexen, Macs are no better than PC's. Macs are also PC's them selfs, the difference is Mac and Windows and Linux. You can use current gen hardware with mac, despite what people say you can change their hardware. Does depend on the mac though.

Sodium

The Lunarch
Ahh, I see. You have a good point. My neighbor has one of the huge mac desktop towers and he runs OSX, pretty sure that he upgrades that fairly regularly.

Tantara

Resigned Admin
How're you running LotRO? Via crossover/bootcamp? I'd really like to know - I'm running on a mac and am saving for a new PC, but for the time being I'm having to bite my lip at all the games I would like to play, but can't because of my OS and LotRO is one of them. I may as well wait untill I get a new machine rather than buy a simulator as it shouldn't be long untill I have enough to buy a half decent machine!
Neither. Crossover games costs too much and I don't have bootcamp. I actually torrented it, and it works fine. I just play it on the default OS. I can probably find you a link to the torrent that I used, if you'd like.

Tantara

Resigned Admin
As I said, they both have their strong points. PC's are far ahead in gaming utilities because of one thing. There is money in it. Companies can get their money back easily when they develop games for PC because there is a HUGE audience for it. In comparison, the audience for games on mac is tiny. That means that companies aren't going to get the money the invested in paying people to translate the code so that it will run on mac back as fast as they would on a PC audience, if at all. Simply put. People are greedy. Plus. most people will run bootcamp so that they are able to play games which means developers won't have to worry about other OSs
Gaming companies seem to be making games more available to mac; they're waking to the fact that there are mac gamers.

Sodium

The Lunarch
Neither. Crossover games costs too much and I don't have bootcamp. I actually torrented it, and it works fine. I just play it on the default OS. I can probably find you a link to the torrent that I used, if you'd like.
If you did that, I would love you for ever, Tantara! :heart: