Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Magic Systems Theory: Thaumism Draft 2

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
This is an independent attempt to devise a system of magic which could feasibly exist in HW, with no intent to replace the current one.

This is not going anywhere concrete but is meant to be discussed.

Thaum: Unit of Reality

The Thaum is the measurable unit of how “real” an object is.

Reality is governed by a number of fundamental forces, the most important of which is the thaumic force. The thaumic force is that which defines how “real” an object or place is, as measured by changes in the thaumic field.

Interactions in the thaumic field allow objects and people to manipulate reality by enforcing their own reality over the current one, or making the current one sufficiently unreal that anyone can impress their will onto it and change it.

The world generally has a background thaumic level of 1 Thaum. This is referred to as the Baseline. Areas with <1 Thaum background are more malleable, and asymptotically approaching zero Thaums makes the area increasingly unreal until it effectively ceases to have any meaning and is overwritten by as low a thaumic effect as imagination.

Areas with >1 Thaum background are more “real” than other places, and this extra thaumic background can be harvested by casters to cast spells elsewhere.

All places with non-Baseline levels tend to fall back to the Baseline over time as a natural result of entropy.

Casting Spells:

Thaumic Spellcasting is the science of using a difference in thaumic levels to assert your reality over the current one. A caster will consume X Thaums of reality to manifest some effect in the world, that effect then becoming the new reality until the increased thaumic level falls back to Baseline and the effect disperses.

Thaumic Spellcasting can be done in two ways:

1: Assertion Spellcasting

2: Fabrication Spellcasting

Assertion Spellcasting

In Assertion Spellcasting, the caster has a thaumic level higher than the Baseline, and manifests effects by spending that thaumic difference to cast spells (A spell being some previously researched and understood effect which anyone can perform with practice). In effect, they enforce their will for something to exist which previously didn’t.

Assertion spellcasting relies on having a thaumic difference higher than the Baseline and enough mental strength and willpower to make a thing-that-isn’t become a thing-that-is. This involves being able to conceptualize the effect wholly in their mind and then making it exist in the world.

Assertion Casters must perform these spell assertions on the world carefully; failing to conceptualize the effect fully will cause it to immediately disperse harmlessly as it lacked cohesion to exist.

Experienced Assertion Casters may train others in the mental discipline needed to cast, as well as teach them exactly how to conceptualize these known effects. Some experts even attempt to discover new effects, meditating deeply while resting on a high thaumic level in order to try to fully visualize and realize new spells.

Most casters are Assertion Casters. It’s quite safe, and the training regimen of Assertion Casting along with its defined lists of spells ensures that they’ll always have the right tools on hand to perform a spell if necessary.

OOC:

Assertion Casting is the casting of a defined spell, and relies on rolls to guarantee the effect happens. Higher Thaumic Level of the caster will confer bonuses, as will the record of the number of times they’ve previously succeeded in casting the spell.

All manner of effects exist, some spells existing in “upgrade tree” systems such that those who specialize in that form of spell will have a better chance to cast those other spells properly. All Assertion Casters can cast all Assertion Spells, with experience being the leading factor in the spell mod.

Fabrication Spellcasting:

A poorly understood and dangerous alternative to Assertion Casting, Fabrication spellcasting involves the caster using thaumic sinks to reduce the Baseline below 1 Thaum. This makes reality around the caster less stable, allowing them to assert effects with far less mental effort than Assertion Casting. Fabrication Casting does not rely on spells, but instead allows the caster to imagine new things into existence at a whim. These Fabrications come into existence at the Fabricator’s thaumic level, allowing them to exist outside the thaumic sink they were formed in.

Fabrication casting is much less rigorous than Assertion spellcasting, and the low reality levels in the thaumic sinks allows for things that rightly shouldn’t exist. Poor conceptualizations, anomalous objects, and aberrations are all possibilities of the Fabricator spellcaster. At sufficiently close to 0 Thaums, reality becomes so dangerously malleable that invasive thoughts and subconscious whims can manifest themselves into monstrous beasts without the caster’s willingness. As the thaumic level asymptotically falls to 0, reality may become so unreal that it breaks entirely, forming null-thaum holes into other places beyond our world. From these portals unpleasant things may appear. The influence of these portals spreads slowly, reducing reality and corrupting it to that of whatever lies on the other side.

Despite the incredible risk, Fabrication Casting is a practice which allows for casters to create fantastic magical objects, such as cups that never empty, seeds which grow to trees ten times faster and higher than others, blades which never go dull, and more.

Most such objects can be made at the milliThaum level, but going lower is a seductive risk, for the lower the background the more fantastic the objects that can be made, including armor with no weight, horseshoes that allow flight, negative-arrow bows which create ammunition out of light and ice as they fire. The most exotic objects known to exist before the Wall, the point at which reality breaks, are truly alien: spears with virtual infinite length, rings which allow the wearer to teleport across continents, torches with infinite heat within the fire that carve through any material effortlessly, and immortality-granting ambrosia.

The rewards are tremendous, but Fabricators must be careful or risk being killed by their creations or worse.

OOC:

Fabricators use thaumic sinks to lower reality in their workshops. Fabrication Casting is too unstable to use in an uncontrolled environment such as a fight, since the other party’s Assertion Casting becomes more effective in lower-reality environments.

Fabrication Casting involves creating thaumic sinks out of exotic materials which lower the thaumic Baseline in the near area by orders of magnitude.

Any time the caster attempts any action, they roll a 1d100 with a negative mod of the orders of magnitude. For example, at 0.001 Thaum, they roll 1d100-3. The roll coming at 5 or less results in an undesired effect manifesting, such as the object being Fabricated exploding. A 20 or less is a simple failure, the object being Fabricated misshapen with no effects or extremely weak effects. The further into the negative the roll, the worse the effect, up to creating monsters unintentionally which immediately try to kill the caster or escape to wreak havoc. At a -100 mod, they hit the Wall and immediately die as a portal opens and sucks them in, likely destroying the workshop as well.

Making a thaumic sink is a difficult exercise, as increasingly exotic materials and arrangements must be sought and discovered. In all practicality, nobody can go below 0.001 Thaum unless they have exceptional means to discover sinks. Reaching the godlike Artifacts of 1x10^-90 or lower is basically impossible.

Artifact strength can be evaluated at the thaumic level it has, it usually fingerprinted as (1 + 1x10^sink), e.g. a 0.001 craft being at 1.001.

In Practice:

Basically all spellcasters are Assertion casters. Fabrication Casters likely won’t get further than whatever’s available in an Enchanting Table without staff approval, and really anomalous items with low ratings can exist as lore rewards and relics in the world.

Attempting to Fabricate at a very low Thaumic level is an endeavour requiring some staff player on hand, since the risks are huge and no Fabricator would do that kind of thing without loads of prep because whatever they make might try to kill them.

Assertion Casting uses defined lists which can grow as players research and submit new spells for review in transparent fashion. Through a pretty basic counting plugin their spell success mods can be recorded for each spell and spells down a particular spell’s “specialization” path of similar spells. Harvesting thaums to allow for casting is also easy: Everyone gets certain points per day, and server shops sell thaumically charged emeralds that give the option of hoarding extra thaums which the player can “consume” to recover casting. New options can later be developed and rewards of very high thaum emeralds can be given out as special treats for casters to get loads of extra casting.

Further, personal thaum charge can roll over to a certain extent, so those who can’t be online every day get an extra 20% or so (up for evaluation) if they missed a day.

People can be taught, getting a temporary increased mod when someone with a higher mod in that area /teaches them per spell they attempt to cast. As spell success is roughly cumulative, teaching confers a concrete benefit in them receiving a permanent mod by their own efforts so they’ll succeed more often on their own.

Pros:

• Defined casting with comprehensible dice rolling system for success and easily understood spell effects players can RP out on a success

• Decentralized, no maguses required

• Teaching RP options available to make casting easier

• System allows for both spellcasting and magic item crafting with controls on both to prevent spiralling into zany-land.

Cons:

• Requires significant lore rewrites to implement

• Requires replacing current system

• Requires a plugin
Discuss

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Other names for this type of magic:

Thaumic Assertion

Willpower Magic

Ontological Volition

This system supports vanilla and enhanced RP enchanting, as well as every spell in the current system. By adjusting thaumic cost of casting one can fit essentially any spell from any setting into the system, because casting is defined as wilfully manifesting some effect, with the user needing higher thaumic backing for more dramatic effects.

Last edited:

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Interesting side effects of Thaumic reality lore:

You can make new monsters and enemies based on low-reality zones. Something like:

Thaumite: what looks like a glowing beetle, the thaumite is a creature that manifests in low-thaum areas. They make a continuous chittering sound but are otherwise harmless, and dissipate when the Thaumic Baseline returns to 1.

Lesser Abberant: Appearing in nanoThaumic fields, Lesser Abberants are the manifestations of the Fabricator's subconscious. They range from harmless to viciously aggressive, and never take rational cohesive form. Lesser Abberants in particular tend to look like twisted versions of the Fabricator, with Dali-esque molten form and glowing rashes of Thaumic light, a harsh vivid blue. They tend to gibber incoherently, and are able to exist in Baseline fields on the scale of hours.

Greater Abberant: True horrors, Greater Abberants don't take any rational form. Born out of the slightest distraction of the Fabricator in an attoThaumic field or lower, Greater Abberants are painful to look at and always hostile. Their proportions are non-Euclidean, with limbs that shift though each other, simultaneously too close and too far away. Greater Abberants are contagiously unreal, and that which they touch drains of form and function. Swords bend like sticks and melt like candles, armor becomes incorporeal, food loses taste and nutrition.

Greater Abberants can survive in Baseline fields for months to years and wreak havoc everywhere they go.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
With Assertion Casting, those interested can try to make new spells in a transparent application and review process everyone can see.

For example, let's say a tea shop owner wants to create a simple spell. They submit a forum thread for the spell, listing its name, thaumic rating, category tags if any, and it's effect, example as follows:

Talreyn's Teapot:
1 Thaum Expenditure
Tags: water, illusion, cooking
Effect: Talreyn's Teapot modifies 1 teapot's worth of water, making it feel and taste exactly like a pot of tea. The effect does not heat the water, so preferably it is cast on an actual teapot of hot water. The taste must be one the caster has tasted.

The spell thread then goes to review, where players may suggest changes, such as whether the effect is balanced. Finally, the staff team chooses to greenlight or veto the new spell and add it to the lists of spells, sorted by categories and Thaumic expenditure.

Last edited:

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
What's that? Lore-backed locations? Fantasy Chernobyl?

The Red Zone:

An area of extremely low thaumic rating, the Red Zone's creation dates back to the mad Fabricator-King's deranged experiments to bypass the Ontological Wall and ascend to godhood. His experiments succeeded, and the resulting unreality tore into being the Ring of Gates, a circular radius around which reality became permanently destabilized and portals open and close at random as Baseline attempts to assert itself over the nightmare zone.

At the edges of the Red Zone, turmoil is not particularly noticeable, save for various fortifications garrisoned by experienced Assertion Casters to kill whatever tries to escape the Zone. The further in one goes, the less real the area becomes, with geography becoming broken and fantastical. Further in, it starts to become non-Euclidean. A mile can be walked in the blink of an eye, or a thin stream may be a distorted yawing canyon. None have yet reached the center of the Red Zone, where the Fabricator-King's ruinous workshop shrouds the Reality Well, an asymptotic infinite hole in reality, where the Thaumic Baseline falls so close to 0 as to make no difference.

Space itself distorts around the Reality Well, and a continuous stream of nightmarish abominations sally forth from it to haunt the Red Zone's inner regions. Whether they are the echoes of the Fabricator-King's dying screams brought into existence, or the manifests of the random fluctuations of the Well is unknown.

The further one goes into the Red Zone, the more unreal and vicious the denizens become. Most lurk in the inner radius, within the steep gradient of the Reality Well. Relatively few try to leave, the most common being the Lesser Abberants of wayward explorers and fortune-seekers. Perhaps once in a decade a Greater Abberant tries to break out, and even more rarely terrors unnamed and uncategorized demand the full attention of the realm's armies to destroy.

CloakedReaper

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Staff
First of all, I am really digging the communities' initiative to propose systems or lore that could benefit the server. Rock on in that respect, seriously.

Second of all, with the understanding there is a clear author difference, the lore of your proposal seems to contrast the magic we already have in place, almost jarringly so. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there could definitely be some adaption changes to be made. I don't want this to be brief, so I may add more later on tonight, but I also have to leave for work fairly soon, so I'll try to address some points that quickly spring to mind.

One thing that comes to mind is the strain this might put on staff in terms of workload. The Aberrations I am so down for, with Lovecraftian elements being a neigh favorite storytelling aspect of mine. However, it's very clear in our set rules that pets and NPCs are forbidden from participating in CRP situations. Both Greater and Lesser aberrations, to my understanding, seem to be a utility that goes against that. If these aberrations were to be added to our existing systems, it sounds to me that a staff or mentor would be required to DM them for the sake of fairness. After all, I can't see a monster born from horror itself being particularly friendly to anything.

Another thing - The 'Red Zone'. I don't recognize that as anything existing in our world currently, however it does sound something like the Rift we currently have. If an event like that were to occur, I'd dearly wish for it to be actually narratively played out for the characters of the server. Perhaps it could exist side-to-side with the Rift and the defenses put in place by Elz.

I gotta roll soon, but I have one last comment to make. To perhaps ease the jarring differences between this proposal and pre-existing Magic Lore, perhaps some cooperation with the writers of the current lore could help. Such as, what happens in regards to a Cogimen's magic and someone of this system? What happens when their magic meets? I understand your post mentioned a con being that it would have to replace our current system, but I don't think that's necessarily true.

If I was incorrect with any of this, please correct me.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
First of all, I am really digging the communities' initiative to propose systems or lore that could benefit the server. Rock on in that respect, seriously.

Second of all, with the understanding there is a clear author difference, the lore of your proposal seems to contrast the magic we already have in place, almost jarringly so. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there could definitely be some adaption changes to be made. I don't want this to be brief, so I may add more later on tonight, but I also have to leave for work fairly soon, so I'll try to address some points that quickly spring to mind.

One thing that comes to mind is the strain this might put on staff in terms of workload. The Aberrations I am so down for, with Lovecraftian elements being a neigh favorite storytelling aspect of mine. However, it's very clear in our set rules that pets and NPCs are forbidden from participating in CRP situations. Both Greater and Lesser aberrations, to my understanding, seem to be a utility that goes against that. If these aberrations were to be added to our existing systems, it sounds to me that a staff or mentor would be required to DM them for the sake of fairness. After all, I can't see a monster born from horror itself being particularly friendly to anything.

Another thing - The 'Red Zone'. I don't recognize that as anything existing in our world currently, however it does sound something like the Rift we currently have. If an event like that were to occur, I'd dearly wish for it to be actually narratively played out for the characters of the server. Perhaps it could exist side-to-side with the Rift and the defenses put in place by Elz.

I gotta roll soon, but I have one last comment to make. To perhaps ease the jarring differences between this proposal and pre-existing Magic Lore, perhaps some cooperation with the writers of the current lore could help. Such as, what happens in regards to a Cogimen's magic and someone of this system? What happens when their magic meets? I understand your post mentioned a con being that it would have to replace our current system, but I don't think that's necessarily true.

If I was incorrect with any of this, please correct me.
This is a wholly theoretical system, with later posts detailing possible ways it can integrate into a setting, not being meant to be considered as de facto additions to the world and map. It's not even really meant for HW beyond a thought experiment.

As specified in the Fabrication parts, Abberants can only generate during extraordinary conditions, with a range of harmless fail effects possible before the really bad stuff happens as you get closer to 0. Abberants themselves would be limited to major Fabrication attempts, which would entail an event due to the necessary buildup similar to God events today.

The magic system this draft proposes is in fact fully compatible with current magic, because any spell with a cost, description, and effect can be inserted into it. Cogimency is no different from any other effect-based spell.

The Red Zone idea, if it were more than a blurb, would be easily enough implemented as the Sorrows and Nether are: Travelling to a place where undead run around seems pretty unreal, along with whatever Creepers are meant to be. The Nether can represent a deeper section of the Zone where geography stops working properly and giant flying squids spit explosions. Even the End fits in as a place where reality just stops working altogether and fractures into islands of weird pale non-matter, full of teleporting things and monsters that can invert gravity on you. Pretty unreal, no?