Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Mime Volan

HollowWorld

HollowWorld's Announcer
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Staff

1624121965032.png

[ ART CREDIT - Kamaoe ]
1603294233713.png

- MIME VOLAN -

"An echo resounds.. of voices.. of words.. but what is its origin?"
-=[]=-
[ Free to be used in Events]

H A B I T A T
Mime Volans simply find somewhere to reside that is a comfortable temperature to them, with a ready source of food to supply them. Volans tend to favor a temperature that is warmer, but once they're free of the cold they are not picky about the heat. They thrive in temperatures from 15-37°C (60-100°F). Volans do not migrate yearly, but instead simply migrate to wherever they might find a ready source of food.. Such as a marketplace or farmstead.​

P H Y S I O L O G Y
Mime Volans are birds ranging in 1ft to 1.5ft in height, which have feathers that are off-white with brown, yellow, and black speckles. Males possess a large black gular sac on their throats that are blown up to attract mates, but also produce a poisonous enzyme that can cause temporary blindness and moderate pain, but no real damage. They have an orifice beneath their tongues that projects a stream of the poison, which in doing so deflates their gular sac and renders them unable to do it again until they can produce more. Their wingspan is about 2ft to 2.5ft wide; of which they can launch themselves into the air with a single flap and glide in a similar manner to seagulls. Mime Volans get their name from their ability to very closely simulate sounds, or voices, of other creatures. They attribute this ability to their enlarged Syrinxes, which allow for a wider range of sounds.​
A very peculiar mutation occurs occasionally in Mime Volans, and that is the ossification of feathers into a more quill-like coat, which are very sharp and would break off the same way you might snap a small twig. Once the ossification begins, it would spread to every feather on the Volan until they are completely covered in quills-- and completely devoid of feathers. This does not hinder their flight however; as they have skin flaps that stretch out when their wings are spread out. Female Mime Volan's lack black speckles and have a smaller wingspan than males, and lack the gular sac that males have. (Thus also lack the ability to produce poison.)​
Diet: Volans dine mainly on scraps of animals carcasses in a similar way to vultures, but also like to munch on seeds, fruit, and herbs.​
Lifespan: Mime Volans can live up to 15 years, with some very rarely living into their 20s.​

B E H A V I O U R
Volans are rather tame but for whatever reason find entertainment in mimicking the sounds and voices of other creatures, so if one was near someone talking, it may very well begin mocking them. They are not extremely social birds, amongst their own species, as one would not find enjoyment in mocking something that's mocking it back. If threatened, they may first spread their wings, followed by males puffing out their gular sacs and projecting a stream of poison at the threat, or females simply taking flight.​

A B I L I T I E S
[Acid Spit] Corrosive spitting venom​
[Mimic] They can mimic sounds and conversations, echoing them later.​

W E A K N E S S E S
Their weaknesses are simple to a birds.​

Y I E L D S
[Venom] An ingredient for alchemy. Extracting this venom and brewing it with crimsonwort essence will create a distinct poison.​
[Feathers] Rough feathers of whites, reds and blacks.​

Original Writeup: Colonelgames

Last edited:

HollowWorld

HollowWorld's Announcer
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Staff
M i m e
V o l a n
Attack DC: 13
Defense DC: 13