Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Mojang and the EULA

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
I just read https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation-the-follow-up-qa/
Just a tip read it and most of your questions will be answerd, I found it really usefull
Also cherbert flying is not allowed to be part of a rank (part from the mentoind link)
Can I charge for access to server commands?
Yes, as long as their effects are purely cosmetic. Commands that affect gameplay, such as a command to fly, cannot be sold for hard currency.
It is as long as you use in-game currency to buy it. So yeah it can still be part of the Rank system, as long as Emeralds or Radiants are being used (or whatever other achievable block)

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Another confirmation...

But anyway, would it be possible to monetize forums via advertisements?
Before you all jump on to slit my throat, a couple of advert boxes to the sides wouldn't really hurt you all that much would they? And I know it's a poor amount of money, but it's still that extra money, is it not? With those couple of thousand displays a day on a regular basis the forums could potentially keep the server running... Although don't quote me here, and I realise it's not a great idea myself. (It's also half past midnight at night, so don't hate plox :p). The forums don't contain any of Mojang's IP so they can't exactly do anything about it.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
View rate on ads isn't as important as the click-through ratio, which is what is measured. If nobody clicks on the ads, no money will be made from them.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Another confirmation...

But anyway, would it be possible to monetize forums via advertisements?
Before you all jump on to slit my throat, a couple of advert boxes to the sides wouldn't really hurt you all that much would they? And I know it's a poor amount of money, but it's still that extra money, is it not? With those couple of thousand displays a day on a regular basis the forums could potentially keep the server running... Although don't quote me here, and I realise it's not a great idea myself. (It's also half past midnight at night, so don't hate plox :p). The forums don't contain any of Mojang's IP so they can't exactly do anything about it.

Course you can use advertising, though i can tell you no matter how normal or innocent an ad looks like it can still come with a virus.
And as baron already said you'd have to click them.

Still remember when one of us was playing one of these advert games in Application Development and another said 'Congratulations you have won a virus' afterwards.

No idea if he actually got a virus from it but that should give you the idea.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
View rate on ads isn't as important as the click-through ratio, which is what is measured. If nobody clicks on the ads, no money will be made from them.
I'm aware of that, but for every couple of thousand views there is at least one view that clicks an ad.

Course you can use advertising, though i can tell you no matter how normal or innocent an ad looks like it can still come with a virus.
And I agree on that, unfortunately :/
It'd be good to find a way of keeping the server alive without incentive to donate.

C

Cubey

How can I earn radiants? Voting is bit slow and is there any other way to get more radiants? I can't buy Legend because I will lose Horse keep access if rank is automatically change to legend from subscriber :( damnit Mojang!

I would have had 6k rads as payday today from subscriber :(

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
Y
How can I earn radiants? Voting is bit slow and is there any other way to get more radiants? I can't buy Legend because I will lose Horse keep access if rank is automatically change to legend from subscriber :( damnit Mojang!

I would have had 6k rads as payday today from subscriber :(
ou have till a certain month that this goes into effect

Spark

Broken
They say you can't charge hard currency to gain an advantage on the server but this is a server where roleplay is the primary focus. So since the things given in donation ranks don't count towards roleplay (ranks, /fly, money, pocket thingy), surely that's not technically gaining an advantage over players as they can't use them for roleplaying.
Like a PvP server selling... wool blocks. The players don't gain any PvP advantage by having wool blocks therefore it's not an advantage over other players that haven't donated.

Pretty lame idea but still...

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
You can't sell/reward anything that gives the player an advantage unless said privilege is given to ALL players. Something interesting is that you can donate for privileges as long as said privileges are given to all players for however long that donation supplies said privilege. Maybe we could implement some sort of lottery idea where, if a player donates, all players currently online get a lottery ticket, and whoever has the winning ticket gets a bunch of radiants or something. Just throwing ideas around, anybody else got some other ideas?

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
Also, I believe Mojang stated that all servers have until the 1st August to ensure that their server complies with the EULA

Mad Hatter

All is as it should be.
A quick idea. What if we gathered up all the perks that are possible and removed them at the start of a specific period of time. We then could proceed to unlock them for everyone as the donations made increased. Much like the way telethons are run. After a certain period, say three months, we could reset the perks and repeat the process. Important perks like fly could be the first to unlock with the superficial ones unlocking later. Just a thought.

Another thought I had was that we could offer rewards of art done by the community, or prizes like stickers, trading cards and pins. The more you contribute the more cool HollowWorld gear you can earn. I would pay to get a hoodie printed with a HollowWorld logo and mail it to whoever donated the most over a three month period :D

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
A quick idea. What if we gathered up all the perks that are possible and removed them at the start of a specific period of time. We then could proceed to unlock them for everyone as the donations made increased. Much like the way telethons are run. After a certain period, say three months, we could reset the perks and repeat the process. Important perks like fly could be the first to unlock with the superficial ones unlocking later. Just a thought.

Another thought I had was that we could offer rewards of art done by the community, or prizes like stickers, trading cards and pins. The more you contribute the more cool HollowWorld gear you can earn. I would pay to get a hoodie printed with a HollowWorld logo and mail it to whoever donated the most over a three month period :D
Thats a great idea. I think we might try the more simpler approach first just to see how things pan out and how generous the community actually is. If it doesn't work we most certainly will have to look at something like you describe.

Pirapple

Lord of Altera

This sounds awesome.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
That's actually a really good point I've not seen mentioned anywhere, Cubey!

Does the EULA cover merch?

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
That's actually a really good point I've not seen mentioned anywhere, Cubey!

Does the EULA cover merch?
No because it has nothing to do with ingame things. Merch would be safe just as long as we dont include assesst fromthe game

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
No because it has nothing to do with ingame things. Merch would be safe just as long as we dont include assesst fromthe game
Minecraft only brought the term griefing in the spotlight but that is difrent