Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

My unban appeal. (black magic?)

Shimat

Villager
So i got amessage when trying to log in: "Black Magic is forbidden in Altera!"
Yes, this is perfectly fine with me, as well as i am aware of this, but there's a problem. I have never used anything to find ores illegitimately - neither mods, nor texture packs.

In my defence i can only tell you one thing. Whenever i log into the game (or when a new chunk is loading) i have these several seconds, during which i am able to see everything, but stone and dirt in the chunk, which enables me to essentially see ores. I confess i abused this yesterday in someone's mine, yet never have i thought this would be considered neither modding, nor using a hacked texture pack.

I am really getting attatched to the server, even though it hasn't even been a week since i joined, so i am very incontent with myself that i haven't thought that there is a possibility of this misunderstanding happen in advance.
All i can say is that i will never use neither this, nor any other game bugs to my advantage. I do not want to leave this (or any other) realm known as a "black mage".

P.S. Also, if you checked the bans database (which you probably did) you couldn't have noticed that this very case is my first ever ban during the almost two years of playing.

That is all.

dracoboy2

Lord of Altera
If it means anything, he is a really committed player. He comes on often, loves the server. The fact he donated $50 within the first week proves that...

I think he should be reset, and maybe rank remove or something... thats my (meaningless) 2 cent

Infernohawk

Lord of Altera
Just my thoughts:

While the ToC does specify not using mods or texture packs, it does not specify using chunk loading, and recently there has been an uptick in the number of players banned for this reason. Perhaps it should be included in the tome of citizenship. In fact, just looking at the the tome there is no mention of x-ray in the first place, but rather that is in the server rules page, a different page entirely that is not mentioned as far as I can see in the application process. Perhaps that should be added?

Just my 2 cents.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
If it means anything, he is a really committed player. He comes on often, loves the server. The fact he donated $50 within the first week proves that...

I think he should be reset, and maybe rank remove or something... thats my (meaningless) 2 cent
the donation has no bearing on the case.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
So i got amessage when trying to log in: "Black Magic is forbidden in Altera!"
Yes, this is perfectly fine with me, as well as i am aware of this, but there's a problem. I have never used anything to find ores illegitimately - neither mods, nor texture packs.

In my defence i can only tell you one thing. Whenever i log into the game (or when a new chunk is loading) i have these several seconds, during which i am able to see everything, but stone and dirt in the chunk, which enables me to essentially see ores. I confess i abused this yesterday in someone's mine, yet never have i thought this would be considered neither modding, nor using a hacked texture pack.

I am really getting attatched to the server, even though it hasn't even been a week since i joined, so i am very incontent with myself that i haven't thought that there is a possibility of this misunderstanding happen in advance.
All i can say is that i will never use neither this, nor any other game bugs to my advantage. I do not want to leave this (or any other) realm known as a "black mage".

P.S. Also, if you checked the bans database (which you probably did) you couldn't have noticed that this very case is my first ever ban during the almost two years of playing.

That is all.

not all servers are tied into the global ban systems. this server uses its own database

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
there is no mention of x-ray in the first place, but rather that is in the server rules page, a different page entirely that is not mentioned as far as I can see in the application process. Perhaps that should be added?.
Are you serious?

A quote from THE APPLICATION PROCESS

We have active members of staff monitoring players suspected of using X-RAY. We have extensive logging capabilities which also highlight to us when X-RAY is suspected. Anyone caught using X-RAY mods, ore location mods or Transparent Texture Packs will be permanently banned without appeal. You have been warned.

I'm not going to get involved - it wasn't my ban. This recent upsurge in claims of using chunk loading errors is wearing thin on me - I have never in my years of playing this game EVER been able to see such a glitch during loading. It simply does not happen to the extent you would be caught by our x-ray investigators.

It seems people are just using this as a weak excuse to avoid the truth that they did in fact use some kind of hack or texture pack.

I'll await further insight into my feelings once I have seen how much you mined and over what period of time.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
I agree with Cherbert, and was just about to say as much.
This chunk thing is total BS. I have one of the worst pcs on the server, and i lag all the time.
Often times, chunks wont load. Sometimes occasionally the surface wont load, and i am able to see where there are caves, which appear as huge black snake like figures. These only last for a few seconds, but regtardless they wouldnt help me whilst mining.
Never, EVER do particular parts of a chunk load without loading the rest of the chunk.
Minecraft simply doesnt work that way. It doesnt load blocks individually, it loads by chunks and chunk-bits. (8 x 8 x 8 sections)
So unless you have modded ur client (breaking server rules) then what you descrbie couldnt happen.
Occasionally, we se what are called world holes, where a chunk doesnt load and so u can see the corresponding outline edges of four chunks around it. It is true, that it is possible one could see diamond this way.
BUT
Said diamonds would be ONLY on the edges of a chunk, and we check for that.
Regardless, its still against the rules to abuse lag and glitches.

Shimat

Villager
not all servers are tied into the global ban systems.
Both of the ones i played were tied to mcbans. I will specify the server names if needed.

I have never in my years of playing this game EVER been able to see such a glitch during loading.
Probably you didn't play at an average of 10 to 16 FPS for quite prolongued periods of time too. Don't mean to sound harsh here.

I have seen how much you mined and over what period of time.
I never thought staff would take unban appeals that serious. Also i was pretty sure that i have virtually no chance to get unbanned, provided the ammount of time i spent on the server so far. Now i have a hope. Thank you.

bodejodel

Reaching for the Heavens
Retired Staff
bodejodel
bodejodel
Ban appeals are taken VERY serious, since no good mod/admin would ever want to ban an innocent player...
Some people may think otherwise, but we HATE to ban players. (I know I do...)

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
This chunk lag thing is rediculous. Also Legion I have the exact same thing, but I think we both use that .bat file in our mc folders, I played mc without it and was getting world holes like these excuses use. However, I have never gotten these lagging chunks whilst mining.

Anyway, I was the one obsessively checking diamond breaks enough to catch this one. I do take it seriously, since xraying (or 'block lag') ruins the fun for other players. For example. We had an xrayer mine 427 diamonds last week. I had to tell someone who had mined out a massive area that this guy had just come through and gotten all the diamonds, he had to move his mining.

It's 'just one vein' or 'just a little bug'. Someone else could've mined it properly, and gotten genuinely excited over finding diamonds. That was Colbinator's mine you went through, if I see him online I'll have to tell him to stuff trying to find diamonds there too :I.

Infernohawk

Lord of Altera
Are you serious?

A quote from THE APPLICATION PROCESS

I'm not going to get involved - it wasn't my ban. This recent upsurge in claims of using chunk loading errors is wearing thin on me - I have never in my years of playing this game EVER been able to see such a glitch during loading. It simply does not happen to the extent you would be caught by our x-ray investigators.

It seems people are just using this as a weak excuse to avoid the truth that they did in fact use some kind of hack or texture pack.

I'll await further insight into my feelings once I have seen how much you mined and over what period of time.
Hmm... very well then. It seems I missed that. Sorry about that. However, there still is not a section in the tome itself, which I still think should be included seeing as this is an extremely important issue. And if you are indeed tired of the appeals people are making about chunk loading, then why not include it in the rules so there is clearer action to be taken when people make the excuse?

Again, just my humble 2 cents.

Shimat

Villager
>This chunk lag thing is rediculous.
My rough estimate of the number of diamonds i mined on the server is about 60, taking into the account that i spent around 3/4 of my time online underground. In the said mine i uh... found about 9 diamonds as well as mined out all the uncovered ores i saw (the latter is mainly to level mining, besides Colbinator probably didn't need them since they stayed there.

>Anyway, I was the one obsessively checking diamond breaks enough to catch this one
>It's 'just one vein' or 'just a little bug'
> :I
Moving on to your whole reply, Sally, i suppose it means "no" (as in no unban).

Well, i was hoping i wouldn't have to say this, but despite the fact that i have been on for just several days, i am really sad about the fact i got banned and i will miss this experience i had during the times i was actually communicating to people and tried to rp. And if the next means anything to you - neither do i spend an average of 6 hours on a server daily, nor do i donate if i'm not planning to stay for a long time. As i read the rules i was fully aware of xraying and such being "bad" and even thought at first that excess usage of flying was the reason i got banned, as only now i have realized that i didnt have to find a side-mod for that. Was sure that fly mods, kill auras, and smart movement mods were "black magic" too, hence the thought.

But, if you put me on the hacker bench - im not going to complain about that action much. There's nothing i can do to prove myself not guilty anyway. Instead i'll just walk off in shame and learn the lesson.

Colbinator, i apologize.

Voislav: bye

qq

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
Okay, well, I did let someone else off with a 2 week ban for this kind of thing. Considering you didn't mine too many diamonds using this bug, would you be willing to wait 2 weeks and having all your items and chests removed? (I think it's unfair to remove ranks >> )

Edit: I'll have to modify the TOC to list block lag mining, because if this comes up again, there'll be no mercy :I..

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Tbh sally i think the re-appeal in 3 months would be more suited here. This chunk thing is a stupid excuse, and people are using it because we cant see their jar file and we dont know how good/bad their computer is.
But, not my ban, and you have more information than i do, so your call.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
He didn't cheat for too many diamonds. But I am getting tired of this chunk lag excuse. If we get it in the ToC properly, then there'll be no excuses from now on.

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
This will be in the TOC at the next version, Lars and I are working on it at the moment.

For the record I've noticed a lot more chunk lag when using certain versions of optifine, the multi-core version is particularly bad for me for some reason, which is why I've ditched it entirely - game actually runs at 3x the framerate without optifine.

matyio

The original mute
I can't with options or any other graphics enhancing mods on, but any chunk lag I get means I can only see caves about 10 chunks away, it makes the side of the walls invisible, the only time I've ever had different was ona friends temporary server when the loading glitched and rendered a whole swathe of the surface with air. So as far as I know, unless he was running one of the graphic enhancing mods, then ores shouldn't be visible. This is with an ok computer though so it could be entirely wrong. (as usual with my posts on unban appeals, delete if you feel this doesnt help or need t be here)

itsemiel

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
They/Them
I'd say that Shimat just gets lucky for this time, but everyone after this application who claims to have used loading chunks to get to their ores will just be ignored and stay banned. There's a reason for the fact that no appeals on x-ray should be accepted and these weak excuses about loading chunks only make it so that people can x-ray and get away with it. If we add a part about using loading chunks to find ores to the kings law and make it clear that it's as bad as x-ray, I think future appeals will be easier to solve.
X-ray or using loading chunks? Perm ban.

ReapingFaith

True Bandit
I have spoken with Shimat on Teamspeak a few times and I entirely agree with Dracoboy's comment, he is an extremely nice guy and very commited. I do not think he should be banned for this, if it's proven he used x-ray I reccomend few months ban and reset. But for the chunk lag? Few weeks at most. Not perma. I would hate to see Shimat go, he is a very nice person and RUSSIAN :D

OSirixO

Loyal Servant of Altera
This is based on a personal opinion about someone.

Just because he happens to be in teamspeak, and just because you (or anyone) else like hims, shouldn't make any difference on the outcome of this appeal.

As a moderator you need to stay objective at all times and handle all similar cases the same way.