Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

"New Life Rule" Clarification

billybob_579

Legend of Altera
As someone with past roleplaying experience on other servers and games, one constant guideline I've seen is the "New Life Rule." It stipulates that if you die, you should not retain In-Character knowledge of the person who killed you. By extent, you cannot hunt him down and take revenge on him for killing you. It simply detracts from roleplay. (Obviously, there are instances when this would need to be voided. For example, if a town leader is murdered by one of his residents, he should be able to do something about it.)

I post this because I haven't heard a single mention of NLR (New Life Rule) on HollowWorld. I've been here since 1.6, and as I've watched the roleplay value of this server increase, I've still never heard anyone speak of it, act according to it, or be punished for ignoring it.

I post this because I think NLR, as a guideline for decision-making if nothing else, would benefit the server populace. I'm not sure if this belongs in "Suggestions" or not since its related to roleplay, but I'd appreciate a mod moving this if it is out of place.

B

Bellon the Wise

Hmm I don't know. I don't like the finality of death. I like how LOTRO deals with it. Where no one really dies (unless they choose to) but the are instead defeated.

billybob_579

Legend of Altera
A fair point, but in that instance people can just run about "defeating" one another when really the attacker intends to kill them. The one who was attacked would simply claim he was "defeated," not killed. I haven't personally played LOTRO, but I don't think they'd have that feature if they were strong about roleplay. In my experience, MMO's don't care so much about having great qualities like roleplay as they do having income.

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
We don't really die on Hollow either, just get severely injured and then revived by the Sisterhood.

VanGarrett

Lord of Altera
No, we definitely die I think. If you are role playing, and you get killed, then you should be out. After all Bellon, didn't you write that story about bringing Geo back to life? Didn't someone write one other time before this about this kind of thing? I specifically remember reading "if someone kills you then just get your stuff from your recovery chest and stay away from them in future if you can't get along" or along those lines anyway.

OR! if you die in role play, you have to pick a new character altogether!!! (evil laughter at the implausibility of this idea)

Further of more! A thing I don't like in minecraft is the focus a lot of people put into combat. Basically since it is a 4 strike and death match with diamond sword (or 2 I'm not sure) and limited jumping capabilities or moving etc there really is very little possibility of making a match of it.

I know there will be those of you out there (Legion) who will argue that it revolves around using these limited capabilities with skill to get the most out of it, that potions enchanting and running mean that there is a lot more capable of being done in BATTLE. To a degree then, yes but I still won't agree!

I want role playing to revolve less around killing things and more about... other things! Someone said small role playing (ikbenlars), and that is what I will play it to revolve around. This is why Darkwood exists, so people can play proper medieval character roles. Fantasy in a sense, but mainly medieval. Normal medieval.

Beyond that and onto another! I think people could tone down their rp profiles as well, it's all very well and good saying "I'm a magic evil ice man who wants to do good but is crazy and drinks ghast tears (?) by the pint, but I will live in this village for the quiet life..." Instead people writing character portraits for themselves shouldnt be afraid to go for a (relatively) normal profile.

It's more fun than you would think. I for example, when I first came to altera originally set up a little wooden shack and a wheat farm and role played as a peasant in the wilderness. It didn't help that there was a crazy large castle right across the valley, which in turn was right next to another crazy large castle, which in turn was right next to a large village with floating bits of land and yet another castle. But I did what I could. I limited myself to wooden tools, wasn't allowed or mine or anything. It was actually excellent fun! I remember thinking that that's what minecraft was about. Struggling for survival, battling against the forces of nature to eke out a living. That sort of subsistence settling. It would be even more fun now with the hunger bar... Then I went on Holiday and when I came back there had been the first map reset. The only reason that I have to role play a Lord is that I accidentally built a giant castle and had to have a reason for living in it... and redarrow and Cherbert said I had to donate to the server if I wanted to prevent people from constantly greifing my castle :p

So in the end, all I would like to say is keep it realistic. I didn't mean to make this post so long, sorry if I got off topic a little.

billybob_579

Legend of Altera
I agree, VanGarrett. My initial plan when I joined the server (I stated it in my application and everything) was to become a farmer in some quiet area and just enjoy some passive RP. Ironically, though, other people began settling on my island and we formed a town, giving me my first taste of mayordom.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
No way to real way to enforce it and we do have the Grove of Shalherana....