Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Request] Altera Timeline

Tomahawk777

King's Hand
Hello artists of Hollowworld,​
I have something important to do for you.​
Doesn't this look ugly and boring?​
Could anyone of you change that and make the wiki a better place?​
Maybe a nice graphic or picture, that fit in the layout of the wiki and in the upright format of the side.​
That would be so nice of you.​
PS: I will also try to reward the best one.​
Thanks in advance​
Tomahawk777 (Ulrych Lonmar)​

AlteranMyth

Villager
By "a nice graphic or picture" do you mean converting the timeline itself into an image, or just a cover illustration?

The doubt it is the former, but I would still like to point out that it would not be wiki-friendly, as it becomes possible for only the original creator of the image to update it - also a burden on them. If that is wanted, I suggest using Timeline.js or similar, as then links are functional, it is updated easily, and others are able to edit the information (via a Google spreadsheet).

Also, what is meant by "fit in the layout of the wiki and in the upright format of the side"?

Tomahawk777

King's Hand
I mean an image, with the information of the timeline, just with a nice background ( old paper ) and medival fonts.

It dont updated that often, so its Ok.

With fit in the layout means that I want the picture (background) fitting with the layout of the wiki.
And it shall be upright format, so it better can be place on a upright format page (like the wiki pages) without making it too small to see.

AlteranMyth

Villager
I would create one, but I don't agree with converting HTML text on the Internet into bitmaps. It is a crime on accessibility (think about people who use screen readers) and they are highly inflexible, especially considering this is information on a wiki, which is rendered impossible for other members of the community to contribute without re-creating the image or needing to hunt-down the author.

To work around those problems, you could leave the text beneath the image - but then of course, if someone edits the text information, the bitmap version will no longer match.
So, if you really want to go all-out, create a custom wiki page with a Timeline.js widget, and a link to the spreadsheet.

AlteranMyth

Villager
Simple now, awkward later on. It's bad practice, and that is why I am discouraging it.

Text on the Internet should be hypertext… I.e. the thing, specifically designed for text… on the Internet…

AlteranMyth

Villager
My gripe is in the entire page being a single image replacing what is really text, simply because it looks a little better.
That is to say, no information is being added by converting what is represented by the hypertext into an image.

What you are losing is all the benefits hypertext has, such as: hyperlinked text, the ability for screen readers to relay the information to blind users, copy and pasting the text, editing the text easily by community members, and the ability for search engine web crawlers to analyse the text.

I understand why you would want it to look nice, I am just urging you not to make a bad compromise.
Create a visual timeline, that is a great idea, but at least have hypertext format somewhere as well (you could even have a link to it on another page).

ptiber

El programming zorro
Retired Staff
That could be an interactive timeline.... :p
Just sayin..... :D

PS : yes, I do interactive stuff, if you're interested :)