Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Roleplay with medieval speech?

Do you want Medieval Speech in Roleplay?

• Total voters

Karasu1996

Lord of Altera
Have you ever thought that, "why are we talking normally in a medieval RP server?"
well, I and a few other admins have stated that this server is lacking Medieval speech, we encourage that you use medieval terms such as, "Thus,Ye,Hath,Thou, Etc." to lengthen RP feel of the server.
For now this will be encouraged only in RP events, later we will encourage it be used in the RP chat "local" this may be monitored may not, it is to be determined.

thank you

for some examples click the link below:
http://www.thescriptorium.co.uk/glossary.php

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
To an extent i support it.
For things like rp events and glodal rp channel this is good.
But if someone wants to go rp with their friend by themselves and rp and use local chat, then i think that it is ok for them to talk how they like for a few reasons:
1 By using local chanel and rping by themselves, no one else can see them talking at all
2 Due to this, if it were inforced then the staff would need to actively seek out those in local rp, ultimately disrupting game play
3 What if the people have their own language or dialect or speech style in their rp? They should be allowed their own speak

That being said i think we should be leninet for people who havnt yet learned the terms from the link or do not have English as a first language.

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
There is no proof they spoke like that. You are assuming everyone in Medieval England went around talking like they were in a Shakespeare play.

bettymorlock

Queen/I build cyber weapons dnt mess with me♥
There is no proof they spoke like that. You are assuming everyone in Medieval England went around talking like they were in a Shakespeare play.
Shakespeare wrote fancy for even his time so to answer that which was not a question no they did not

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
Assuming everyone did speak like that is similar to people in the future watching Scrubs and assuming that's how we all lived.. ;)

It'd over complicate it, let's stick to nice simple RP done well :)

Karasu1996

Lord of Altera
yes i know this it was just a suggestion i know that people didn't necessarily speak like this but, i thought it was a good idea to get a poll on the idea that's all

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
Have you ever thought that, "why are we talking normally in a medieval RP server?"
well, I and a few other admins have stated that this server is lacking Medieval speech, we encourage that you use medieval terms such as, "Thus,Ye,Hath,Thou, Etc." to lengthen RP feel of the server.
For now this will be encouraged only in RP events, later we will encourage it be used in the RP chat "local" this may be monitored may not, it is to be determined.

thank you

for some examples click the link below:
http://www.thescriptorium.co.uk/glossary.php
I really hate when people say this is the medieval thing.
The server says its also rennisance.
People talked like we do today back then, just in a different language.
Even in medieval times, they did not say "Thou has come to my house for dinner"
That is really only said like that when a king talks down on lower classes or when someone talks to a king.
otherwise, they talk normally.
In fact, people in medieval times used more words then we do today.

Brian Ithal

Villager
I really hate when people say this is the medieval thing.
In fact, people in medieval times used more words then we do today.
I'm going to need a source for this. I'm pretty confident that I as a university student with two majors and three minors have a far larger vocabulary than the average serf. Not to mention all the neat new words we get as technological advances are made.

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
I'm going to need a source for this. I'm pretty confident that I as a university student with two majors and three minors have a far larger vocabulary than the average serf. Not to mention all the neat new words we get as technological advances are made.
lol brian i meant on the server itself.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Potential problems i see with this:
people forgetting

people who dont have english as a first language

increase of powergaming (Typing a sentence or action wil take longer, to make it fit the medieval style, thus allowing a player to slip in an action before the other has time to rp properly)

dificulty to decide fair punishment

and according to what i have heard and to the little i have learned about this, not everyone spoke like that. The average serf was usually illiterate. Only kings and very high class spoke like this. In fact the way we talk on the server in ooc is much better than the way serfs (~85% of the population) spoke

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
Potential problems i see with this:
people forgetting

people who dont have english as a first language

increase of powergaming (Typing a sentence or action wil take longer, to make it fit the medieval style, thus allowing a player to slip in an action before the other has time to rp properly)

dificulty to decide fair punishment

and according to what i have heard and to the little i have learned about this, not everyone spoke like that. The average serf was usually illiterate. Only kings and very high class spoke like this. In fact the way we talk on the server in ooc is much better than the way serfs (~85% of the population) spoke
You continue to talk about one set of people.
What about the itallians?
The british?
The Romans?
The Greeks?
The Spanish?
The Indians?
The Mayans?
and you might say "thats not english" but the server is a "Medieval, Rennisance, and Fantasy Server"

Shadowsmalls

The Anime loving Brony
You continue to talk about one set of people.
What about the itallians?
The british?
The Romans?
The Greeks?
The Spanish?
The Indians?
The Mayans?
and you might say "thats not english" but the server is a "Medieval, Rennisance, and Fantasy Server"
The Mayans weren't Medieval.....

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
errr tough... i specifically noted a concern for people WHO DID NOT have english as a first language. So i really dont see your point.....
And yeah, they arent english (well british is)
Woah! This is an Medieval server? Wow i had no idea!
/me disengage sarcasm

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
errr tough... i specifically noted a concern for people WHO DID NOT have english as a first language. So i really dont see your point.....
And yeah, they arent english (well british is)
Woah! This is an Medieval server? Wow i had no idea!
/me disengage sarcasm
lol go Rubarb yourself xD
Medieval cursing.
gotta love it