Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Sailors?

Uncray

Lord of Altera
Calling all sailors:
How do you RP your character's profession? I understand there are events such as the Eyes of Silas which are heavily planned and organised, but I am just curious as to how sailors RP their day-to-day life which would, ultimately, include sailing. Most jobs are easier to emote since they are in one place but sailing... I have no idea.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Calling all sailors:
How do you RP your character's profession? I understand there are events such as the Eyes of Silas which are heavily planned and organised, but I am just curious as to how sailors RP their day-to-day life which would, ultimately, include sailing. Most jobs are easier to emote since they are in one place but sailing... I have no idea.
Depends, for William who use to be involved in some.. less then just sailing, and privateering, sadly alot of his work had to be displayed as 'backstory' or happening off stage simply to further the character. Aside from that, you could also take care of your ship, do repairs, or even work on docks with trade and such, it depends on you.

For William, he branched off from sailing and became a Shipwright.

Uncray

Lord of Altera
Depends, for William who use to be involved in some.. less then just sailing, and privateering, sadly alot of his work had to be displayed as 'backstory' or happening off stage simply to further the character. Aside from that, you could also take care of your ship, do repairs, or even work on docks with trade and such, it depends on you.

For William, he branched off from sailing and became a Shipwright.
I do like the idea of the repairs/ keeping the place shipshape (see what I did?) and yeah, I guess the actual "sailing" would have to be done outside of RP.. I really can't see how it could be done without a proper event with staff involvement, sadly :(

d_fry

Lord of Altera
My sailor character Calder visits port towns in RP. Ill start at the docks and RP unloading a shipment and then deliver it to someone in town. I once had (and hope to soon have again) a physical ship at a port where I could invite other characters for drinks and cards. Most characters in Altera stay on land so I revolve sailor RPs around being at port. Also there was at one point an RP voyage set up to Havens Reach that could be used at anytime. Something like that could be done again maybe but im not sure exactly how they did it? Another option to explore could be having ship stats and rolling for battles but im uncertain of the staff's view on that. One could in theory also have a copy of a ship in the middle of the ocean that players could TP to to play out a voyage.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
I do like the idea of the repairs/ keeping the place shipshape (see what I did?) and yeah, I guess the actual "sailing" would have to be done outside of RP.. I really can't see how it could be done without a proper event with staff involvement, sadly :(
I've actually done sailing without staff once before; What we did was all stand on the boat and RP it out like we were out on the seas, Sailing RP is really fun, just hard to organize due to the amount of people you need. I recently did one with one of William's longships in Myrneth with @Cukie1 and @Princess Wizard Laura Its fairly simple and fun~
My sailor character Calder visits port towns in RP. Ill start at the docks and RP unloading a shipment and then deliver it to someone in town. I once had (and hope to soon have again) a physical ship at a port where I could invite other characters for drinks and cards. Most characters in Altera stay on land so I revolve sailor RPs around being at port. Also there was at one point an RP voyage set up to Havens Reach that could be used at anytime. Something like that could be done again maybe but im not sure exactly how they did it? Another option to explore could be having ship stats and rolling for battles but im uncertain of the staff's view on that. One could in theory also have a copy of a ship in the middle of the ocean that players could TP to to play out a voyage.
I saw you in Myrneth the other day! We need to RP sometime, I think our characters would get along~

Uncray

Lord of Altera
Hmm, I for one actually really love the idea of the ship in the middle of the ocean, but more than one group of players may use it at once which would be a little weird, like "how did you get on our ship?!" but I'm sure theres all sorts of complications like regions n stuff with that idea. And I agree, most RP would probably be done at port but it would be so fun to have some kind of actual sailing RP, it would be something different~

d_fry

Lord of Altera
We need to RP sometime, I think our characters would get along~
Yeah! im definitely interested in figuring out Myrneth RP stuff since it used to be my town/project before I left. The salty Norvagen seaside RP Calder was made for is now possible since you guys have made it so awesome.

The ship TP worked like the old stables before horses existed in game. It could be locked to certain players by having the TP area in a ship cabin with a lockable door.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Yeah! im definitely interested in figuring out Myrneth RP stuff since it used to be my town/project before I left. The salty Norvagen seaside RP Calder was made for is now possible since you guys have made it so awesome.

The ship TP worked like the old stables before horses existed in game. It could be locked to certain players by having the TP area in a ship cabin with a lockable door.
William would love to meet the orignal 'owner' of the city for sure!

Uncray

Lord of Altera
So this has been a feature in the past?

d_fry

Lord of Altera
Well before we had the dock master things were set up so that when you entered a ship it brought you to an exact copy of it at another location. We had all sorts of shipping hubs like the Lonmar river port all over Altera for everything.

Uncray

Lord of Altera
Well before we had the dock master things were set up so that when you entered a ship it brought you to an exact copy of it at another location. We had all sorts of shipping hubs like the Lonmar river port all over Altera for everything.
Yeah I do remember that, and if you wanted to actually RP the voyage you could have like fast travel/slow travel which was cool~

Ddaug

Lord of Altera
Thanks to the Eyes of Silas events I've done, there is a copy of my ship in the middle of the ocean. I do occasionally go out there and rp sailing with a few folks alongside me. It's good fun, and even before that I would just jump on my docked ship and pretend it was out at sea.