Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

So you want to make an Organization?

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Theres something you ought to consider first:

DO NOT MAKE ORGANIZATIONS WHOSE STATED PURPOSE IS NOT SOMETHING THAT ISNT REALLY NECESSARY OR RELEVANT.

I see this all the time hell I am even guilty of it myself. I see all these organizations who have formed to perform X task, but in Altera X task is already done, doesn't need to be performed, or doesn't really apply.
Take for example the idea of an organization whose stated purpose is to kill monsters and abominations. A sort of Vigiliants of Stendarr for Altera, if you will. There have been several of these in the past.
But they never stuck around, because there was really no reason for them to exist. Someone started it because they thought that it would be cool to have an organization that went and killed monsters.
But what they didnt consider is that, in Altera, there aren't a whole heck of a lot of monsters to kill. Theres no market for monster killing. So they fall apart because they don't end up doing a whole lot because theres not all that much for them to do.
An assassins guild is in precarious territory also. There is some market for assassination in Altera, but it is not a large one, and for obvious reason: killing someone isnt a good way to solve any problems, they just get resurrected.

So when you are making an organization, do something that actually needs to be done or is at least relevant to Altera. If you can make money by doing it, you know you are doing it right. (You can still be right and not be making money, Im saying that if you are in fact making money though, you can certain youre thing is good)

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
An assassins guild is in precarious territory also. There is some market for assassination in Altera, but it is not a large one, and for obvious reason: killing someone isnt a good way to solve any problems, they just get resurrected.
You're obviously not King Thorius in the last three days, Legion.

It seems like ALL assassin's guilds of Altera all took the same bounty on his head...

Fronslin

Based on what?
Retired Staff
Fronslin
Fronslin
Good
I wonder what organization would be good to make.
I can think a few good ones

Even a few with ulterior motives

*watches thread and sneaks away*

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Any more tips?

I have a few:
Be active towards said Organization- with whatever you do. Current members feel as if they are actively taking part in something whilst rp. It brings in more new people as time goes on, growing the organization. It keeps it alive.
Not only should it be relevant- but it should also be of interest to more than just one or two people.
Communicate with your members- Otherwise they will lose interest and feel left out. People deciding to leave means a soon-to-be frail Organization.

..That's all I have so far-

Scardrac

Felsummer
Absurd or strict standards. People may not want to join a group that makes people keep themselves a secret to the public, or limit the roleplay in a bad way. It may also go for joining standards. While, yeah, maybe sometimes secretive membership is cool.. But not with things like a smithing guild or a hunters guild or something.

(This wasn't pointed at anyone, to clarify..)

The Living Ghost

Thing One
Retired Staff
Take for example the idea of an organization whose stated purpose is to kill monsters and abominations. A sort of Vigiliants of Stendarr for Altera, if you will. There have been several of these in the past.
But they never stuck around, because there was really no reason for them to exist. Someone started it because they thought that it would be cool to have an organization that went and killed monsters.
But what they didnt consider is that, in Altera, there aren't a whole heck of a lot of monsters to kill. Theres no market for monster killing. So they fall apart because they don't end up doing a whole lot because theres not all that much for them to do.
*whistles, mumbling something about the Guardians toootally being a college the whole time..*

Mryosi

Lord of Altera
killing someone isnt a good way to solve any problems, they just get resurrected.
Considering this IC is meta gaming, isn't?
The rules say that you ought to live each life as it were your last- so I assume that you also need to treat others like that?

Scardrac

Felsummer
The rules say that you ought to live each life as it were your last- so I assume that you also need to treat others like that?
If anyone who has lived long enough to observe will learn that killing isn't really a punishment and that the morals of the individuals will not change with the initial or subsequent death.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Right, yea its great you guys are back and all, but the slayers is a perfect example of what Im talking about here, and even in their time there were still darkbloods around.

The rule is that, when killed, you dont remember precisely what killed you or how or why, but there is IC knowledge available to a large amount of the populace that the sisterhood exists and what they do.

Morpheus

Lord of Altera
Villager
Morpheus_Dream
Morpheus_Dream
Villager
I'm not sure what your point with the dark bloods is because we attempted to kill them also.
I still disagree that there was never a market for monster hunting... I maintain that there are still opportunities for monster hunting now.
It all depends on definition.

Mryosi

Lord of Altera
Right, yea its great you guys are back and all, but the slayers is a perfect example of what Im talking about here, and even in their time there were still darkbloods around.

The rule is that, when killed, you dont remember precisely what killed you or how or why, but there is IC knowledge available to a large amount of the populace that the sisterhood exists and what they do.
The Sisterhood thread says:
Any who allow themselves death whilst relying on the Sisterhood would never be a fit warrior against Grief.
Those who throw their life away, will die, and will stay deceased.
It is only those who live each life as if it was their last that do get revived.

( If you decide to start using the Sisterhood as a crutch to get out of nasty situations rather then facing consequence, then you are meta-gaming and being incredibly OP, both of which is against server rules. All the necessary action will be taken against such meta-gamers and power players. )
So doesn't it apply for killing other people?