Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Socioeconomic divides in Altera

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
Ever since Port Silver was destroyed, I've yet to see a city be created which creates a similar landscape to the lower district, which was obviously poorer, less safe, and allowed really creative criminal roleplay, and poorer characters to flourish. I've visited most cities on the server, and they're all filled with magnificent structures or well constructed homes, but there seems to be no quantifiable economic divide between rich and poor. Sure some players roleplay poorer folk, but they're often found inside the Crossroads Inn, which is absurdly plush tavern for anyone below upper merchant class, or nobility. This is basically a plea for city owners to work towards poorer districts, cause I know I'd be one of the first to create a petty criminal character to inhabit a hovel somewhere. Doing this would open up an enormous amount of roleplay I've been missing since Darko held court in Port Silver.

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
Houses there start at 50 and never cost more then 500r. Its about half built but weve been rping that there was a fire so the unfinished structers are IC. Also if your into pettey crime look no further than the Theive's Guild

;D

@Balatro and @Aldion thanks for bringing up Tambry. :D

Tambry was and is designed for all players to enjoy and appreciate. We have no racial, religions, or social class restrictions. We planned it out this way precisely because of the fall of Port Silver. We also have close regions that represent all three classification tags: Peaceful--Coopershire (owned by @BrianAT16), Moderate--Tambry and Cochran, and Violent--Tambry undercity.

Cochran is our "poor district" with property as low as 30 rads! We also get a fair number of scum and villainy in our comprehensive sewers, although their presence in our sewers nearly started a catastrophic war a while back.

I know a few other cities are working or planning on adding poorer districts. A while back there was a forum discussion regarding the topic of having too many middle class characters due to the nature of the voting for income system. The simple fact is people only play poor if they are 1) very new or 2) they choose to. Most players tend to play middle class, and due to lack of housing shortages, there's plenty of middle class houses to go around.

I hope this helps!

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
I had a look at Tambry, and while it's fantastic, it just doesn't give the vibe of desperation/hardship that truly poor people in these kind of cities would face. I'll definitely start roleplaying there though, looks great!

I had a look at Tambry, and while it's fantastic, it just doesn't give the vibe of desperation/hardship that truly poor people in these kind of cities would face. I'll definitely start roleplaying there though, looks great!
Check the southeast district. It might be what you're looking for.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Ever since Port Silver was destroyed, I've yet to see a city be created which creates a similar landscape to the lower district, which was obviously poorer, less safe, and allowed really creative criminal roleplay, and poorer characters to flourish. I've visited most cities on the server, and they're all filled with magnificent structures or well constructed homes, but there seems to be no quantifiable economic divide between rich and poor. Sure some players roleplay poorer folk, but they're often found inside the Crossroads Inn, which is absurdly plush tavern for anyone below upper merchant class, or nobility. This is basically a plea for city owners to work towards poorer districts, cause I know I'd be one of the first to create a petty criminal character to inhabit a hovel somewhere. Doing this would open up an enormous amount of roleplay I've been missing since Darko held court in Port Silver.
Someone hasn't gone into the murky depths of the Havre sewers and catacomb poor district, affectionally nicknamed ''l'Oubliette'' ... ;)

I can't blame you, they're pretty hard to find, unless you're one of the poor, dubious sods that live deep inside of it's putrid canyons. If you want, I can give you a tour. they go down until the bedrock. There's even an inn down that (a pretty poopy one, but you'll understand... xD).

P.S: it's based off Blighttown, Dark Souls. We frenchmen don't want to openly show our poor class, so we force it to live underground. Turia has several faces.

Said ''Oubliettes'' are particularily designed for petty criminals, with entryways to sewers around the city, secret bases, and even a passage to the Castle!

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Stormhold's trade/labour district is its largest, followed by the artisan/craft distract. Next will be merchant class/lesser nobles, etc.

Sassy

Lord of Altera
Legend
SewSassy
SewSassy
Legend
Eadehleskal is being planned to have a larger, poorer, and more affordable district in its lower areas as-well. This will be tailored (pun intended) to those whose characters are good willed, but weak wallet-ed.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Check the Dirty Cauldron in Winterguard... There is a reason prices are high there and everything being mossy inside ;)

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
Azerport, the way it is planned is to have lower districts and higher districts like Old Port Silver. It will be built in theirs with more important and grander houses and public buildings the higher up you go.

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
give the vibe of desperation/hardship that truly poor people in these kind of cities would face
While it ain't quite finished, or really announced as've yet, that's th' exact vibe I was going for with regards t'Riseport.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
<Humor>
Vigil's rest will cater to only the discerning, top class PC. We have no need for hovels for the lower classes, or, for that matter, the lower classes at all.

They may, however, find a warm and welcoming home if they are dropped off as a corpse.
</Humor>

Tayo

Lord of Altera
It was after reading this post a week ago that I decided to really give Renatus a proper slum. I flattened part of the lower district and built a load of houses really close together to create a narrow maze of streets. I actually think I prefer it to the upper district now and it's probably my favourite part of the city.