Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Sorrowlands: Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stevey

We are currently brainstorming for ideas to bring back the Sorrowlands. We want to create a world for PvPers to enjoy, while not forcing players who don't want to pvp into pvp. We want to create the sorrowlands again, but we need incentive for players to go to that world rather than it just being another mining world.

We have some ideas of our own, but I'd be interested in hearing if you guys have good ideas that we haven't thought of yet. It's no garauntee we will do it, but we might just stumble into a really good idea that would work.

OlafStronghammer

Lord of Altera
I like the set up before of 24/7 night so that lots of mobs spawn and it is really inhospitable and difficult to travel safely. It shouldn't be the sort of place you can switch off for long. It just needs more quests and a reason for people to want to go there and take risks to gain reward. This will in turn attract bandits who will know certain areas and quest locations and probably lurk around them. But that should be taken into account when planning your quest.

Royo_Royal

Loyal Servant of Altera
i can say for atleast me .. some miners Will die in the sorrows =)

Love from the Bandit Lord :heart:

OlafStronghammer

Lord of Altera
Royo i think the idea is to have the Southern Wilds as a mining realm and create another new realm for the sorrows. So you wont be meeting miners anymore, more likely well prepared warriors on quests matey ;)

S

Stevey

i can say for atleast me .. some miners Will die in the sorrows =)
The Southern Wilds will still be the mining world. We don't want to kill off people that don't want to pvp, that's why we need to think of incentive for players to go to this new sorrowlands and start pvping.

I think adding quests is a really good idea, and so is making mobs a lot stronger and making them drop some extra loot. I was also toying with the idea of a 24h ban when you die, so it would be a hardcore world, similar to a hardcore server.

Royo_Royal

Loyal Servant of Altera
well there will be Miners there for
1 there no need to go so far for diamonds '

and If sorrows comes back i know where me and my lads will have there HQ =)

barryg

Real life redstone crafter
It would be nice to have a safe starting town. Maybe an NPC village with iron golems patrolling around. Some kind of neutral starting area.

Just like the Brustenburg starting area.

OlafStronghammer

Lord of Altera
24 hours :eek: That would certainly hurt. Btw i do have another slightly more sadistic idea for the sorrows...

I think there should be a punishment of banishment in certain cases where a persistant rule breaker or for a certain suitable crime people are banished to live in the sorrows for months at a time. You want your bandits some of these people will be perfect. We leave them with nothing at the start though and they will have to survive on their own from there. They are allowed no Radiants, and trading with them would be a crime in itself. After their term is up they can rejoin Altera but some may not wish too. This would be a good punishment for those who are not hackers or overly abusive etc more for persistant thieves and definately murder.

OSirixO

Loyal Servant of Altera
How about random bounty's on players who are in the Sorrowlands.

For example 4 players are there, ready and eager to go into battle.

1 is declared as a target, and for example all 4 players put 500r in the war treasury.
Winner (the one who makes the final kill), gets the war treasury.

-Each time the target manages to kill someone he receives 250 from the treasury
-When the hunters kill each other, in attempt to make the final blow, they can, but another 100 will go to the war treasury.
-When someone dies in that round, he's out and can't battle till the next round.
-When the hunters are all killed, target wins the treasury

There could be a ranking system attached to this, with stats and what not.

It will prevent the form of groups, where 2 or 3 people are waiting for someone who is alone and would be an easy target. And it would give more chance for anyone to win a round every now and then, even if they aren't as good as someone else when it comes to PVP skills.

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
24 hours :eek: That would certainly hurt. Btw i do have another slightly more sadistic idea for the sorrows...

I think there should be a punishment of banishment in certain cases where a persistant rule breaker or for a certain suitable crime people are banished to live in the sorrows for months at a time. You want your bandits some of these people will be perfect. We leave them with nothing at the start though and they will have to survive on their own from there. They are allowed no Radiants, and trading with them would be a crime in itself. After their term is up they can rejoin Altera but some may not wish too. This would be a good punishment for those who are not hackers or overly abusive etc more for persistant thieves and definately murder.
That is an awsome idea and a good alternative to the jail plugin. Exile!

itsemiel

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
They/Them
Imagine this:
A big land which has been corrupted and everyone who once lived there died, or flew away. It has become a wasteland with ruins and dead cities, with big holes and always burning fires. Monsters have become the master of the lands since the sun will never come up. This land has just been discovered by the kings of the Northern Kingdom and they think that it will be a good idea to send outlaws and madmen there. Only those with fear for their life or great courage will go there. There can be put in random chests which contain things like iron or seeds.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
It needs to look like a true ruined wasteland, like a ravaged battleground. Trees with no leaves and dirt with no grass, lava instead of water, would this be possible?

Auxilium

Cobblestone King
Whenever I think of the Sorrowlands, I think of this:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

Imagine an area with a grand castle on it. The players who able to capture and keep it captured will
have acces to valuable resources that is only accessible if you have own the castle. (think of an area underground protected by bedrock, which gets replenished every two weeks or so (easily done with world-edit).) Now; here is the fun part: other players will try to capture the castle themselfs as well, so to able to protect the castle, the team will have to repair traps, gates (can we protect only certain parts of the castle? Like: The walls will be protected, but not the gate?) and kill anyone trying to capture the castle. The attackers will have to plan their attack carefully as it should be difficult to capture it, and if they succeed on how to defend it.

This way, teamwork is required to capture/protect the keep and it will involve a LOT of PvP.
And, people will have the motivation to be active in this PvP activity as it has a great reward whoever succeeds in this task. And finally; it stimulate to use RP in PvP as well. Grand warfare with RP.. Yummie.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
Whenever I think of the Sorrowlands, I think of this:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

Imagine an area with a grand castle on it. The players who able to capture and keep it captured will
have acces to valuable resources that is only accessible if you have own the castle. (think of an area underground protected by bedrock, which gets replenished every two weeks or so (easily done with world-edit).) Now; here is the fun part: other players will try to capture the castle themselfs as well, so to able to protect the castle, the team will have to repair traps, gates (can we protect only certain parts of the castle? Like: The walls will be protected, but not the gate?) and kill anyone trying to capture the castle. The attackers will have to plan their attack carefully as it should be difficult to capture it, and if they succeed on how to defend it.

This way, teamwork is required to capture/protect the keep and it will involve a LOT of PvP.
And, people will have the motivation to be active in this PvP activity as it has a great reward whoever succeeds in this task. And finally; it stimulate to use RP in PvP as well. Grand warfare with RP.. Yummie.
Seems too minigame-y to me, we already have things like this in the works. It just needs to be a lawless world that looks a bit daunting and intimidating.

dracoboy2

Lord of Altera
Why not make it the hub for quests?

It would create a reason for people to go there and explore. Especially if more than one town was created, which could be linked by roads. These towns can be protected in some way, maybe towny- to prevent grief and pvp. But the main part of it, and the most fun part, would be that the wilderness is free pvp, grief, build etc. (with a no build zone a certain distance from the quest hub towns). This would be great because bandits would have prey, they could stalk the roads. But also people could form bandit hunting squads in the town inns, they could hire guards. The role-play which surrounds this concept would be amazing and allow for jobs that would never be needed in the normal Northern Kingdoms.

D

Deleted member 61

A hardcore world would be interesting... I once used to play on a hardcore server and when people know that they can up-set you (kill you and therefor ban you for a day) they often take a turn to the... Dark side. Some players make it their job to bring suffering by any means possible, and causing pain BECOMES the game. Though it could be fun, it could be catastrophic at the same time.

Jónsak

Lord of Altera
I found a Hardcore PvP Server run by some of our dearest admins yesterday.....
But i like the quest hub idea and we could have like giants there and if we could get a bounty plugin (barry get to work :p :D ) that would be awesome xD

Status
Not open for further replies.