Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Spawn Survey Thread 2 - Ironing out the Bugs [Finished May 1]

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Ohhh, I forgot my other thought.

I think anything at spawn could work if we reintroduced ports to replace dockmasters. With the exception of a few direct town-to-town port connections (if they're nearby on the same coast, say, or not too distant allies, or part of the same nation state or faction), it would by and large force players to commute to spawn from one ship, then walk through the docks to another ship to get somewhere else.

At present, however, I could click on a Dockmaster to get directly from Havarda to Irrcrawn at the other end of the map, and potentially not see a boat at all, just the inside of a dockmaster's office near the coast. I'm also making a ridiculously fast journey without any visible sign of progress or pacing as would be achieved from a stop at spawn in the middle.

Ships also used to be a good signal for where new players want to go. If you had an Elven character and had never heard of Tauredal or Darkwood, NOW you might be tempted to guess (with limited Emeralds) that Darkwood sounds all forest-y and appropriate from the Dockmaster list.

Before, you'd be able to make an educated guess from the styles of the boats you were thinking of taking which one is actually the most appropriate for an Elf - probably not the high-walled and frostbitten Darkwood. Likewise, soldierly characters would be drawn to warships, northerner folk to longships. It provided the simple RP of asking "where does that ship go?", and encouraged discussion and deliberation on travel, not just wild guessing.

Most importantly, it made spawn a genuine crossroad for travellers, refugees new to Altera, traders, and all manner of people, OOC and IC.

...Something about two pennies' worth. Yes, that.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop

I think anything at spawn could work if we reintroduced ports to replace dockmasters. With the exception of a few direct town-to-town port connections (if they're nearby on the same coast, say, or not too distant allies, or part of the same nation state or faction), it would by and large force players to commute to spawn from one ship, then walk through the docks to another ship to get somewhere else.

At present, however, I could click on a Dockmaster to get directly from Havarda to Irrcrawn at the other end of the map, and potentially not see a boat at all, just the inside of a dockmaster's office near the coast. I'm also making a ridiculously fast journey without any visible sign of progress or pacing as would be achieved from a stop at spawn in the middle.

Ships also used to be a good signal for where new players want to go. If you had an Elven character and had never heard of Tauredal or Darkwood, NOW you might be tempted to guess (with limited Emeralds) that Darkwood sounds all forest-y and appropriate from the Dockmaster list.

Before, you'd be able to make an educated guess from the styles of the boats you were thinking of taking which one is actually the most appropriate for an Elf - probably not the high-walled and frostbitten Darkwood. Likewise, soldierly characters would be drawn to warships, northerner folk to longships. It provided the simple RP of asking "where does that ship go?", and encouraged discussion and deliberation on travel, not just wild guessing.

Most importantly, it made spawn a genuine crossroad for travellers, refugees new to Altera, traders, and all manner of people, OOC and IC.

I do like that idea, I just have one question: what about in-land cities and towns. The ones without ship access?

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
I do like that idea, I just have one question: what about in-land cities and towns. The ones without ship access?
Merchant caravans have the best shot at selling their wares at a cross road. They also have to go home, eventually....

As for the ones off the main continent, they can get a carriage or something from the nearest region with sea access.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
If there are concerns about port lists one can use command blocks with a pressure plate to transit people to different ships in a very low-maintenance, low-load way.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff

Was pretty much my #2 "other" option, yeah. A system that provided ports. My version only had to certain cities instead of all, though. But I like the idea of all places having a port, too.

I picked Other as my 2nd option.

If we're talking about the Crossroads as it currently is, I'd suggest leaving it as is with some buildings added for factions to use for recruiting. These come with certain criteria. If you meet that criteria and are able to get one of hte Crossroads builds, it literally becomes a place where thee roads cross in that each gets a free warp to their city. Requirements for obtaining one of these would be maintained and the spot could be lost meeting the criteria falls below standard.

Allows for more purpose to the Crossroads. The Divine Law states that everyone has to go there anyway, so it's an enterprising way for people to ICly take advantage of that and have recruitment buildings for different cities, kingdoms, factions, guilds, etc.

EDIT: Essentially, macro idea is a spawn with free teleports to certain player towns.

But my number one option was for a large Port Silver 2.0 in the future. Maybe not right at this second, but down the road maybe. In my opinion, our numbers can't sustain ghost towns spread out, like we're trying to do. As nice as some of the towns are, we can't have healthy RP if RP can't be found due to niche groups of five people never leaving their tiny 5 person town.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Filled in the survey.
Only thing I have to add to it:
- Make spawn a place where people can get perms to live and build at.
In this way, I would apply for my char to live their and start his carpentry business there.
It would be great to live at a place where my char can do anything he always does, but then with a lot of people around. (<-- just hoping all those people will not amass at the tavern and leave the rest of the large spawn town with all kinds of workshops and houses unattended)

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
A subtle reminder that this thread is still here. The vote count hasn't changed in 1-2 days. The results, so far, are a little too close to tell, and so be sure to remind people to vote.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
A subtle reminder that this thread is still here. The vote count hasn't changed in 1-2 days. The results, so far, are a little too close to tell, and so be sure to remind people to vote.
So, entirely in consistency with the flip-flopping the server has historically done? XD

Friosis

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
So, entirely in consistency with the flip-flopping the server has historically done? XD
Perhaps staff should just do what is most healthy for the server, rather than base their actions on popular opinion when popular opinion is obviously so flip floppy? I mean, either way somebody is going to be pissed off or leave, might as well just do what will attract the most new players to make up for the losses.

Elt

Lord of Altera
Retired Staff
Perhaps staff should just do what is most healthy for the server, rather than base their actions on popular opinion when popular opinion is obviously so flip floppy? I mean, either way somebody is going to be pissed off or leave, might as well just do what will attract the most new players to make up for the losses.
The problem is that it's very debatable what's 'healthy for the server' - hence the use of popular opinion.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
It's also a matter of juggling what people want with the current dynamic. When we switched from one spawn idea, we had different numbers and a different vibe on the server. The numbers and the vibe have since shifted, which is why I think this discussion has come up again. We're not the same HollowWorld we were, and it'll likely continue to change in the future as the HollowWorld environment continues to evolve. What may have been a right switch years ago, may not be a right switch three years from now, etc.

So it's more than just popular opinion and more than doing what's healthy for the server. It's finding a way to navigate both to fit the server we live in now.

SpartanDory

Lord of Altera
figure i might add my two cents on the whole spawn thing (also to bump and remind people about this)
we need a city type spawn so that new players have a reason to stay on the server. player towns being the focus takes away the opportunity for new players to meet people and make friends, by having everyone off in separate towns that new players don't know how to, or don't want to go to on their first day, having a spawn where people actually enjoy rping something other than drinking is a good way for new players to meet people and make friends, personally when I first joined the server, I was overwhelmed by the amount of cities to choose from, I didn't know anyone in those cities, and it felt too forced to just go up to people on the streets and say hey. so if you ask me, we need a town at spawn that is neutral grounds, where people can hear and talk about factions and other towns. and factions can recruit people. 2 cents over.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Ok guys, I haven't had a vote in 2 days. If I don't see another one by the end of today, I'll be calling it at midnight and taking the results to staff for discussion. I'll then be moving on to Stage 1.5, which is where all of you come in, deciding on what form spawn will come in and what type of biome we're looking for for spawn.

Tarron

Lord of Altera
However the new place works, I'd love for it to be a place that would actually attract people that aren't new. Port Silver was an actual city and had attractions that would draw pretty much everyone's character at one time or another. Come to the inn, buy an apartment, shop, etc. It was a place you could go to interact with mostly every character around.

The Crossroads doesn't have that appeal to me at all. It's simply an inn and most people don't even bother going there- and stick to their own regions. This is perfectly fine, but certainly doesn't have the feel that Port Siver had for me. I really loved RP there and I'd like to rekindle that somehow. I'm not saying people should rarely play in their own/other regions, just that giving people a reason to near the spawn instead of just being a home for new players might be positive.

Apologies if this is jumping too far ahead, just didn't want to forget my thoughts.

Last edited:

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Also, side-note, I /will/ delete responses where the user doesn't use their IGN/Forum name or isn't instantly recognizable.