Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Case for Cursing

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Hi, friends. We've not had a thread for discussion in a while, so I'm bringing up a topic dear to me: the censoring of 'vulgar language' in roleplay. There's not really as much for me to gather here - No paragraphs, no images to provide evidence, nada.

Our server's playerbase is fifteen and above, generally, and many of them watch shows like Game of Thrones or play videogames like [literally any rated M game here.] Hell, in my opinion we're already at the point of allowing swearing. We're just looking silly doing it.

When I say 'fucking' in roleplay and it gets censored to 'bilgeing', everyone knows what I mean.

Mitch

Daydreamer
Good
HoboVigilante
HoboVigilante
Good
Someone's going to come along and say "you don't need to curse to convey what you want to say." That's true - you don't have to. For many people, though, it's an influential part of their character's personality and their manner of expression. Take FrostGuardian's new character, Rian, and imagine him without his justifiably vulgar nature (in regards to what Frost is trying to create with him/his background). It wouldn't be the same character whatsoever. It'd be lacking a significant part of what makes and heavily contributes to that character being that character. Sure, it isn't the most eloquent way of speaking and broaching topics; but that directly reflects what type of character that is.

Consider some of your favourite TV shows, movies, books, etc. (like Rygan said) and envision the characters that frequently make use of colourful language. Is it a part of what makes them feel so engaging and real? Probably. We all swear, some do it more than others. It's a natural thing and the swear filter feels restrictive to getting the most depth and immersion you can out of your character and their interactions.

I'm also anticipating the argument of "there's more creative ways to curse," but give me one real-life person who would rather say "thou wimpled hell-hated maggot-pie!" than something more direct in situations that warrant explicit language.

We've bumped up our age limit on whitelist applications in search of more maturity, so I don't see why we can't start treating our players like it.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Our server isn't hardcore medieval, and the language reflects that - Calling someone a pox-ridden wimple dimple feels out of place completely.

LiraKitty

Lord of Altera
While I myself am extremely anti-censorship, I would not force said viewpoint on others. In the end, I could see why the filter would be in place as it does reduce the risk of unwanted and unneeded drama. Sadly this is not a world where the lack of censorship is openly supported and so not everyone is used to or accepting of certain language and behaviors.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
While I myself am extremely anti-censorship, I would not force said viewpoint on others. In the end, I could see why the filter would be in place as it does reduce the risk of unwanted and unneeded drama. Sadly this is not a world where the lack of censorship is openly supported and so not everyone is used to or accepting of certain language and behaviors.
The filter's never really been put on at community demand - Old administration, mostly.

FrostGuardian

Lord of Altera
Legend
FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
Legend
You confounded, coniferous cankerblossom concessionist!

I'd be in favor of allowing swearing in roleplay. I think it would be reasonable to not allow it in OOC chat, or at least apply the filters there (if the plugin supports that). That's just a proposed middle ground if we need one.

Tempy_

Insert Custom Title here
Tempy_
Tempy_
swearing is bad and should never be partaken in cus mother said i mustn't ever call someone a "vajayjay".

Nah, completely agree with Rygan on this - Swearing is already being done, either through using "bilgeING BALLISTA NOT WORKING LIKE I bilgING WANT IT TO, bilge!" , while everyone knows what's up, or by just using silly swear words. Filter is, with a 'mature' community like ours, probably redundant.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Rygan requested I post here.

Look, kids see this stuff. Kids are vulgar, too. If someone started to spout insults via swear in comment/rp constantly there will be people offended. Especially if it begins to ruin the purpose of statement altogether. We have to bear in mind that some people aren't thick-skinned like others, too.

As one that has seen into the abyss of the staff section they don't follow language rules there either. I don't understand the system of regulation we have for it, but if we want to make sure swearing is bad then our examples should be leading by such.

Do what you want with those jumbled thoughts.

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
People oft compare this place to GoT, may as well keep on tearing down the barriers.
It's more of a personal choice/an IC character one to swear or not. You can go out into London on a busy Sunday afternoon and see gangs of thirteen year old's spouting swear words I didn't even know existed. Why try and shield people online from something they most likely hear on a day-to-day basis?
The use of swearing has seen an exponential growth in the past few months and no one has tried to stop it, may as well officially recognise it.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
I'm completely okay with the rules staying the same out-of-character, this topic's for in-character swearing.

(Though I swear a lot on the forums, as I'm sure some have noticed by now.)

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
frick frack snick snack what're you young whippersnappers talking about now?

While I agree that swearing isn't something that should be stopped in character, IMHO, swearing just shouldn't be used in OOC chat/Trade/Private messages/Forums

Especially Rygan's swearing because he's bold. I think all of Rygan's text should be converted to webdings.

Ily really, Rygan :heart:

-K9

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
You see, comrade, as I slowly introduce more swearing you are desensitized to it. My master plan has culminated after many months...
I came out of the womb and invented swearing five minutes later, try me you beard.

-K9

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
My contribution is, imagine Sandor Clegane saying "bilge THE KINGSGUARD, bilge THE KING."
quite frankly, one sounds more badass then the other, I can't see my character screaming " BILGE THE KING! "

I quite like saying ' Fuck the Kingsguard, and /fuck/ the King! "

Mryosi

Lord of Altera
I'm an adult, I watch GoT, I read the books and I watched Fifty Shades of Gray. I still don't think that swearing should be allowed.
There are two reasons why; The first reason is allowing swear words to be used freely would create a very unpleasant environment, both IC and OOC. Allowing people to curse would open a Pandora box. People are attached to their characters and often make their own characters based on their personality (I think it is a really bad way of creating a character but it is not uncommon in the server) and will take the insults personally. And would limit the curses to stay in RP alone- and I'm sorry, but if I wanted strangers on the internet to insult me I would go and play any FPS game.

The second reason is- nothing is already stopping you. you can still swear if you expand your vocabulary a bit.

Mitch

Daydreamer
Good
HoboVigilante
HoboVigilante
Good
The second reason is- nothing is already stopping you. you can still swear if you expand your vocabulary a bit.
I'm also anticipating the argument of "there's more creative ways to curse," but give me one real-life person who would rather say "thou wimpled hell-hated maggot-pie!" than something more direct in situations that warrant explicit language.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
You can go Dutch and swear with diseases

Arken

is Barken
ArkenGuard
ArkenGuard
Good
I'm an adult, I watch GoT, I read the books and I watched Fifty Shades of Gray. I still don't think that swearing should be allowed.
There are two reasons why; The first reason is allowing swear words to be used freely would create a very unpleasant environment, both IC and OOC. Allowing people to curse would open a Pandora box. People are attached to their characters and often make their own characters based on their personality (I think it is a really bad way of creating a character but it is not uncommon in the server) and will take the insults personally. And would limit the curses to stay in RP alone- and I'm sorry, but if I wanted strangers on the internet to insult me I would go and play any FPS game.

If you take the insults given to your character in roleplay seriously, maybe you should try and work on differentiating between fiction and non-fiction.