Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Direction of Lore

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
The instant you have more than one person you can go to, one instigates a system of 'Shopping around' - trying to get the member most amenable to what you want to accomplish.

If the two members agree on everything, why have two.
If it requires both to approve - adding a second person has made it slower.

I say unto you that Lannis should not have been necessary to involve in lore conversations, not that having Solus & Lannis was a system to be emulated.

Frankly Niah just got the job and it's December. Give it at least a few weeks to see how things shake out before proposing alterations.

The current lore person needs to, at the very least, have some time to sort through the tangle that it is right now before they consider how to work the schema most beneficially.
Noting my original posts, I say clearly that Solus could function as a tiebreaker should the two disagree. While I don't think the second head should be chosen through nepotism, I would understand if it seemed that way, because the most senior members of Hollow world which have a strong grasp on the lore both public and private are friends.

I also don't say nor do I believe that approval should require both. The entire point of having two is to permit both to have freedoms in accepting what seems reasonable should it be a small proposal, but if it's something big, say, a campaign write up, both could certainly correspond and discuss their options. Or, one could even say "this one's all yours, I don't have time" and solve the issue then and there.

Currently the system (up until now) has been to require the approval of not only the loremaster, but also the server owner and the events coordinator. If the system was altered even just to require the approval of two lore coordinators it would speed up profoundly.

Colonelgames

Lord of Altera
Colonelgames
Colonelgames
Lore is one of the biggest driving forces behind a roleplay server. It creates the setting, the creatures, the story, and paves a way for the future.

It's a lot of work to keep current lore on track on top of adding new lore. In such a field, decisions have to be made, keeping in mind where to take the story next. If a concept is good, don't let it die by neglecting it. If you plan a campaign, you better know how it will start, how it will become (and stay) interesting, and most importantly, how it will end.

The problem with recent campaigns I've noticed is that they're starting, but progression isn't happening fast enough. People lose hype, the drive to pursue the campaign falls, and it dies. There has to be ways to stay involved throughout a story from start to finish.

As for lore, there's nothing eventful happening with it to involve the masses. Take magic for example. The only people involved in it are the mages, and events with magic as a focus are non-existent. If there were events that revolved around magic, people who aren't mages could get involved in that branch of fantasy without kissing a magus's ass to eventually become a mage themself. Not only would more people get the chance to be involved, but events of such a nature would give opportunities to make the lore more interesting.

Lore exists to make a world interesting, to give detail to a setting. Events exist to introduce, pursue, and advance lore.

It is claimed that too many cooks spoil the broth, but I disagree. If the cooks had good communication, they would each know when to do their part, and when to let the other do theirs.

If you do decide to introduce more people to the lore department, please take the time to flesh out a method of communication. Pick people you can trust to lead the lore in a good direction, but give them the freedom to act independently.

I love Hollowworld, I've never found such a comfortable platform to roleplay before. But the server needs some work, and I know the community has some wonderful ideas. It's clear that we all want the server to be a better place, so take our help when we offer it.

Good luck Niah! :)

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I'll try to respond more to some of these when I'm off work. The forums always get so active when I'm unavailable. :p

Narvendel

Lord of Altera
Since it's been brought up, ideally, the server owner's only responsibilities, once department heads are fully seated and in their groove, are to ensure the server continues running and that the departments have what they need to succeed. Past that, they can be involved or uninvolved as they wish, so long as their departments are succeeding and the server is running. Department heads are responsible for "vision" or whatever, assigning tasks to those on their staff to work on individual projects while they make everything into a working whole. That's why too many cooks spoil the broth. People seem to be lumping in the department heads with the rest of their staff, making the server owner, Solus, de facto department head, instead of leaving department heads to their jobs (once they're "trained" and comfortable in the role).

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Since it's been brought up, ideally, the server owner's only responsibilities, once department heads are fully seated and in their groove, are to ensure the server continues running and that the departments have what they need to succeed. Past that, they can be involved or uninvolved as they wish, so long as their departments are succeeding and the server is running. Department heads are responsible for "vision" or whatever, assigning tasks to those on their staff to work on individual projects while they make everything into a working whole. That's why too many cooks spoil the broth. People seem to be lumping in the department heads with the rest of their staff, making the server owner, Solus, de facto department head, instead of leaving department heads to their jobs (once they're "trained" and comfortable in the role).
If the server owner is required to, or tries to, micromanage every dept - they're gonna remain stressed to the nines. They've got to have people they consider competent at the helm of everything.

But they have to do more than just 'Make sure the server is running' - the owner's job is keeping all the staff on the same board - maintaining internal communication and setting objectives for the individual departments.

There is some kind of middle ground 'Butter Zone' where it's juuust right.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Make this place a Lovecraft novel, not a manga.
The figure stood, proud, and indolent, between the arches of the gate.

Robed in faded yellow, enmeshed in layers of rags.

It turned to face the assemblage, and we saw blackness. Not.. an absence of light.. but a hole in the world, beneath that hood. An inky, one-way passage to some dark place, lost to the world.

ToastySpam

Chairman of the Procrastination Committee
Legend
ToastySpam
ToastySpam
Legend
The figure stood, proud, and indolent, between the arches of the gate.

Robed in faded yellow, enmeshed in layers of rags.

It turned to face the assemblage, and we saw blackness. Not.. an absence of light.. but a hole in the world, beneath that hood. An inky, one-way passage to some dark place, lost to the world.
then he pulled out his 2 katanas and said ""omae was mou shindeiru'

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
I have a great deal of confidence in Niah. I don’t see any reason to worry, guys :)

Now, if she doesn’t make Skyrats a thing, well...
....then we have a problem...