Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Finished The Learning Center - Tzemik's Class

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Sorry for those who couldn't make it-

Twas informative and amusing. Thanks for the lesson~

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
In the centre of the Learning Center in Thiil, several small scrolls have been placed in a bowl. Charcoaled along the rim of the bowl are the words; "Notes from Tzemik's lesson. Help yourself."

(Unimportant and common knowledge information has been omitted.)
Tzemik Kevasn's Lesson of Magical Theory
A transcript of the speaking of Tzemik Kevasn
Thiil, The Learning Center
22nd of Snowdown
Of the powers we can touch, abilities we can learn, skills in this that can be honed- There are four disciplines. Evocation, Cogitation, Mysticism, and Thaumaturgy- These compromise all that is magic.
Those who take up the art have traditionally been called ‘Magi’, or ‘Mage’ for singular. Those who are masters of their disciplines, more learned than any other Magi existing- are… Traditionally referred to as the Magus. Of which there are four, one for each discipline.
… But I’m not here to go over terminology. Who here can describe the four disciplines? Or at least one?

At which point a young woman raises her hand, and Tzemik gestures for her to speak.
“Cogitation is about influencing one’s mind, right?”

… Somewhat. Close, but… Eh.
At which point another woman raises her hand, and Tzemik gestures for her to speak.
“Mysticism is the magic effecting the physical body, both in healing and in harming.”

… Eh. Right. You’re not wrong, but-
That’s what I’m going to be teaching today. Of the four disciplines, and answering some questions- And maybe, if you lot don’t speak out of turn and don’t give me a hard time- … Maybe I’ll do a demonstration.
However, let me make something clear- … I will not be tolerating disrespect or foolish nonsense when I’m teaching. If this class decides they don’t want to be taught, then I will leave. Now. Let’s learn some magical theory.
Of the olden days, the most common form of magic was Evocation. Magical ability used to be plenty- Save, then forces of nature did their work, and is taken beyond reach. Nowadays you need hard work and risk to be able to access this art. Magic’s not gone. Never was. Simply harder to touch. As I said, I will start with Evocation.
Who here has heard stories of Mages throwing fireballs? Zapping you with all the power of a thunderstrike? Making something frosty or boiling water with a gesture of their hand? Hrmn. That is Evocation. The discipline is quick, easy. Flashy. Good for combat. Spellery of Evocation relies on energy, and works the same. Evocation will be a combination of movement of this energy- Arguably the most destructive magics. All kinds of energy. The heat of fire. The weight of stone. Force of waterfall, and- Yes, heat from the sun. Speak out of turn again and I’m kicking you out.

Spoken to the gentlemen on the stairs with the axe over one shoulder, who had interrupted.
It’s the energy in all things. Some more than others. Evocation utilizes the manipulation of aspects in these elements of energy. Depending on make up and composition of what you’re working with. It’s ranging from many, many different properties. Something I ain’t getting into is how Evocation works with the absence of energy. Rather, negative entropy. Bit different than what’s normally tutored in. Pursuing magic is as much a scholar’s work as hard learning. You’re asking me how to explain energy, which would take days and some basic lessons of Evocation… Which I ain’t doing.
Now, someone mentioned Cogitation earlier. Known publicly as the ‘Magic of the Mind’, Cogitation is much, much more... Complicated. The discipline of Cogitation refers to mind, memory, dream, thoughts. All your thinking in the waking hours, then all your thinking in the sleeping hours. Illusions, manipulation. Speaking without nothing but a thought. Cogitation deals with willpower. While Evocation primarily worked with energy, Cogitation is contained. Up here. Cogitation. Discipline of mind and memory.
Skipping to Thaumaturgy. Arguably the most complicated. Won’t get into too much detail. Thaumaturgy is the magic of… Magic. It’s the easiest to devote to if you’re already ready to put half your day into scholarly hours, then the other half into working hours. Is a magic of knowledge. Thaumaturgy works best when you pair it with another Magi, or another discipline. Able to bind the other disciplines to things non-magical.

Tzemik is asked what discipline would be best to learn first.
Psch. Learning the art ain’t like learning to fish. However, if you’re looking to enter a discipline… What specific one depends on you. Isn’t no best one to learn, first or otherwise. Some are more suited to one discipline than the other. Of all of them, Thaumaturgy is the slowest to function. Very expensive, demanding, but arguably the easiest to perform spellery with.
Last discipline- Mysticism. Magic of living things. Plants, animals… People. And magic of dead things. Mysticism is the discipline I’m most qualified to speak of. It deals in emotions to be directed. Which means you need to be very, very careful. Unlike Cogitation, Mysticism deals in the physical, the here. The touchable. And as much as it deals with life, Mysticism deals with death. The spectral, the there. The untouchable. The Sisterhood of Shalherana has been granted the magic, and wield it historically to help fight against Grief. Nowadays, Magi of the Sisterhood are largely responsible for folks sometimes awakening after they fall to eternal sleep. Any more questions on the disciplines before I speak of terminology and history more?

Tzemik is asked if it is possible to learn two disciplines at once.
Possible? Yes. Easy? … No. And considering how difficult magic is already, that’s a lot of difficulty.
Tzemik is asked where one might go to study magic.
… Nowadays, that’s a bit tricky. You’re best bet is finding the Magus of each discipline. If the Magus doesn’t exist, the discipline is lost. Usually lost forever.
Tzemik is asked who the Magus’ are.
The Magus simply means the most powerful and learned magi of each discipline, mind you. Even a beginner mage could be the Magus, if he’s the only one. And if you think I’m sharing the names of the poor folks who probably don’t want to be bothered-
Tzemik is asked if she is a Magus.
No.
Tzemik is asked if there is a limit to how powerful a mage can be.
… A limit? The limit is spellery so powerful it kills you. That’s your limit. And dying from magical accidents are nasty. Often unrecoverable. It’s good someone asked on the power of spellery. There are several traditional ranks of magic. Corresponds with how learned you is. Apprentices, someone still learning from a teacher. Someone ain’t trusted or capable or knowledgeable enough to cast on their own, but getting there. Mages. A mage is someone who has completed apprenticeship. Mages are qualified, competent, all that. And the Magus. One for each school. There are also wash-outs, someone who failed their training, direct opposite of the Magus. A Magus is the person who heads their discipline.
Spells range from very, very beginner-level spellery to master level work, something similar to the masterwork of a skilled blacksmith.

Tzemik then demonstrates a branch of Mysticism referred to as Necromancy, raising a dead body named Mister Boodles and having it walk around.
Mysticism can take your own lifeforce to work its spells.
Tzemik is asked how she can maintain the creature without appearing weaker.
Because I’m just that good. As you advance in magic, something that would have taken all day only takes hours. Then moments. Something that made you pass out only gives you dizzyness, then a nosebleed. Then nothing. It’s like a muscle. You need to train it, and learn how to use it.
After a further question, this one insignificant, the writer of this document departs.

Last edited: