Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

the name of the treatise is too long rei

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
Wax.png

May special thanks be given to the Good Doctor Josef Mandovi, for his base medical acumen and logic, which served as good counsel in writing this, as well as the autopsies performed on the griffons and crabs, that also assisted greatly in this writing.

A Treatise On the Qualities and Forms of Encountered Fantastical Monstrosities, and Appropriate Response to Them

Griffons are, if you have yet to see one yourself, the unnatural joining of a lion, cat, and eagle. They do not seem to feed on us, nor have there been any sightings, to my knowledge, of them wantonly attacking other animals in the vicinity. This implies one of two things, for animals to treat us so:

What can initially be assumed is that they are territorial in the extreme. Perhaps we have trampled on their breeding ground, in our ignorance, and they have responded thusly. Other animals possess similar nature, the caimen of Old Riseport would oft stake a claim to their own shallow pool or section of a river system, and all attempts at trying to pressure them out were for naught; they would fight to the death. However, to discredit my own theory, I have also seen them retreat from skirmishes with the forces of Old Riseport; thereby, if they are capable of enough logic to formulate a retreat, like us, then are they truly territorial?

This brings me to my second theory: sapience. Could it be that the griffons are intelligent creatures, capable of reasoned and well-informed judgements? I am told that they are smart enough to drop heavy rocks onto those below them, and how different is that from when we fashioned spears, in our early history? This is a land that has seen no trace of any sentient, dominant, apex civilization - could it be because they possess claws, for better which to hunt, instead of hands, for better which to build? Now, if this is the case, why did not try to communicate with us when they first laid their sights upon us? I do not know; perhaps they are indeed truly just territorial animals, but those of surpassing cleverness. There is no precedent from which I could conjecture of how other saptient creatures, those more familiar to us, would react on first contact with another civilization.

The crabs are a simpler matter. They seem to possess vermin-like intelligence; blundering about, without any true malice beyond what could be considered reactionary. Two attacked our camp, and both simply walked past us toward what I presume to be the scent of our recently salted fish. They brushed aside everything else, broke open the barrels of the fish, and began to eat. Paying no mind to the people amassing around them. They are dumb creatures, but of surpassing predatory ability. Their arms move with lightning speed, several times faster than the most experienced fencer in the world perofrming a lunge, and snap closed with obscene ferocity. Fortuitously none of my people have been on the receiving end, but they simply shattered an oaken barrel banded with iron.

In defence against these creatures, I will begin with the griffon. They are surprisingly fragile creatures, aside from their wings, their most birdesque quality. The bones of their wings are small, fragile, and lacking in marrow - like those of birds. It is, therefore, easy to cripple the ability to fly of a griffon by simply landing a solid blow on their wing. Getting into range for doing so is another matter, as is coercing the bird to land in the first place. From what I have gathered, they elect to either initiate a skirmish by the dropping of boulders and other heavy materials, or by suddenly swooping down with their terrifying speed, swiping people up into the air and summarily dropping them after gaining altitude. Of the former, hide. Of the latter, if you reasonably expect to find griffons in your proximity, carry on you a long spike-like weapon. If you find yourself suddenly forty feet off of the ground, without hesitation stab your weapon into the chest of the griffon, which you ought to have an excellent angle for. Being dropped from forty feed is significantly more survivable than being dropped from one hundred, and similarly being dropped from one hundred is significantly more survival than being dropped from the height of the clouds themselves. If you see griffons encircling the air around you, forego the arbalest and longbow, and take up your hunting bows. Their hides are not plate, and their feathers are not steel; it would be better to pepper them with ten arrows, than one bolt that would go straight through them. By the the thick plumage of their feathers, one could perhaps assume that the reason these birds appear to simply from from nowhere, is that they fly above the clouds, and swoop down only when truly upon us. Few are those are old enough to remember the days of ships that flew into the sky and above the clouds, but I can assure you, it is very, very cold.

Crabs are, again, a simpler matter. They do not have very advanced anything, and seem to simply be overlarge and verminous equivalents of normal crabs. It is known that they would attach to a ship’s hull, and ride alongside it for a time, before eventually ascending. How long, and for why, it is unknown. If you are fortunate enough to encounter the crab while it is still on your hull, procure a piece of your ballast (if ou are like our sailors, a bad of sand) and simply drop it overboard. It will knock the crab back into sea, easily enough. However, for those already on board, I would encourage keeping a safe distance. There are schematics that I have considered, for a weapon designed for attacking them. As those who have fought them know, even if you can get past the pincers, their shells are still in the way, and hard as a damned stone, domed as well. The weapon in question would be a polearm, built for the use of two. Ten to fifteen feet in length, sporting on one end either a weight, a spike, or both. Through the strength of two men, lift it high into the air, and simply bring it smashing down onto the shell of the crab. See if the bastard does not die then.

I encourage communion between those of us with a scholarly disposition, for only through the combined logic, reasoning, and knowledge of the Old World shall we overcome the difficulties of the New.

Nwalme Fuvur.

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
Treatise is spread through word of mouth by messengers to the Hawklight and Grafjell camps, who are instructed to explicitly deliver the letters to a 'King Axex' and a 'Lady Ashna.' Those two copies of the treatise are in black envelopes, with indigo ink on the exterior declaring the sender to be Nwalme, and who the recipients are.
Axex solus

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Wonderfully written c:

Treatise would not reach Ashna Khovr at the Grafjell camp, which would now be absolved of its link to the title, as the Grey Isle's occupants have left- but may eventually make its way to her after weeks of seeking where their ship traveled.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Best Griffon Lore I've read. Also the worst. ;)

Seriously tho good stuff and nicely done.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
A short letter sent to Nwalme from Rosmund:

An excellent treatise. Short note regarding the crabs: In my own encounters with them, I have found that their most accessible vulnerability is the eyes: A blow delivered even with light force will destroy the eye, thereby disabling vision and throwing the beast into a panicked retreat. They are large and easy targets.

MacRoye

I think I might like it here
A letter from Jack to King Axex and Lady Ashna.

Though I am not a formal scholar my self I have been apart of Gryphon attacks in Hawklight and if my information can help then I see no reason not to write this letter. After seeing the Gryphon's drop boulders from the sky several of us have been discussing how best to combat the beasts. Though we have run into several problems. Massed archers provide easy targets for boulder attacks; however, it would take an experienced marksmen to bring down the beast by him self. Again however if the marksmen is by him self this opens up an opportunity to an attack from the beasts claws.

I, my self think that massed archers with pikes nearby could bring down low flying Gryphon's and if said Gryphon were to swoop in to attack with it's claws the archers could bring the pikes to bare. I do have several questions that I hope you have answers to. Are the Gryphon's dropping the boulders from a low point or from up high? If the Gryphon's have nothing more then predator instinct what prey could they possibly learn to hunt with boulders? Is there a much larger beast we are not aware of that the Gryphon's learned to use the boulders to hunt? Has anyone seen if they lay eggs or do they birth their young? Has there been reports of Gryphon's hunting human's or other "people" for food?

-Signed Jack Yorgon of Hawklight

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
Might be of worth the giant crabs are presumably safe to eat and deliciously glorious.

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
Just letting you know this has been read and presumably been passed on to the numerous scholars of Hawklight. Really well written my dude!