Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Tips for a new dwarf character?

Sos

Lord of Altera
Hi guys and gals.
So I've come back, and apparently missed some drama while I was gone.

I won't dwell on whos, whats and whys, especially as this is not why I'm posting.

I feel that a new character is the best way for a fresh start, and as such, I want to make a Dwarf character.
Now, the premise of the character is that hes more a working man Dwarf than an actual (cliché) blacksmith. Because of this, I would base the character around the idea of him being a miner, albiet a slightly more educated.

I'm asking if there is anything I should note when writing up the profile.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
As someone who played a dwarf extensively, I'll sum up most of what I'm about to say in a few words: don't be a cliché.

What I mean by this is that everyone and their mother (are there even female dwarves?) plays a dwarf and thinks of only a few things: drinking, smithing, mining, Gimli, battle axes, thick accents, and strong sturdy builds.

Play something and someone unusual. Break the mold. The accent might be a must, just for identification. But play a female! Be a farmer or a rancher! Be a teetotaler! Be quiet and reserved! Be a scholar! But for goodness sake, don't be a smith and a drunkard.

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
As someone who played a dwarf extensively, I'll sum up most of what I'm about to say in a few words: don't be a cliché.

What I mean by this is that everyone and their mother (are there even female dwarves?) plays a dwarf and thinks of only a few things: drinking, smithing, mining, Gimli, battle axes, thick accents, and strong sturdy builds.

Play something and someone unusual. Break the mold. The accent might be a must, just for identification. But play a female! Be a farmer or a rancher! Be a teetotaler! Be quiet and reserved! Be a scholar! But for goodness sake, don't be a smith and a drunkard.
I second that :D

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
Building on tropes though can be entertaining to say the least. Tropes typically exist because they work. Take Thordin for example, my dwarf character. Upon creation, he was the definition of cliche for a dwarf character. Then I let it grow from there. It allowed for a surprising amount of character development.

Tl;dr - Cliche can be fun. Not every character has to be a brilliant and original creation. Whatever floats your boat.

Sos

Lord of Altera
*Notes in massive letters*
"Don't be a warhammer dwarf!"
*underlines several times*

I guess having an obsession with beards isn't necessary? good.

I have a few ideas now..

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
*Notes in massive letters*
"Don't be a warhammer dwarf!"
*underlines several times*

I guess having an obsession with beards isn't necessary? good.

I have a few ideas now..
NOT having an obsession with beards isn't normal... What's wrong wit' yeh, lad?

Sos

Lord of Altera
NOT having an obsession with beards isn't normal... What's wrong wit' yeh, lad?
"aye, Anyon' can have a good beard if the' wait long enough."
*runs a hand down a side of his face.*
"But no' many can say they don' need wait as lon' to look as great."

oh boy, hes coming together now.

BoredBrit

Bored Brit
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend
I'd suggest a Deepforger or a Frostpeak. They are the underplayed clans at the moment. DW&RF or Dunasten are the most active groups o'Dwarves currently. Each have their own ups and downs :D

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
A dwarf unable to grow a beard.

A manly dwarf that focus on creating jewelry, but has a strong feminin side.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
A dwarf obsessed with gardening and making the flowers grow, but will grow upset when told how undwarflike it is and fist fights often to try and act masculine.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
play a dwarf that is roughly six feet tall and not scottish and not a drunkard and not a miner and not a dwarf

play a human