Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Canon Ulrik's Tales

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
A small crowd has gathered in the Naught Inn, around a newcomer Dwarf telling wild tales. Ulrik, he said was his name. Ulrik Stoneborn.

With a now long and grey beard, he looks very old - very wise.

Once you join the crowd, he takes another swift draw, giving a puff from his pipe.

Aye.. it was merely my fourth day in the southern lands and I'd already been able to get in touch with my Dwarf brethren. Finding them was no easy task of course! I learned quickly why they had chosen to be so secretive. As I entered the main hall for my first time, I witnessed the most beautiful stonework to have called itself Dwarven craftsmanship in my life! On either side of the bridge in front of me I saw the deepest pits- whose bottom was lit up by a giant pool of lava. The heat was almost unbearable as I walked across the bridge, sparks of lava flew up into the air and I rushed across in case the event of my beard catching on fire came about.

My first venture into the grand halls wasn't too exclusive. I could hear the sounds of fresh blood entering the halls not too far behind me. I waited until they caught up in the hopes of making a new friend. Instead of stopping to respond to my greetings, I found they rushed by me and disappeared around a corner. I can't say I ever saw them again. Abashed, I took the first fleeting steps into the next room and witnessed a sight like none other. To an elf's eye, one might see it as just an amalgam of various tunnels. As a dwarf, however, I had seen the finest complex of Dwarven mines and structures embedded into stone since I was a wee babby.

After taking in the sights, I smoothly progressed into the next room. The temperature around me cooled until I could swear I was surrounded in ice. After the blistering heat near the entrance, I didn't think to complain. Ahead of me were three paths, each one darker than the pits of a demon's eyes. To progress further, I stuck a piece of coal on a stick of wood I had been carrying around.

After careful consideration, I traveled down the left path. Along this way I found numerous curiosities. The first room I came across was filled with wooden counters and cabinets. This was the kitchen, which was surprisingly lacking staff. As a matter of fact, the entire keep was eerily empty. I had not seen any signs of life since the very first contact at the entrance. Regardless, I felt the urge to press on.

*Puffs on his pipe* Behind the kitchen I found a series of staircases. It was here that I began hearing noises. In pursuit of the noise, I ran upstairs and found myself surrounded by plants. At first, I thought I had somehow made my way back outside. This incorrect thinking was quickly dispelled as I hit the second stone wall of what appeared to be an underground garden. Its appearance was deceptively realistic; how grass was growing underground was baffling to me. Then, for a long second, I thought I could make out the distinctive sound of a hammer hitting anvil.

In a renewed effort to discover the source of this noise, I found myself back in the main hall. To my right were four forges. Each had been recently used, but there was nobody around that I could have seen. Disappointed, I returned to the 4-way corridor. This time, I walked through the right hallway and found myself surrounded by what appeared to be a barracks. Becoming increasingly tired, I took residence in the room closest to the hall.

It was the quietest night of my life.

As I awoke in the morning I found my wishes had been answered. Working at the forges I encountered a ghastly figure. It was a Dwarf, by the name of Baldrick. This particular dwarf had a very powerful aura to him. His experience in the mines was given away by the dirt smudges and thick, corded muscles that were developed over many years. Born on his chin was a small but shapely beard, which was brown in color. To a younger dwarf, Baldrick's beard girth could have indicated him as the oldest thing on the planet; to me however, I could tell this one was several hundred years younger than me. I was even more astonished when he claimed to be the Dwarven Paragon!

A symbol of Dwarf tradition, I gave a full body bow, to the point my forehead touched the ground, and offered my sincerest apologies. In return, we shared stories and had a good laugh. I determined him to be a quiet and secretive fellow. After our greetings had been exchanged, he established me as a Regimin in his fighting forces. I was then assigned a room in the barracks- in fact, the room I had stayed in just the night before! A bloody shame I left it so messy..

My return trip to the main hall was satisfying. I found the Paragon dickering around with the forges again- albeit with another dwarf. This one bore a striking semblance to the Paragon. His beard was a wee bit longer and was completely grayed out. Obviously older than the Paragon. He wore eccentric clothing on the side- a simple chest strap with a pick on the back. Proper for a Dwarf. His hat made it difficult to take him seriously. Aside from the vibrant blue and red colors, the hat was adorned with a feather and flag. I began to wonder if he really was a miner, or maybe just a messenger who had simply become very lost. Anyhow, his name was Orik. He left as soon as he came and I never heard from him again.

The Paragon's next words came slowly and made an impression upon me; however, Dwarf tradition has me keep them secret. I left the day after and traveled until I came across a vast forest. Here I encountered every foul creature my race had seen under the sun. It wasn't long before I was fighting for the very threads of my life. As I progressed deeper into the forest I found heavier resistance and sought an escape route. As I observed my surroundings I determined the only way was to climb upwards. Following plan, I climbed for what seemed like hours, until I reached the tree tops. From there, I carefully leapt across the branches until I landed on a wooden building with a glass roof. I spent a day here in hopes of finding life that didn't want to eat my brains. As if Providence, I noticed a slim, point-eared, nimble being resting on a throne below me.

At first, all of my hooping and hollering seemed to have no effect. In a trance-like state, this graceful creature rose from its throne and disappeared underneath a staircase. After moments of silence, I descended down the sides of the building and found myself greeted by a familiar slender figure. Instead of lunging out for my brains, he handed me bacon and beckoned me into his dwelling. It was here I began practicing my bow skills and learned of the Elf Lord Phoenix.

Phoenix and I weren't particularly great friends to start, but it was quickly understood that in the case either of our races were to go to war, the other would be following closely behind it. To symbolize our coming together, many gifts were exchanged and the Elves were given access to our finely crafted Dwarven arrows.

After awhile, I decided it was high time I set off to complete the Paragon's mission. After a day's trip, I came across a peculiar building with a sign that stated, "Temple of Harateth." I constantly felt as if I were being watched from then on out by a presence in the clouds. It wasn't intruding though, it was almost parental in essence. Having not felt these emotions for centuries, I traveled around the backside of this temple and founded the beginnings of a Dwarven settlement. Duraz Dok. Stonewatch in the common tongue. I made sure it's massive walls would protect the larger Dwarven settlement of Karak Azgal underground.

Much has since passed...

*Empties his pipe on the floor*

But I feel that is a story for another day.