Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

VanGarrett the Lordling

VanGarrett

Lord of Altera
Name: Van Garrett
Height: 6ft 3"
Weight: 80 kg
Hair: a light brown
Eyes: Dark Green
Skin: lightly tanned
Appearance: Normally simply dressed, not of an ostentatious nature.

Born into a family of the nobility, the VanGarrett's, Van Garrett is the son of the former Lord of Whitewood Castle, which holds dominion over The White Wood. Van's parents however, were slain in a wildling war in his early teenage years, but not before his namesakes were able to teach him the rules of life and the responsibilities of the Keeper of the Castle. From this unarguably early age, Van had a castle to run, and no ordinary castle at that.

Whitewood is an ancient and hallowed place where the purest forest in all of Altera does grow. So named for the trunks of its trees, but also for the pure air which can be sampled in the vivacious, but silent vales of the forest. Situated where the wilds and great civilisation meet however, means that Whitewood has been a place of great conflict in the past. The elves saw fit to ring the sprightly glades of the wood with an enchanted hedge. Yet these being outrageously friendly elves they decided they would create gateways, so visitors could come and see the forest with the pollen-rich air, golden sunshine and verdant grass. This, as all can probably imagine, was a foolish idea, and the elves soon retreated from the terrors of the wildling raids. Some say for the deep south, some say for the far north, but wherever they went, elves have not been seen in the area since.

Being far more pragmatic, the family of the VanGarrett's who had arrived, shortly after the elves' departure decided that the best way to protect the forest was to erect a stronghold, a mighty keep to ensure the wildling raiders from the East were kept at bay. It took many generations, but by the time Van Garrett was Lord of the Castle, the walls were complete and the keep impregnable. Over the years there had been a great many visitors, all of whom had stopped to say hello and marvel at the size of kitchen that lucky Van had. The kitchen had 24 furnaces and a fireplace big enough to spit-roast three creepers. Needless to say the capacity for cooking pork chops was quite considerable. As a result of this Van made it his business to make sure that all of his delightful guests had food enough when they stayed. Or if they had just come by for a nosey round.

One day Van went up to the old abandoned fortress of Ravens Nest for a stroll, only to find the Dwarf Mrbubbles! Bubbles had decided to renovate the old, decrepit tower that had large chunks of wall missing here and there, so to make a new home where he could feel safe. Fortunately for the Dwarf, Van wasn't up to very much at the time so he decided to help and moved in for a time while he helped Bubbles repair the ruins into something which might pass as a sanitary place to live.

No sooner had the renovations been completed to an outrageously high standard, that Van had to rush back to Whitewood Castle to repel a Wildling horde who had come from the East for plunder. Fortunately at that time mcgilvraymm decided to appear and he came to act as reinforcements to help repel such a savage attack as had not been seen for years. The horde was a motely of both Human and Tyran elements, as well as a bit of Troll and several Mountain Gnomes.

Unfortunately mcgilraymm was killed and subsequentely the walls were lost, the wildlings scrambling over the battlements at the south-east redoubt. Van Garrett led the retreat to the Great Keep, which was itself impregnable and so fought the remainder of the battle from there. From the lofty height if the great battlements of the Keep which dwarfed even the tallest of the towers of the walls, Van Garrett rained down an unstoppable hail of savage arrows which routed the Wildling force and sent them running from the hills from whence they came.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
remember me, who asked for seeds? and got three whole stacks? (useful stacks, I note)

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I have also been attempting to create an organization protecting races like the tyrans. so far, I haven't seen any others. this information is fascinating. I may have to be middleman here.
try not to kill tyrans on sight, ok?

VanGarrett

Lord of Altera
Well I didn't get a good look at their faces, but one of the commanders looked an awful lot like Hunter Ocato, and there aren't many tyrans out there so there's few other people it could have been.

VanGarrett

Lord of Altera
Well I'll have you know that it was they who were the instigators of this assault and I did kill many of them. I will not be responsible for the deaths of such wildling invaders!

Gaby

Lord of Altera
this looks fishy.
I don't think megan's been in contact with ocato ever since "the incident," and I saw ocato every day before then. we were wrapped up with holding off a demon, and when I saw ocato after the incident, he wasn't prepping an attack. I've also never seen a mountain gnome, ever. or a troll.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
oh. that battle was after the incident.
ocato had a brother, but he died at the hands of tyrans. that's why I was worried for meg's safety when we stayed in the castle. revenge tends to be blind, and he is highly motivated by revenge.

Joel

Lord of Altera
we went on a tour around castle carbanic and outside was a giant zombie,and i mean giant. i flew up to it and punched it. Lars then told me to back of to a safe distance and lightninged it 3 times to kill it. Lets see you hold one of them off single handidly ;)

Gaby

Lord of Altera
it's because ocato wouldn't have launched at night minecraft time, because he gets attacked by a demon then. that's what the fort is for.

VanGarrett

Lord of Altera
Story of a Squire - A Journey West

(I'm going off of the character Fitz has set me in his history of Altera, It might not fit, but I can change it if needs be. Based on an Actual journey West by the way.)

Day 1

I was awoken by the King's Cup-bearer, with news that I had to go see him, but first to pack all of my things, I was to be ready for the off. As the squire of King Steel I have become quite versed in the ability to take what I need, and only what I need with me at short notice, and to have everything packed and ready to go within three minutes of awakening. I quickly donned my light leather armour, slung my White-wood bow over my back, along with two quivers of arrows and my Diamond Claymore which was always within a foot of me at all times, especially in such trying times as these.

Briskly I then stepped out of the tent and into the cool night air, within four minutes I was before King Steel, ready for whatever was necessary. I had absolutely no idea what the reasons for such summons might be, but given that it was the dead of night and the camp was actually silent, or as silent as a camp of its size could be, I knew it had to be important.

"I trust you know a fair deal of the ways of ranging through the wilds VanGarrette" King Steel said, in a voice like thunder, but at the same time, with tones clipped and curt, to the point. Indeed, Whitewood was old even before the first block of Ravensnest was laid, and your family have been dealing with raiders, bandits, outlaws, savages and all sorts of monsters for centuries, millennia if the tales are to be believed." I stayed silent, knowing that there was more to come. A lesson to learn is never to interrupt a King when he has quite so clearly carefully thought out that which he is going to say, knowing it is important that the result be as desired. He continued, "Which is why I am sending you on a ranging, a ranging to the west, where our forces are few and much of the terrain is unknown. I want you to scout out the movements and concentrations of the enemy, for we have had little indication of what they have been up to of late. It has been much far too quiet, and all our scouts have turned out blanks. I want you to penetrate to the very edges of Altera, the fringes of the known world. I am asking you, as I want it done quickly and effectively, with little indication of our intentions. They won't think much of one man should they capture you, or, most likely kill you. We don't know much of the West at the moment and it is up to you to uncover what the enemy is doing. If I do not see you back within a week however, I will presume you as dead, attain a new squire, and march West to take the fight to the enemy. If you do not die, then you sure as the nether better get back in time to me to report your findings. As you know, you have the opportunity to refuse my commands, but know that if you do, then you will die a lot quicker here than out there. I have a block ready, but I know that with you, I won't need it. What say you?"

Knowing that I had to either head off on the King's orders, or literally have my head off was not the only factor which influenced my decision to accept the task set before me. I had almost known from instinct, of seeing and hearing the King send others off in the dead of night on top secret and furtive missions, I knew that he makes use of everybody to the best of their abilities, and to the best of his. Thus it was not something which came as a surprise to be sent off, without any notice, nor for it to be life and death. What I was entrusted with was basically a need to know where the enemy was, without being led to falsehood. If I were to return, I could state that there was no enemy, if I returned and said there was, it would be the block, as it would be a Queen Grief trick to lure Steel's armies away. Essentially I would come back if there wasn't a threat, I wouldn't if there was. Surviving was up to me. If I came back and said there was a large enemy host amassing to the West, it would only be because I had been captured and duplicated, and a host was really amassing to the South, East, or possibly the North. It was an intricate, and sometimes baffling system the King had surmised, but one that was needed to deal with the tricks and scams of the treacherous enemy.

Needless to say I set out thereafter without delay. I first stopped off at the supply tent for provisions of bread and apples, any pork I wanted would have to be found along the way, as there was none that I could take without it being noticed. Being on a secret mission, does have its disadvantages, among other things. On the way out of camp I recall bumping into Legion, who drowsily challenged me to a fight before stumbling back into the camp. By the time the sun had risen I was well on my way, with nought but the armies of Naught to contend with before me.