Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

what CULTURES are people's CULTURES based on

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
looking at you rome guy

it's something that interests me, because nwalme's childhood i imagine was something like living in one of the few medieval metropolises, like paris or london. but sanardu/fuvur's culture i've taken influences from everything from persia, to rome, to byzantium, to constantinople in things ranging from its architecture, to how its foreign policy works, to how vassals are managed, and it interests me

what cultures do other people pull from for their character/faction/region's cultures?

The Cinnaroll

The Cinnamon Roll
Very Sweet
Legend
Retired Staff
Pronouns
She/Her, They/Them
Asirel_Luik
Asirel_Luik
Sweetheart
I wanted to try to make a Byzantine style city myself but I kinda suck at directing a project. But because of my fascination with Greece due to my personal heritage, that's where I would pull from if I could actually do it. Lol.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
The Soolera culture, which I wrote as a way to get less more diverse skin colors into medieval Europe and give a more colorful background option than "raised in fiefdom", borrows heavily from Bedouin and Roma influences to make a nomadic group where individuals can choose to be related to other players or have a backstory that anchors them in Altera to a greater degree than "Appeared one day from nowhere land" like many are.

There's no buildings for it yet since no people have gone to that point (and they're nomads really), but a Soolera town would either look as a collection of brightly colored large residential caravans strung together with fabrics and various tradeable goods, or as a densely clustered city of high-piled apartments and temples in a desert, made of sandstone and baked clay.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
European places north of London Axex

Seriously speaking, as written, the culture of the Talon Isles is that of the early Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms of the British Isles mixed with Scottish Gaelic, Welsh and Irish Gaelic cultural names.

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Asrakos is Byzantine, Roman, Medieval Italian and Classical Greek

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Eberland is a mix between Poland and German.

ToastySpam

Chairman of the Procrastination Committee
Legend
ToastySpam
ToastySpam
Legend
I tend to mix and match different cultures on a whim when I'm theming characters and items belonging to those characters. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
Sangria is mostly the viking aspects of icelandic/scandinavia, and some bits from europe.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
Natri upholds to more British Victorian with the more classic moor elven (don't ask me where the base for that was). It does have some Italian influences, but I blame Elz for that part.

Legendary Fiction

It took a lot to get here
I'm an ignorant american, so i dont really think much about cultures because i dont actually know much about others, and i'd feel i'm only stereotyping or mis-representing when i do try.

Maybe I do try to take from other cultures. Picking out a name and look is probably as far as i actually go. Otherwise I follow lore for culture.

The only exception would be Kith.. whom I always pull from generic native american style.