Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Where do Armour Protect you

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I've seen a few times now people assuming that armour can protect them wherever they want. Specifically, backs of knees, armpits and areas which are classically considered weak points of armour.

Now, there is historical precedent for these areas being protected by armour. Henry VIII's famous foot combat armour built for the Field of Cloth of Gold tournament in 1520, which features tens of small lanes riveted together to create smooth bend in the knees, as shown below.

However, there are two very important considerations in this equation: the date and the purpose.

The server, fairly importantly, has a cut-off tech date of mid-15th century. This armour was made, as I said, for the Field of Cloth of Gold tournament in 1520 - at the least around 70 years after the tech lock.

If you think that that's insubstantial, bear in mind that 70 years ago the absolute zenith of armour technology were tanks like the IS-3 or M26 Pershing, and that was at the end of a war which boosted technological advancement of weapons systems drastically. Generally, plate armours can usually be split into early century, mid century and late century. Henry VIII's armour is a good two generations ahead of the tech lock, and is therefore entirely absurd.

Furthermore, Henry VIII's armour was designed and built by a master craftsman - Martin van Royne - for a single foot tournament, and would never provide enough flexibility to be used effectively in combat. It was a masterpiece of the era, and is truly fascinating, but it is not a combat armour.

I would also like to add that the infatuation with absolute protection is ludicrous. Plate armour of 15th century is more than protective enough. Combat realities do not require full body protection, and in fact breathing and moving may be more important than protection. If protection was all there was to armour, then frankly the Medieval people would just lock themselves in massive steel balls and roll down hills at their enemies, in true Rock of Ages fashion.

This armour is another example you might come across of fully protected arms. It is from very late 15th or early 16th century, though it's very possible that the arms are either fake or were added later. Remember that armour gets repurposed a lot.

So, below I am showing you what plate armours of mid-15th century would look like.

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
I've personally never had someone tell me "No, my armpits/back of the knees are protected!" but I've heard of some people who did, so this is good :D

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
This seems like a plot to hide the fact that the more skin the armor shows, the more it protects.
You won't trick me this time! I take all my information from MMORPGs!