Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Winning in RP, and how it's fun to lose.

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
Even if a character desires to win that doesn't mean they always should
This.
They can fight to win and be victorious, it doesn't mean they always will be. Not asking you to force loss on your character, just to be open to the idea of it.

Last edited:

CaliburofSouls

Lord of Altera
This.
They can fight to win and be victorious, it doesn't mean they always will be. Not asking you to force loss on your character, just to be open to the idea of it.
This is sort of what I was trying to say. I like losing, but I don't force my character to lose, I try to win, but I love it when I lose. Unfortunately losing things mostly seems to end in death instead of, say, horrible disfigurement.

MaelstromPuddle

Lord of Altera
Legend
Auralein
Auralein
Legend
if I am honest, I hugely prefer winning, because I know that I have put time and effort into my character, I know he is faster and more nimble than a lot of people. I should not be penalized for the work I have put into my character because someone wants to win because Fulgrim hurt their feelings, a problem is that people are afraid of dying so I like to specify that I am not going to kill a character before the fight begins... this is subject to how the fight plays out of course.

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
if I am honest, I hugely prefer winning, because I know that I have put time and effort into my character, I know he is faster and more nimble than a lot of people. I should not be penalized for the work I have put into my character because someone wants to win because Fulgrim hurt their feelings, a problem is that people are afraid of dying so I like to specify that I am not going to kill a character before the fight begins... this is subject to how the fight plays out of course.
I highly respect that you specify your intentions of not killing a character.
I always go into fights with that mindset anyways, perhaps I should start stating it!

Friosis

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
This doesn't have to turn into a "Who can be the most humble" contest.
It's not a contest of who can be more humble, your not addressing the point.
I made a similar post for Courier, but i'l state this again. Why is losing penalization? What's wrong with losing a confrontation once in a while? We never specified what characters you should lose to either... Why does suggesting that a character loses a RP fight always elicit the response that your being "penalized"?

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
I'm really tired of people complaining about it being a "good or bad story." That perhaps is the worst excuse. Also the incident with @The Courier he was attacked, I did not find his emotes powergaming. You should look up any sword fighting video on YouTube or w/e and see that you CAN block a weapon and attack at the same time. In fact it's what you're suppose to do!

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Rationally speaking, my character is an attempt at creating a person.

No sane person is going to try and lose unless they have an ulterior motive in doing so. A rational character is going to do their best to set up a situation such that they emerge victorious.

However, if I put my all into something and am out-plotted, I am 100% fine with accepting a loss. The only stuff I won't go for is a statement like "*Dodges, and stabs in the neck*". Yes, I've had that attempted. Yes, I outright walked away from that.

Friosis

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm really tired of people complaining about it being a "good or bad story." That perhaps is the worst excuse. Also the incident with @The Courier he was attacked, I did not find his emotes powergaming. You should look up any sword fighting video on YouTube or w/e and see that you CAN block a weapon and attack at the same time. In fact it's what you're suppose to do!
Never use "it's a X story" as an excuse, I do not advocate that nor do I condone it, if somebody says "you should do X because X would be a better story" you shouldn't RP with them. I'm saying that perhaps we should think about losing as an OPTION once in a while, if you think the RP from losing would be better than winning all the time. As for the Courier incident, i'm not complaining about his character being powergamey at all, infact i've combat RP'd with him before, and he does a good job of trying to make his fights fair.

And THAT, my friends, is why I don't like this place anymore!
No offense, or snarkiness here, I honestly want to ask, is this post a joke or, do you believe that those who attempt to make a collaborative story in Role-Play ruin the experience for you, and that everything has to be as realistic to medieval times as possible?

Last edited:

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
y'know, guys
its really as easy as
"*y character manages to deflect x characters blade.* *y character brings his blade back, closer to himself, moving to slash at x characters side.* *x character brings his blade up to parry y characters blade, but is still offset when y character deflected his blade. Being a bit late, x character still manages to hit y characters blade, albeit a second two early. Suffering a non lethal cut against his chest*" now you've got a nice scar to show off, you have your character's life, you can go through the rp process of healing ( which is VERY fun, let me say ) and all that fun stuff.
Not
"OMG GOTTA GO INTO THIS FIGHT WITH A CRIPPLED LEFT ARM, SUN IN MY CHARACTER'S EYES, A SORE FOOT AND COLD SO I'LL LOSE"

Last edited:

The Courier

Lord of Altera
y'know, guys
its really as easy as
"*y character manages to deflect x characters blade.* *y character brings his blade back, closer to himself, moving to slash at x characters side.* *x character brings his blade up to parry y characters blade, but is still offset when y character deflected his blade. Being a bit late, x character still manages to hit y characters blade, albeit a second two early. Suffering a non lethal cut against his chest*" now you've got a nice scar to show off, you have your character's life, you can go through the rp process of healing ( which is VERY fun, let me say ) and all that fun stuff.
Not
"OMG GOTTA GO INTO THIS FIGHT WITH A CRIPPLED LEFT ARM, SUN IN MY CHARACTER'S EYES, A SORE FOOT AND COLD SO I'LL LOSE"
The problem with this is that my character doesn't make mistakes like Character X whenever he enters a fight. Since, y'know, he's focused for it. In fact, he constantly walks around preparing for a fight and what to do if a fight does come. Kinda what happens when you know you're extremely hated.

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
The problem with this is that my character doesn't make mistakes like Character X whenever he enters a fight. Since, y'know, he's focused for it. In fact, he constantly walks around preparing for a fight and what to do if a fight does come. Kinda what happens when you know you're extremely hated.
Does that mean he never, ever makes mistakes..? Or can never not make mistakes?
Just trying to clarify.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
your.... character.... is human....

this sort of nonsense is exactly why people roll die to determine whether or not they succeed. jeez.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
Does that mean he never, ever makes mistakes..? Or can never not make mistakes?
Just trying to clarify.
It means that I do exactly what he would do at the moment, hell yeah Sif's beatable. Ya just gotta actually be able to out maneuver him in combat or try another method. However, from years of experience fighting/war, he's not exactly slow.

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
It means that I do exactly what he would do at the moment, hell yeah Sif's beatable. Ya just gotta actually be able to out maneuver him in combat or try another method. However, from years of experience fighting/war, he's not exactly slow.
Would you be open to having your character make a mistake like that? That's the whole gist of things.
No matter how much you train, how much experience you have, no matter how much you fight. It won't make you or your character perfect.
Arguably, Dayter has more experience than Sif, but say, not as much as Legion or Naelwyn or the other longer standing characters who have experienced even more. This does not mean he's perfect. Last RP fight I was in, I had him slip up, because it made sense. It wasn't something either party could really control, it just worked for the RP. I didn't resent that mistake, nor regret it. It added and benefited to the roleplay.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
Would you be open to having your character make a mistake like that? That's the whole gist of things.
No matter how much you train, how much experience you have, no matter how much you fight. It won't make you or your character perfect.
Arguably, Dayter has more experience than Sif, but say, not as much as Legion or Naelwyn or the other longer standing characters who have experienced even more. This does not mean he's perfect. Last RP fight I was in, I had him slip up, because it made sense. It wasn't something either party could really control, it just worked for the RP.
Obviously he slips up, however I don't point it out for people. Even the fight with Arga, Sif made a dangerous mistake. He ducked low, wearing a helmet, against a blunt weapon holding person. All Arga would'a had to do was step back his leading leg, lower the shaft of his hammer to hit the claymore instead of his wrists. This would have kept Sif extremely open. Hell, could'a easily killed him with a thrust of the warhammer at the helm.

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
Obviously he slips up, however I don't point it out for people. Even the fight with Arga, Sif made a dangerous mistake. He ducked low, wearing a helmet, against a blunt weapon holding person. All Arga would'a had to do was step back his leading leg, lower the shaft of his hammer to hit the claymore instead of his wrists. This would have kept Sif extremely open. Hell, could'a easily killed him with a thrust of the warhammer at the helm.
Alright!
Thanks for clearing it up. :)

Lannis

You've yeed your last haw
Staff member
Admin
Events Staff
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Server Owner
Shadow Owner
Lannis' radical concept of the day:
Perhaps "skill in combat RP" is not measured in how overwhelmingly you can stomp on another character, but how well you can communicate and keep the situation feel fair for all involved. Almost like we're all supposed to be friendly folk playing a game, innit?