Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Would this be sufficent for gaming?

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
Graphics card: XTX (or something like that) Raedon R6670 (2gb ddr3)
Power Supply: here

Basically, my question is this. My computer originally had 300 watts in it, which is more then enough to run the system and 512mb video ram. My new graphics card requires 400 watts (100 more then i have) and i was told that the 400 watts is ONLY for the gfx card. So i fi buy a 700 watt power supply and install it, will it be sufficiant? (because 700 - 300 = 400)

Also, when i tried running that XTX Raedon R6670 without realizing i did not have enough wattage, my mother said that a fuse blew downstairs, not in the room i was working in. Is it possible i could have busted the gfx card? (Even if i did, i have warrenty on it and can return it when i go to pick up the power supply)

Thanks for your guy's help, i tried asking Yahoo Answers, didn't get any good helpful answers.

fencible

tiny.cc/HW_Texture_Pack 
You won't need a 700W power supply, and you don't need to spend $100 on one ;)
I've been using the second one of these for over half a year with no problems, and a more powerful card;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/650-WATT-supply-Alpine-Silent/dp/7135799410/ref=dp_cp_ob_computers_title_0
http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-600w-ps05-alpine-gold-fan-psu-sli---4-x-sata-7JTP.html

Here's a good idea of the performance of most cards on the market;
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
Search for 6670
As an outline; 500 is enough for minecraft (processor affects fps more than the gpu does), 1000 is enough for skyrim and portal 2 on medium settings, ~2000 is enough for almost anything on high settings, and anything above is overkill.
(these are only the stock GPUs, your XFX version will be somewhere around 50-150 marks higher)

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
You won't need a 700W power supply, and you don't need to spend $100 on one ;)
I've been using the second one of these for over half a year with no problems, and a more powerful card;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/650-WATT-supply-Alpine-Silent/dp/7135799410/ref=dp_cp_ob_computers_title_0
http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-600w-ps05-alpine-gold-fan-psu-sli---4-x-sata-7JTP.html

Here's a good idea of the performance of most cards on the market;
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php
Search for 6670
As an outline; 500 is enough for minecraft (processor affects fps more than the gpu does), 1000 is enough for skyrim and portal 2 on medium settings, ~2000 is enough for almost anything on high settings, and anything above is overkill.
(these are only the stock GPUs, your XFX version will be somewhere around 50-150 marks higher)
Well, while this money is mine, my mother wants to buy from Bestbuy (because we have a membership card there and theres this thing where we can pay monthly until we pay off the item)
I already bought the graphics card so there is no going back on that.
and when you say 2000 is enough for almost anything on high settings, do you mean Watts or Video Ram?

Kaies

Grand Lizard
500-550w should be good enough for your system. the numbers is just the ranking score of the card.

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
500-550w should be good enough for your system. the numbers is just the ranking score of the card.
oh ok. So would 2gb of video ram be enough to run Battlefield 3 and Skyrim on high? (considering the reccomended is 1gb and the minimum is 512mb)

Kaies

Grand Lizard
2GB is more than enough, usually video ram allows the computer to run on higher resolutions more easily. What type of monitor do you use?

fencible

tiny.cc/HW_Texture_Pack 
The RAM on the video card isn't an indicator of it's performance, it's the graphics processor that does most of the work (my old 1GB 9800 GTX isn't half as good as my current 768MB GTX 460).
It does affect performance, so you've got a better than average card for that specific model, just don't expect to run Skyrim at a decent framerate on anything much above medium (the 9800 is in the same performance range, and that got average 40fps on medium) and I doubt you'll get on BF3 on anything above low (9800 got 25-30 max).

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
The RAM on the video card isn't an indicator of it's performance, it's the graphics processor that does most of the work (my old 1GB 9800 GTX isn't half as good as my current 768MB GTX 460).
It does affect performance, so you've got a better than average card for that specific model, just don't expect to run Skyrim at a decent framerate on anything much above medium (the 9800 is in the same performance range, and that got average 40fps on medium) and I doubt you'll get on BF3 on anything above low (9800 got 25-30 max).
Are you sure of that? The battlefield 3 graphics on low look like battlefield bad company 2 on high, and i can run that perfectly with my current card.

fencible

tiny.cc/HW_Texture_Pack 
Yeah sadly, though I was playing the beta, and 'low' may have been lowered since then (it still had every smoke effect and shader going, just the texture resolution was reduced as far as I could tell), so I wouldn't rule it out.

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
Yeah sadly, though I was playing the beta, and 'low' may have been lowered since then (it still had every smoke effect and shader going, just the texture resolution was reduced as far as I could tell), so I wouldn't rule it out.
The reason i am so confused here is because on here people are telling me it won't do well at all. However, on the customer reviews on amazon people are saying that they can run games like StarWars the force unleashed on max settings and with no lag whatsoever.

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
and also this card has the same specifications of the one i bought, and the game runs so smoothly in the video.

fencible

tiny.cc/HW_Texture_Pack 
That's a laptop :p bear in mind that's a pretty basic level, on levels with smoke\ember\other demanding effects, that'll drop considerably. AA's a big fps killer too.
And as I said before; I haven't played it since the beta, no doubt they'll have refined it, and maybe threw in a few more settings (the only options then were 'low' 'medium' 'high' and 'ultra')
Anyway, you can't change the card, so you'll just have to try it and see ;)

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
That's a laptop :p bear in mind that's a pretty basic level, on levels with smoke\ember\other demanding effects, that'll drop considerably. AA's a big fps killer too.
And as I said before; I haven't played it since the beta, no doubt they'll have refined it, and maybe threw in a few more settings (the only options then were 'low' 'medium' 'high' and 'ultra')
Yup. If all else fails i will sell it to someone and buy a better one.

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
So heres another question. Why is it that an xbox 360 can play skyrim with as good graphics as PC, and the xbox 360 is only 200 dollars. But to play Skyrim on PC with no lag, one must spend over 1000 dollars?

fencible

tiny.cc/HW_Texture_Pack 
The console only does games, and the PC does a lot more (the 360 is 7 years old too).

You don't have to spend that much on a PC, just look around for the best deals.
I bought a barebones kit (motherboard, CPU and case) along with all the other parts for just under £300 and I'm getting ~50fps on max settings and a ton of HD textures on Skyrim.

Choppie

Villager
(Sorry for the bump, but just incase you're still wondering about the 6670, as it does not seem you have come to a conclusion about it)
I am on a 1GB XFX Radeon HD 6670. BF3 runs fine if most things are in medium settings, but some things will have to go on low. Contrary to your earlier comment, the Xbox does not run BF3 at nearly the same detail as a PC. I am not getting into that argument, though. All-in-all, the 6670 is a fair budget card to buy, and will see you playing most, if not all games that are out at the moment.