Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Your favorite Roguelike?

Do you like Roguelikes?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
Don't ask me what a Roguelike is, I won't be able to tell you.

If it can be considered one, my favorite one is Dwarf Fortress, my favorite one that I play is Dungeon Crawl Soup

Rusty

Loyal Servant of Altera
Faster Than Light

Damn, I can't get enough of it... the dynamic soundtrack is glorious:')

blargtheawesome

Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
An update to my previous list... I can both play and watch DF... And I enjoy both immensely. I haven't bothered buying FTL, but it looks fun as Nether.

Rusty

Loyal Servant of Altera
Chyeah, it's worth getting. It's pretty cheap too, I've been hooked on it for the past 2 months or so:p

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
I don't like how the term roguelike has become rather broad as a category of game. I personally don't consider any game roguelike unless its ascii based.

I mean how in gods name is FTL considered roguelike?

Rusty

Loyal Servant of Altera
Code:
The roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing video games, characterized by level randomization, permanent death, and turn-based movement. Most roguelikes feature ASCII graphics, with newer ones increasingly offering tile-based graphics. Games are typically dungeon crawls, with many monsters, items, and environmental features. Computer roguelikes usually employ the majority of the keyboard to facilitate interaction with items and the environment. The name of the genre comes from the 1980 game Rogue.
The routes for FTL get randomised every time, if you die then you have to start again and it does have a small hint of turn-based gameplay.

I suppose that's how it was named xD But yes, I don't think it should really be called a Rougelike because it doesn't have THAT much of a turn-based system:p

Puskins123

Lord of Altera
I Totally Agree with Rusty With FTL Its the best Roguelike Ive Played.... The Second best i think is DD=Deskopt Dungeons

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I don't like how the term roguelike has become rather broad as a category of game. I personally don't consider any game roguelike unless its ascii based.

I mean how in gods name is FTL considered roguelike?

Code:
The roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing video games, characterized by level randomization, permanent death, and turn-based movement. Most roguelikes feature ASCII graphics, with newer ones increasingly offering tile-based graphics. Games are typically dungeon crawls, with many monsters, items, and environmental features. Computer roguelikes usually employ the majority of the keyboard to facilitate interaction with items and the environment. The name of the genre comes from the 1980 game Rogue.
The routes for FTL get randomised every time, if you die then you have to start again and it does have a small hint of turn-based gameplay.

I suppose that's how it was named xD But yes, I don't think it should really be called a Rougelike because it doesn't have THAT much of a turn-based system:p

Being like Rogue == Roguelike

I looked at a video of FTL, and I agree, just does not give me remotely the same feeling.

Rusty

Loyal Servant of Altera
I think it is free.

And, guys, come on, Dungeons and Dragons, come on, guys.

I love that shizz so much that I just finished downloading the MMO and I'ma play it tomorrow with my flatmate.
I even helped a guy called Justin Knight host a D&D 3.5 PnP match on Byond :3

blargtheawesome

Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
Yes, DF is free. But it costs hundreds in the time you must spend learning everything. I've played for months, and I still haven't learned anything... Or bothered to, really.

Snickerdoodle_Dandy

Lord of Altera
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned "Delver" at all. I love the game, but I have never beaten the skeleton king. ( insta-death bolts of energy stuff. )