Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[AoT] The Bands of Four

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
[Arc of Thieves]
The Bands of Four

1651403915998.png

Thievery has spiked to an unprecedented level in Altera.
Folks are losing items left and right. Some occurrences are violent, while others are silent and invisible.
The point is; Henry's wallet has passed through more hands in a week than a Radiant usually does in a month.
Whatever is causing this surge in criminal activity and whoever they are is unknown, but there are rumors...

These are The Bands of Four!

Introducing...

1651403801583.png

The Valtomor Thieves
More scholar than thief, this band is after the hoard's artifacts for 'safe keeping' (yerright?) and sacrificing them to greater powers.
Their motto is "To stay alive long enough to learn something and if we get rich along the way, who is to blame us?"
These four are said to be in it for the scholarly pursuit. Yet, stealing remains stealing, whatever their motives.

Their mode of operation: Swift and soft as shadows
Their members: Unknown
Their claimed successes: As if they were the night itself; clean sweep Flotsam
Their largest failures: None Yet

1651487137625.png

The Grey Squad
To the Grey Squad, this is one big family excursion. An excursion preferably lined with gold and the blood of their victims...
Their motto is "If it shines, it's mine." Straightforward and short, just like a bolt from a Greyling's crossbow.
This family isn't messing around and will sooner cut a throat than risk a sibling getting hurt.

Their mode of operation: Unknown
Their claimed successes: None Yet

1651499506327.png
The Patron Syndicate
Hunting not for themselves, but for those above them; these thieves will stop at nothing to gain the favor of their patron.
Their motto: "Oh, I would do everything for my Patron, but I won't do that." With 'that' referring to heresy.
Don't think of these minions as yellow and small, for it might be the last thing you'll ever do.

1651503851328.png

The Fortune Runners
They say you can run but you can't hide, yet these runners have shown they're quite capable of doing both.
Their motto is "Steal from the rich, give to the poor, but none the wiser if we keep some for ourselves." Can't fault them for that!
Fortune favors the bold and thus Cymic has come forward clear and simple as the leader of this band of troublemakers.

Their mode of operation: Plain Sight, using the anonymity of the crowd.
Their members: Cymic, unknown, unknown, and unknown.
Their claimed successes: Clean-sweeping Flotsam

1651504760126.png

The Fundraisers
Don't mistake this band for necromancers, the only thing they'll be raising will be FUNDS.
Their motto "Go big or go home" speaks for itself, especially since they've got no home to go to.
These commoners have tasted the adrenaline of the craft and have no intention to be returning to an honest living!

Their members: Unknown.

1651519395076.png

The Night Stalkers
When you think 'thief' you think about these four. They're in it for their personal gain, both for power and for wealth.
Their motto is "If you're gonna steal a treasure, you might as well act the part" and these folks know what a thief should act like!
But don't underestimate this bunch: The thing about being stereotypical is that folks never expect what tricks you've yet up your sleeve.

Their mode of operation: Noisy Robbers
Their members: Silf, Ralia, and Godmund are rumored to be three of the four...
Their claimed successes: Huge haul due to selling something and stealing it back.
Their largest failures: Blundering through Flotsam

1651831029516.png

The Greed Creed
Their greed is far surpassing their need, but this creed will keep them on their feet, so to speak.
Their motto is: "We heed our creed of greed, giving us speed to beat the competition and feed." Spoken like a true slums-bard, innit?
If their hunger for wealth slaps as hard as their songs, then Altera is in for a rough time!

Their members: Unknown.

1651832069707.png

The Relic Racketeers
In search of Arcane Power to keep their fairytale life alive, these racketeers are after relics so they can live a comfortable life.
Their motto "Keep a relic for a rainy day" shows they're in it for a carefree future of lazily lying about.
Although relics are the main prize, some coin does help to gain some luxuries on the side!

Their mode of operation: Showmen Pickpockets
Their members: One of the three is Raenyr, the others remain unknown.
Their claimed successes: Emptying the pockets of Flotsam's visitors and proprietor.
Their largest failures: Making a show of revealing to be the thief.

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
This post will be updated with the names of all the bands to keep track of their progress, as well as to award successes and 'punish' failures (if people get seen, their names are displayed here, etc.)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The Relic Racketeers have come to lay about upon their pillows!

With that, we've finally got all teams together! Signups are now closed

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The Fortune Runners just had their first run and got away with their first success story. Folks now fear them for their incredible skill at getting away with stealing things in plain sight!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The Night Stalkers might want to change their name... Yet, they did make off with the diamond!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Everything went extremely smoothly, but the Relic Racketeers wouldn't be called that if they didn't make a racket!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The night was dark and soft, much like the shadows of the stealthy Valtomore Thieves who... were never there, or were they?

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The Greed Creed has stepped out of the game, because they don't agree to the rule that their charname is being public if their character gets seen when wearing a mask/magic disguise.

One step closer to the hoard for the rest of the teams I guess.

EDIT: I'm gonna need some time to think about the spells and things people can do and somehow incorporate that in the bigger picture. If folks involved and uninvolved still want to join after my fiasco tonight, I will gladly welcome them back. I'll first have to change the arc, as I've planned it in a way that doesn't fit.

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
I see word is getting around of something that happened and I'm not a big one for drama. I'll try and explain the situation as best I can. I offered to jump into a VC with the folks involved, but they do not want to (as is their right).

I'm organizing this Arc of Thieves for 24 people, 8 groups of 4. With 8 groups, that means I am hosting at least 8 events to start the arc off with. This means 8 nights reserved to DM folks, which I love to do, so that is not a big deal in and of itself. The problem here is that we've arranged a time and date for this event, only for the team involved to try to discuss things on the time we were supposed to all enjoy an event together. This is an evening I made free for hosting. Such questions and discussions were far better suited to be asked in the convo, where I also mentioned to ask questions related to the arc. In the overview I mentioned that the idea was to give all players equal chances; new and old, which is why I could not change this rule about the magic disguise. (EDIT: now I realize that that doesn't make it an equal chance, it makes it so the older players are getting the worst of it)

Understand that I log on for this event, make time to prepare it, and make time to execute it with the group. I try to be as accommodating as I can. I was here to DM the group, not discuss rules that were already very clear from the beginning. So, as I saw the discussion coming, I gave the option to go on or quit. Twice. First to the first who brought it up, and then the next who started the exact same discussion we already had, which I already mentioned I wasn't going to have again. I then gave them another chance to /please/ move on and do the event, at which point they say: "Nah, if that's how it's gonna be then we'd rather not. It might sound mean but we're not up to doing something that doesn't make sense." I'm sorry, but for me, that's clear language; this event wasn't going to happen unless I'd changed the rules. Then it is in my best interest to just log off and spend my night otherwise. (EDIT: By now I realize it's up to me to make sure the arc doesn't require folks to do things that don't make sense IC, so I'm gonna look into a way to prevent this from happening in the future)

I'm getting comments that my behavior is not fitting of an event team member. I like to finish this text off with an open mind. Like I said; I tried to reach out to VC but that was not an option. These letters in messages are cold and I prefer talking things over so I can make it clear where I was coming from. I admit; my approach was rough and quite directive, but I would really appreciate if folks also saw it from my side of hosting 8 of these events + archaeology + precursors + nid arach. I like doing this, but it can get very demanding. And I already don't like saying no to people. I want folks to have a good time, me included. I'm usually one for accommodating whatever folks want, but in this case it would just not be fair to the people who already did their events and already did get recognized. I think that put me on edge a bit more too (EDIT: plus, I probably had a vague idea in the back of my head that knew they were right and something wasn't quite right about the arc).

I was rude by being so to the point and direct. I'll admit that. I just don't think it's worth a big drama hype, so I hope this wall of text can somewhat prevent or contain that. I came out of a day of 8 hours dragging stones and paving a garden, which caused me to be tired which certainly didn't help either. I think of the people involved as friends, but I'm getting the cold shoulder. That hurts. Perhaps I've hurt them too and for that I'm sincerely sorry.

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
As a final note; I'm going on a holiday on the 9th of June and was hoping to squeeze in the last AoT groups before that holiday so everyone had their first events. Maybe I am wanting too much and that gives me enough stress to behave rude. I think it's best if I leave this arc to rest for now and pick it up when I'm back around the 28th of June.

I've also been enlightened about how I didn't put anything in the thread about spells and that spells are part of Altera and spells are not up for the interpretation of the DM. I think this is correct and I have to have another look at the arc and how I plan to do this, involving all players; also those with spells.

Last edited: