Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Art in Altera

BoredBrit

Bored Brit
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend
Something that often makes me wonder about Hollow World is the lack of IC music and art. That said I have seen bards pop up recently so the first part is slightly moot, yet I only know of one Artist character and their art isn't that well known IC or even OOC. I for one, think it'd be good for art to become more appreciated and traded as luxury.
Paint is that one character I know of.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Something that often makes me wonder about Hollow World is the lack of IC music and art. That said I have seen bards pop up recently so the first part is slightly moot, yet I only know of one Artist character and their art isn't that well known IC or even OOC. I for one, think it'd be good for art to become more appreciated and traded as luxury.
Paint is that one character I know of.
It's very difficult to convey what a character performs IC in terms of Music or Art without oneself being a musician or artist, which is my understanding why it is difficult.

BoredBrit

Bored Brit
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend
It's very difficult to convey what a character performs IC in terms of Music or Art without oneself being a musician or artist, which is my understanding why it is difficult.
I do understand it is difficult, and I also appreciate it. I just thought it was a little sad that there isn't much art ICly that we have access to.

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
It'd be nice, but I'd say there's also not much demand for characters of that nature either. Most paintings just appear and they're placed with a small description and that's that. (I do it too) Perhaps it's because there's little artists, or perhaps when doing interior you just go along with it and don't think anymore on it? Not sure. xD
Alison does painting as her hobby, and Nylarii does/did anatomy and architecture stuff. But I've no character who earns a living from it.

BoredBrit

Bored Brit
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend
It'd be nice, but I'd say there's also not much demand for characters of that nature either. Most paintings just appear and they're placed with a small description and that's that. (I do it too) Perhaps it's because there's little artists, or perhaps when doing interior you just go along with it and don't think anymore on it? Not sure. xD
Alison does painting as her hobby, and Nylarii does/did anatomy and architecture stuff. But I've no character who earns a living from it.
I'll be honest and say this is purely for the sake of me being able to steal valuable paintings and replace them with crap versions ICly . . . .

Smurf

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Hiraetha
Hiraetha
Mystic
From the little art and music I have seen IC, none of it has been learned- it's all been from backstory (ex: Sandra the Smithy learned the flute when she was ten.)

I wish more people appreciated how much time it takes to learn instruments and to learn certain types of art. (I've been throwing on the wheel for well over a year now, almost two years, and I still suck. You can't learn it in a day reeiiiiiiiiiiii)

yup.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
For my character I just shamelessly refer to time period art (Usually a bit higher then the server's setting tbf) and say "It looks like this".

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
My character Anna Falkiir, would often practice in public - Currently have her shelved, but did a lot of music RP with her :D

Would basically slowly build up her skill, by starting with simple songs.
As she was a Norvärgen, I said this was the first real song she learned to play

Now, a way I did this, was basically study the simple notes and for example say
*Would put her mouth on the flute, as she would start out by practicing a gentle A-note*
or something like that, and then link the song she played, when she was playing a full song.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Yes but, isn't that /way/ easier than composing one's own music or creating one's own art?

I feel like that grossly cheapens how hard it is to do this stuff, and people just linking music someone else made and saying "Yes my character composed that" basically garnered zero credit from me RPwise because it is zero effort to find music or art compared to creating it.

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
Yes but, isn't that /way/ easier than composing one's own music or creating one's own art?

I feel like that grossly cheapens how hard it is to do this stuff, and people just linking music someone else made and saying "Yes my character composed that" basically garnered zero credit from me RPwise because it is zero effort to find music or art compared to creating it.
It is RP, you RP things you are not.

Create your own IRL magic.

I am here for fun, not to compose music for the masses.

Edit: In other words, I feel like the fun goes away, when things becomes a responsibility and you need to do an excess amount of work.
RP is fun because it allows you to be in situations and play things you perhaps normally would not experience in your real life.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
There's a certain kind of RP that is basically magical-make-believe-tea-party, and it's one that isn't for me.

Create your own IRL magic.
You can take your bitterness and walk off with it though, man. Setting up a balanced system for people to use with magic takes way more effort than linking someone to a youtube, and you know it.

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron

Thing is, it's rather difficult when people are lacking the drive/time/programs/materials/skill/education when all they want to do is have a character who plays a musical instrument or does art. I have both my characters do artsy things that are outside my realm (Kopii plays the harp fairly good since he's worked on it for ic two years for him and a at least over 9 months ooc, and Roderick does abstract art) and that's because they aren't me. They don't have my skills to make spikey haired dudes drawings, nore do I want them to have those skills because it'd be boring to have them have skills that I myself possess.

I'm not going to sit there and learn how to play a harp to make my own harp music for something that is meant to be fun and adds flavor to a character (which by the by, he learned from another character so I never planned for him to learn that originally, he got it in game), nor am I going to sit there and try and ponder how nutters Roderick would have to be and how his art style would turn out (which I've tried to emulate, but I know myself that it's incorrectly represented. His work would be far more eerie than what I can pull off)

It gets rather boring to have characters that have your skills because that's what you know how to do, rather than going outside the box and researching and referencing artworks that they can associate with their characters.

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
There's a certain kind of RP that is basically magical-make-believe-tea-party, and it's one that isn't for me.

You can take your bitterness and walk off with it though, man. Setting up a balanced system for people to use with magic takes way more effort than linking someone to a youtube, and you know it.
It is almost like you missed what I said in my first post, I am not just taking a youtube video.
"Now, a way I did this, was basically study the simple notes and for example say"
I would find the notes for the music. Which would mean I actually do some behind the scenes work, adding with some of my own musical knowledge, but I am not going into composing my own.

I simply do not have time for that. I am not saying detail is bad, but the amount of free time people have, to reach that amount of detail variates greatly. I am not saying we should ban detail, but I am just saying we should not make it a demand. It should be optional for those who can.
Also, to be honest, you seem like the most bitter here, because I was not refering to any kind of magic system you made, I was reffering to the fact that just because you can't do it in real life, does not mean you should not be able to do it in RP.

If I wanted a magic character, I would at least not hope that I would need to do magic in real life, and compose my own spells and potions to do so.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Thing is, it's rather difficult when people are lacking the drive/time/programs/materials/skill/education when all they want to do is have a character who plays a musical instrument or does art. I have both my characters do artsy things that are outside my realm (Kopii plays the harp fairly good since he's worked on it for ic two years for him and a at least over 9 months ooc, and Roderick does abstract art) and that's because they aren't me. They don't have my skills to make spikey haired dudes drawings, nore do I want them to have those skills because it'd be boring to have them have skills that I myself possess.

I'm not going to sit there and learn how to play a harp to make my own harp music for something that is meant to be fun and adds flavor to a character (which by the by, he learned from another character so I never planned for him to learn that originally, he got it in game), nor am I going to sit there and try and ponder how nutters Roderick would have to be and how his art style would turn out (which I've tried to emulate, but I know myself that it's incorrectly represented. His work would be far more eerie than what I can pull off)

It gets rather boring to have characters that have your skills because that's what you know how to do, rather than going outside the box and researching and referencing artworks that they can associate with their characters.
If people are doing it to add some background flavour to a character, all the power to them.

I've been talking in the context of characters becoming famous, IC, for their efforts, as per the first post. I feel like if you want your character to be specifically famous for, or otherwise known for their art or music, then it demands some effort being put into it, otherwise one is claiming their desire to be famous for very minimal effort. That is why I said I don't give much credit for it, as I mean credit towards that end.

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
I would just like to say... I never claimed any credit, or said my character made my music, not sure where you got that from Nael, but all I said was that my character "learned to play the song" - Never have I ever said my character created one herself.
And I give all the credits to the original artist I can.

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty

Let me just break out my kit of paints and whatnot, because I can totally do that.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Let me just break out my kit of paints and whatnot, because I can totally do that.
Okay, it seems I really need to explain my opinion here some more.

I'm not expecting people to compose classical stuff, but to try and create something with their RP, and I guess to do that I need to give an example of what I think is meritous vs linking an image.

"The painting is on a 3x3 meter canvas, in oils. It's in a natural setting, the sun low in the sky, casting veiled shadows through a wooded copse. Three knights, in mail, gleaming in the fading sunlight, travel on horseback through a trail in the wooded grounds. In deep, stark colour contrast, in the woods, shaded, in deep chiaroscuro, lie in wait three rough looking men, their countenances set in grim anticipation, as they string their bows."

I'm saying I prefer people do their best to create something new, in their own words, than to use references.

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron
If people are doing it to add some background flavour to a character, all the power to them.

I've been talking in the context of characters becoming famous, IC, for their efforts, as per the first post. I feel like if you want your character to be specifically famous for, or otherwise known for their art or music, then it demands some effort being put into it, otherwise one is claiming their desire to be famous for very minimal effort. That is why I said I don't give much credit for it, as I mean credit towards that end.
I mean, that's not how fame would work anyways. If anything it would require the player to have their character go out and play/sell their works to the right people, and for those people to value the work. Which in turn is a lot of work to do because that becomes a situation of connections and actually making sure the work in question is appealing to those characters and such. At that point if the person actually becomes word of mouth famous because they've done their connections properly, bam. Did it. That's a lot of work to do, and had nothing to do with the creative process but how the creative process becomes a work that people want to throw money at and hang in their homes.

After all, many artists are long dead before they become famous, because people marketed their work properly. Then now a days with the ability to market yourself better people are more or less actually able to reap from their work.

So honestly, no, creating the work is not the only part of the process for an rping setting. The character actually has to try and work wouldn't they to sell those work? Sounds to me like that in it self would make for some good rp of an artist character trying to sell their work to fancy nobility. And with people who don't want to sit there and make the artwork when the harder step is to actually sell that to people. Again, for an rp setting the ooc work whether they made a work themselves or using a representation of the work matters about as much as if you took a picture off google for a representation of your character vs drawing the character yourself.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I mean, that's not how fame would work anyways. If anything it would require the player to have their character go out and play/sell their works to the right people, and for those people to value the work. Which in turn is a lot of work to do because that becomes a situation of connections and actually making sure the work in question is appealing to those characters and such. At that point if the person actually becomes word of mouth famous because they've done their connections properly, bam. Did it. That's a lot of work to do, and had nothing to do with the creative process but how the creative process becomes a work that people want to throw money at and hang in their homes.

After all, many artists are long dead before they become famous, because people marketed their work properly. Then now a days with the ability to market yourself better people are more or less actually able to reap from their work.

So honestly, no, creating the work is not the only part of the process for an rping setting. The character actually has to try and work wouldn't they to sell those work? Sounds to me like that in it self would make for some good rp of an artist character trying to sell their work to fancy nobility. And with people who don't want to sit there and make the artwork when the harder step is to actually sell that to people. Again, for an rp setting the ooc work whether they made a work themselves or using a representation of the work matters about as much as if you took a picture off google for a representation of your character vs drawing the character yourself.
I kinda figured the other things were implied - what I'm saying is if someone took a picture off of Google, I could not anticipate myself valuing it enough to buy it.