Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Art in Altera

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron
I kinda figured the other things were implied - what I'm saying is if someone took a picture off of Google, I could not anticipate myself valuing it enough to buy it.
Then isn't that rather OOC inflicting with rp? You're judging it from an OOC point, it's how the person wants the art to sort of look, but they can't replicate it with their OOC skills but IC their character could have the skills to create something like that. So shouldn't it be judged from an IC perspective of how another character would see that artwork?

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Then isn't that rather OOC inflicting with rp? You're judging it from an OOC point, it's how the person wants the art to sort of look, but they can't replicate it with their OOC skills but IC their character could have the skills to create something like that. So shouldn't it be judged from an IC perspective of how another character would see that artwork?
If they cannot RP out describing what their work looks like, then why should I value their effort? See my quick 1-2 minutes-of-effort example - if people aren't willing to put in the same amount of minimal effort into their work, why should I value it?

"The painting is on a 3x3 meter canvas, in oils. It's in a natural setting, the sun low in the sky, casting veiled shadows through a wooded copse. Three knights, in mail, gleaming in the fading sunlight, travel on horseback through a trail in the wooded grounds. In deep, stark colour contrast, in the woods, shaded, in deep chiaroscuro, lie in wait three rough looking men, their countenances set in grim anticipation, as they string their bows."
Quoted for ease of reading. If someone can't meet even that minor standard then they probably shouldn't be trying to sell me art.

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron
If they cannot RP out describing what their work looks like, then why should I value their effort? See my quick 1-2 minutes-of-effort example - if people aren't willing to put in the same amount of minimal effort into their work, why should I value it?

Quoted for ease of reading. If someone can't meet even that minor standard then they probably shouldn't be trying to sell me art.
I mean, who wouldn't already be doing that? The picture helps bring in a visual aid to a description. It'd be like a tailor character using pictures of dresses/outfits they're selling, or artisans who make jewelry also take from jewelry store images to have a representation of the work. Artists in both a musical or a painting/sculpture/whatever would fall into the very same sort of category. Who's actually gone around and not described the sort of music/art they're presenting by only linked a picture/video? That's kinda assuming a lot of pessimism towards peoples rping capability if they aren't doing that in game.

Beyond that, on the topic again, I don't think there's any artist characters who actually are famous with their work. Certainly none that are up and posted ig about being done by x character. Which is a shame, but peoples weapons and armors can be considered art right? Though people who have that sort of stuff tend to be... stabby....

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
In my opinion, the issue is that painting or drawing IC is, for want of a better word, boring. Aside from describing the process it simply involves a character sitting still for a long period of time. Players tend to favour a more active and engaging profession for their characters, hence the lack of more "mundane" characters in the world. There's the noble characters, the warrior characters and then the stand-out peasantry with a particular talent or shady dealing, perhaps.
In a traditional medieval setting, few would have the time or patience to spend hours perfecting a piece when there's more pressing matters. I imagine that the nobility and a few other select characters of a more wealthy background would have access to the presumably expensive and imported paints of the time with the required leisure time to potentially pursue the hobby, who knows?
Finally we can consider racial habits and cultural differences. Art can be expressed in a variety of different ways. Elves may value more traditional artistic practices such as painting whereas Dwarves would probably value the artistic worth of a well-forged sword or other such metallurgical creations as an example.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I mean, who wouldn't already be doing that? The picture helps bring in a visual aid to a description. It'd be like a tailor character using pictures of dresses/outfits they're selling, or artisans who make jewelry also take from jewelry store images to have a representation of the work. Artists in both a musical or a painting/sculpture/whatever would fall into the very same sort of category. Who's actually gone around and not described the sort of music/art they're presenting by only linked a picture/video? That's kinda assuming a lot of pessimism towards peoples rping capability if they aren't doing that in game.

Beyond that, on the topic again, I don't think there's any artist characters who actually are famous with their work. Certainly none that are up and posted ig about being done by x character. Which is a shame, but peoples weapons and armors can be considered art right? Though people who have that sort of stuff tend to be... stabby....
Oh, have you not experienced that? I've been here for.. 4-ish years - people have /absolutely/ just posted a "My character is playing X music, check the link." as their emote for me before. Just providing context for where my opinion is grounded in - I have absolutely, positively had exactly that happen.

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron
Oh, have you not experienced that? I've been here for.. 4-ish years - people have /absolutely/ just posted a "My character is playing X music, check the link." as their emote for me before. Just providing context for where my opinion is grounded in - I have absolutely, positively had exactly that happen.
Perhaps things have changed recently, because I have experienced the opposite in my shorter time here. They're a rarity as are artist characters on the server, but it seems like when I do pass one they aren't posting like that and rather put a lot of effort into how their character is emoting. I suppose a more up to date version of the opinion of what was going on in musical characters description posts.

Smurf

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Hiraetha
Hiraetha
Mystic
tmw my 'i want to steal your art' thread turns into this :c

people just like to argue tbh

i could make a 'talk about our doggos' thread and people would find a way to hate on one another still

Smurf

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Hiraetha
Hiraetha
Mystic
Perhaps things have changed recently, because I have experienced the opposite in my shorter time here. They're a rarity as are artist characters on the server, but it seems like when I do pass one they aren't posting like that and rather put a lot of effort into how their character is emoting. I suppose a more up to date version of the opinion of what was going on in musical characters description posts.
I've also never seen anyone do anything but *He plays [insert link] with a flute.* as an emote in my 3 years of being here. That's just for musicians, but... Eh.

Omikuji

Lord of Altera
Patron
Omikuji
Omikuji
Patron
I've also never seen anyone do anything but *He plays [insert link] with a flute.* as an emote in my 3 years of being here. That's just for musicians, but... Eh.
That's weird, and a rather sad. I'm rather glad I've only witnessed the opposite in my shorter time then. No wonder there's not that many around, oh well.