Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Arvyth's Journal

AbsentUser

Legend of Altera
Hero
Retired Staff
AbsentUser
AbsentUser
Hero
Prologue

I'm a storyteller, I stretch the truth when need be. But you didn't hear that, alright? It all started changing after I worked on the merchant ship. Of course, the logical spin on that was that it was a smuggler ship, and instead of simply walking away I washed up after a shipwreck. I didn't stay in civilization though, just purchasing enough supplies to keep myself going for a while. I lived in the forest a few weeks, which of course gave a wealth of stories to come up with again. I had enough experience to keep myself alive, but soon enough I knew I couldn't keep living like that. I wound up in Storm's Landing, and that's when things started to get odd.

Greetings

It was in the next few days that I met countless interesting people- though I'll try to remember and list them as best I can.
There was Sylvia, the most memorable to be sure. She'd first told me of her work in Candlewood managing an exploration group, (I wish I'd taken her offer to join some days, but I doubt I could tie myself down to living in one place like that. Perhaps in another time.)

Then there was... Oh. Freia. Little needs to be said about her uniqueness beyond 'beware', though she is as interesting as she is... well, I don't have fitting words.

Then of course, that Makani, Keone. Interesting fellow.

The most curious of them then- besides the chicken man, was the halfspawn. Razog was his name, I found him off the side of the road hanging from a tree. He'd offered his aid in return for mine, so I decided to accept. Thankfully, no harm came of it and he lived up to his word.

Frost... This part should come later, but I'll list it here. She's a mage, and I'm planning to learn from her. I met her in the tavern at the Landing, I probably saw her and heard rumors before talking to her though. It took me a little while to decide, but I went to her a few weeks later and asked to learn. Amazingly, she agreed- with a few requirements.

MUDDLED MADNESS

There were quite a few odd happenings in the next few weeks. I think the first was the fire. Some old building in the noble district caught fire, and I kind of ended up in the thick of it. They managed to put it out- (Sylvia was there, she did wonderfully) but there was something off about the whole situation. Some odd voice shouted from inside, and in my opinion the way the place crumbled it was strategically lit. The town guard batter off the place and did nothing to investigate it as far as I know, it eventually was repaired and turned into something else. To my knowledge, no culprit has been found.

I don't know if I missed anything in the meantime, but if I did it was likely of little consequence. I talked to quite a few people, picked up a thick book on magic, and started wondering about making a decision on it during that time.

After that though, I watched where some monstrous undead creature attacked not hardly a block away from that former fire location. It was something out of a nightmare, ten arms, a giant tail, and a rotting cow's head. I saved Freia from an untimely loss of more than just an ear with a careful knife throw, (at least, it looked that way) but beyond that I stayed back.

The most important event after that was me going to Frost, but I'll leave that as is until I continue. Now I'll be seeking as much valuable ore and material as possible when I'm in the wild lands to repay her.

SHATTERED

It was late in the evening... I was at the Landing's tavern again, and Razog came in. He found some meat left outside from before (it had a strange history, one I hope will be of no consequence) and wanted to cook with it. I convinced him not to, and he asked if we could go fishing instead... he wanted to fish with a hammer, of all things. I told him we could go look for a length of line to use, so we were rummaging through some crates under the dock. I didn't even hear the man (If it even was a man under all that armor) until his halberd went through my leg. We fought him... but I couldn't do anything. Raz stayed there so I could get away... I looked for guards, but no one was there. I came back the next day after Valtae patched my leg... nothing but blood and his hammer left... the ink is smeared, as if it was watered while being written.

STARTING AGAIN

I guess I haven't written here in a long time. For a while I drowned out the pain in the tavern, getting just enough work to keep a roof over my head and a mug full. But I moved on after that, and rented a nice little place, as much as I hate living in the Landing. So I've been working steadily and living a rather mundane life for a while, now that I can bring myself to go back to the docks. But today... today was a surprise. I went to the tavern again- not to get dead drunk this time, mind you- and heard someone screaming from up the road. This old man had crawled back to the hospital from just out of town, saying he'd been attacked by bandits and lost everyone else traveling with him. Judging from his injuries, he wasn't lying. So we followed the path and found their ambush, (about half a dozen people or so, including the one guard that bothered to come) and pretty much charged in. I took some cover and didn't end up with any arrows in me, unlike some of the others. So I headed into the fray while some of them were busy, and dealt with my part of the mess. This one girl- Maple was her name- she was the star there though. She was a mage, and snuck up behind a few of the bandits to incinerate them. I lost track after that, but when we were all cleaning up she was wrestling one of these armored bandits barehanded. Crazy? Maybe. But she handled herself there too.

The more I see, the more I know I need to learn...

WAR & PEACE

The last few weeks have been a challenge. I've worked on my smithing skills for some time after building my own forge, and now I'm helping supply Frost with a variety of weapons. I've been too busy to show up to the front lines of the demon invasion, but looking at some of the people who make it back I'm somewhat glad to be in front of a fire rather than engulfed in it. Though it has made me rather warm, working the hot coals night and day. The only real reprieve from the chaos was in meeting this young elven woman, Nilsa. She's come to the landing recently and seems to have taken an interest in conversing with me. Every few nights when I'm not too busy I'll have a few drinks with her at the Kraken's Den. Oh, and I've made enough recently to stop working around the docks so much. I've even moved myself up to renting a better home, finally. I still have much room to grow though.

CHANGING SEASONS

The ink is smeared, as if it's been wiped and rewritten multiple times.
Nilsa... It's hard to believe I can trust her anymore. I don't want to write about it, so I'll leave it at that. My consolation though is in my work, Frost introduced me to someone willing to pay for a good supply of weapons and that's kept me busy. I've seen Sylvia a couple times over the last few days, she seems distressed about her and Matt. Not only that, something must have happened to her recently as well. Her hair turned black, her eyes changed, and she seems most uncomfortable now. I hope she just needs time. I doubt there's anything else I can do.

THUNDER

I don't know how it happened. Well I do, but I still can't put it to words. Sylvia... She fell in love with me. I don't have the words, still. I'll leave it at that.

The next morning though, I was dropping off something for Frost rather early. It was still dark, and there was a large gathering around her smithy. She... offered to spark me then and there. So we went outside town, accompanied by the rest of her friends there, and SHE FROZE ME TO DEATH. Well, nearly. I lost something in the process, that fire elemental she explained was holding onto me. I did something though, It was nearly the last thing I could feel, besides the pain of the ice biting into my flesh. It's like lighting erupted from within me, burning me out of that frozen tomb. I'll get back to writing this later, my hand is shaking too much and I'm feeling as though freezing and burning all at the same time.

8/23/22

I'm not sure I'm well enough to be walking around on my own, but I did anyway. I visited Frost again, and she started to teach me to draw flame from a fire. I don't think it's working.

8/24/22

I showed Frost and a couple of her other students what I learned to do. I can kind of play with sparks in my hands, I'm not sure how it works but I should follow up on this.

8/25/22

The page is smeared with blood, obscuring any writing that may have been on it.

8/28/22

I couldn't bring myself to write what happened. It was a few days ago, in the Kraken's Den. I watched Sylvia get murdered in cold blood, with hardly a thing I could do to prevent it. I've been a wreck since then, hardly knowing what to do with myself. Laicelem blessed her corpse or something- apparently the Grey Lady took notice of him. I can't say I put much faith in that, but there's a cold sort of comfort knowing she's safe in death. Valtae says to keep hoping, perhaps the gods will take notice and bring her back or something, but I'm out of hope. I went to stay with her body again last night- I don't know whsomethinl wanted to see her one more time. Probably the last time. I don't have anything left to do but find a way to take revenge on... him. Branko, I think it is. I'll find a way to make him suffer.

Frost came by today, to try pulling me out of the mess I've found myself in. I think she helped. I haven't told anyone else the full story about what happened to Razog until now. But talking with her helped me find some finality and peace. I went to go visit Sylvia again, for the last time.

I know you can't hear me, you'll never have the chance to see this, but I want you to know that I won't let myself fail like that anymore. I only wish it were sooner, then you might still be there. I'll treasure the little time we had together, and never forget it. I don't know what else to tell you. Not that I'm even telling you, but writing as if I am seems to make it easier for me to say. So I'll end with this: I'm not sorry I loved you. But I'm sorry I failed you.

8/29/22

She's back! I never believed it could happen, but I can hardly contain my joy. Took her to the candy shop first thing, to get out of the rain.
Will write more later. I'm trying to clean up the mess of the house again.

8/31/22

It's been wonderful having Sylvia back. Aside from a lesson with Frost, I've spent most of my time with her. She does however say it's important for me to speak with Athryl soon, so I guess I'll have to get to Candlewood and meet him.

9/7/22

Practiced with Frost some more today, she taught me how to draw heat from the air to make flames rather than drawing an existing source. I'm excited at this progress, I hope I'll learn more. I'm planning to setup my forge space to practice further, until I have a grip on how to handle fire safely.

Then er, Freia drenched me. After Isabelle drenched me. I'm surprised I survived, well, it was an interesting afternoon. I'll keep watch for her. She deserves another dunking...

As for more serious things though. Laicelem told me something happened with that Reinhard fellow again. I'm not sure how much I want to be involved, but I know he's trouble. I think I'll send word at the very least if I spot him again.

9/13/22

I did it. I told Sylvia I wanted to marry her. And I survived. I don't think we'll decide on where to spend our days yet, I'll get to that later. Nowhere seems quite safe, I don't know. Oh, and her favorite flower is a dahlia. I'm going to keep this in mind.

Laicelem told me he's leaving for somewhere up north, spending time to gather his thoughts or some such thing. He's a little unusual, especially with his being blessed and all, but I think I can reliably say he's a friend I'll miss.

Last edited:

AbsentUser

Legend of Altera
Hero
Retired Staff
AbsentUser
AbsentUser
Hero
11/4/2023

I can't believe I found this thing again, I thought it was lost or thrown away years ago. Some of the pages have faded, but there's still plenty of room left to fill it in. How long has it been? I can't keep track of time thoroughly anymore, it all seems muddled. Willow is sixteen now, Netari is gods know where, and there's yet another war going on a little too close for comfort. I suppose none of that would make sense to anyone picking this up and reading it, but who's going to anyway? Explanations aside, I think it'll be good to write my thoughts again. Life has been mixed up for a while, but I wouldn't trade any of this for the world. Willow being kidnapped was hard, but I'll ############### a line has been thoroughly scratched out. No. No, I have to take care of her and Sylvia. I'm more proud of her than I like to let on, though some days I wish she'd be more like her mother. I'm always worried she'll end up being just like me, and that's the last thing I want to see happen. There, that's enough of my rambling. Sylvia says dinner's ready.

AbsentUser

Legend of Altera
Hero
Retired Staff
AbsentUser
AbsentUser
Hero
1/31/2024

I've nearly done it. Turning into my father, despite fighting all my life to avoid it. But I'm finally starting to understand the peace in living simply, safely, and away from all the noise. I hardly know how it happened, but I love this life. I suppose we weren't so different as I had hoped, unfortunately. I find myself just like him despite fighting it with the entirety of my being, but I think I've finally given up and accepted that I enjoy it. Sipping tea on the porch, watching the birds fly through the sunset. Lighting up the forge as sunlight is replaced by moonlight, and hammering out a few pots for the inn or a new logging axe. Heading back in to ask Sylvia what she's writing while I tend the fire, or checking if Willow made it home yet. I've turned into everything I once hated, but now I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'll dust off my blade if need arises, or if I find myself with an unquenchable itch for adventure, but somehow I've lost the need to have it with me every moment of the day. My thoughts certainly are scattered tonight, aren't they? Well, at least I'm not publishing anything I write. Here's to finding out if I'll be the same man I am today when I pick this up again. Something makes me hope so.