Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

BioShock Infinite -Spoilers-

Were you able to understand what happened in the end, or did you have to seek outside help to do so?

• Total voters

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
To clarify, this thread's purpose is for those who have beaten this game, and wish to discuss it, in all its respects, but focusing on it's ending. This will inevitably contain major spoilers.

I finished this game quite recently, and for anyone who has done the same should know, it really can be difficult to get your head around the ending and certain events in the game. I see this game as the Donnie Darko of games, meaning, that it is open to speculation.

In the last moments of the game, multiple things happen, and I feel you are presented with almost too much information to process. But I believe I have the basics across. After the Battle of Wounded Knee, Booker DeWitt seeks a form of redemption, religion. He wants to wipe away his sins, but he has doubts. He goes to be baptized, where he is presented with a choice: accept baptism, or accept living with his sins. The Booker we play as, chose to live with his sins, and the Booker who chose to be baptized, becomes the main antagonist, Zachary Hale Comstock.
It all comes down to that choice. And it can't be made, hence the ending. If Booker denies the baptism, then he goes on kill all those people in Columbia, and lead the Vox Pupuli in a bloody revolution that burns most of Columbia to the ground. If Booker accepts the baptism, he goes on to build Columbia, a fascist, racist, and militant floating city that intends to purge the world.
That's why Booker DeWitt had to die, so that he wouldn't be able to make the decision, to make sure that neither of his future incarnations ever get to exist. The Comstock you kill in the game knew it had to end this way, and even the Booker you play as knew, he just didn't realize it meant him too, because he didn't know Combstock was his alternate future.
I know that I left out the whole piece about Elizabeth being Booker's daughter and how his alternate future stole her from him because he need a child and couldn't have one but that's the part I'm still fairly fuzzy on. Mostly why he gave her to Lutece. I'm also confused how Lutece got you to go after Elizabeth, or how that's even possible considering neither Combstock nor Columbia would have existed in the universe Booker originally came from. I must have missed something.

I would like some help putting the final pieces together that I just mentioned, and I would love if the people who have finished this game could converse on the subject of it's ending and thier thoughts or perceptions of it. Perhaps point out something I missed or add to a theory.

creeperhunterpb

Lord of Altera
I started replaying the game just so I could clarify that a while ago. I am still really confused about Elizabeth too, but I agree way too much too fast but meh, that's what makes it a good game.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Essentially:
The Luteces were quantum scientists who found a way to produce a field that created a connection between the currently resided-in universe and some neighboring parallel universe.
When the game is played, you are playing in a universe that has two people who came from Booker. As Columbia exists, we have to conclude that Comstock was that universe's original Booker, and thus that the booker you play as was transported through a tear to that universe. This had to have happened before the beginning of the game lighthouse scene, because the light house contained the device to trasnport booker to columbia. Thus the Luteces probably transported him through a tear some time before the game started.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
After playing the original Bioshock, I felt that Infinite's ending was... superior to that of the first. Thoughts?

Valcust

Lord of Altera
was going to say necro, but, this is your thread, so~

Bioshock and Bioshock infinite both shared equal amounts of psycological thriller goodness, I felt, and as both are so different in their settings and stories, I feel it inadequate to compare the story endings, especially since even Bioshock had all the feels of it's time, giving your life for the betterment of others, feeling complete and final, the ending wrapped everything up nicely.
(unless you got the evil ending, then you're a terrible and horrid person and should feel bad)
As for gameplay..
Bioshock had the MUCH superior ending, the classical "last boss" that you see so few of these days, they really need to bring it back :<
I wanted to defeat the SongBird in a magnificent fight of epic proportions~!
Instead I got a camp and protect mission that was balls hard and unsatisfying as a gaming level.

Valcust

Lord of Altera
I also want to rant about why I love the songbird and the big daddies: They are NOT the bad-guys, YOU are.
Before you arrived, they were happily going about their life, giving their child counterparts protection, entertainment, and companionship, at nearly father-like levels.
With every big daddy I brought down, with every raging scream and roar, I felt a love eminate from him unlike any other, the willingness to put his life on the line for someone other than himself.
Same goes for songbird, he was keeping elizabeth as happy as she could be in the tower.
He was not keeping her there, he was keeping her safe.
If others knew what she could do, they would tear her apart, use her for experiments.
All songbird did was bring her books, pictures, and taught her of the world.
All of his care shows in the moment he chose to spare your life as Elizabeth apologized for leaving.
With a loving hand, he gently took her back to the cage where she would be safe.

...I love these guys, why did they have to die? T_T
Booker is a jerk. And Jack isn't even a person >:,I

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
I did not think that the ending for Bioshock really connected all too well to the story, it really left me asking: Is that it? I felt like there really should have been more to it, just a bit more of an explanation. The good and bad ending both.

In regards to your opinion on the Songbird and Big daddies alike, I fully agree with the emotional bondage presented between the protected and the protector. I agree how you, as the character, break that bondage hence casting the character in a negative light.

W

wakerman4

Wooo! Necro!

After running through this game and completing it, yes, I agree @Squidziod , it's ending was amazing!
And if anything: the game should be liked more for it's storyline, not for what it's graphics are
stupid game critics.

Alexandregd

Legend of Altera
Anyone endead Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 1 yet? it's amusing, just endead it
sorry for being a necromancer and bringing this thread back from the dead

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
I just bought that last night, and I look forward to it. And as long as it's relevant, I don't think anyone will mind about any so called necros.

Alexandregd

Legend of Altera
I had it since Pre-order was possible for Bioshock Infinite, All Dlcs in one DLC! Amusing DLC for a game made by a company who make lots of dlcs.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Alright, I just finished it, I thought it was great. However, amusing is not the word I would use to describe the ending of Burial at Sea.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
Despite how the ending mirrored the base game, I really didn't see it coming. I thought Sally was going to really be Anna or something along those lines. The fact that you where actually Combstock was surprising, but not as surprising as the drill protruding through your chest when you found out.

Screenshot (362).png

Alexandregd

Legend of Altera
Yep I got like What? Really? Oh... how'll there be an episode 2? I was surprise... as (add the f word here)

Last edited: