Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

cancelled - [AoT] Arc Overview

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Arc of Thieves
Arc Overview

1650617064589.png

The Arc of Thieves is a set of events, focused on stealth and evasion, that'll take place over the course of at least 2 months.
Those who are familiar with the Arc of Destiny will recognize that this arc is based on the same principles.
Those who are not yet familiar with those principles will read all they need to know in this thread.

At the end of this arc is a hoard. The only route to that hoard is through this arc. There are no shortcuts.
I want people to go through some good effort to find these lost relics. If you're interested in finding the hoard, then it's that effort you'll be signing up for.

There is a vast array of motivations for different characters to want to find, or keep hidden, this hoard. I want to accommodate these different motivations and not just put them all on a pile and host an event chain with a singular outcome. I'm going to do my best to force your hand as little as possible. YOU are in control here of all your own character's actions. Like an extensive race against not just the clock, but also other players, you will be competing to be the first to find it. Last time, at Melzar's arc of destiny, there were many groups signing up, but only a single group that saw it through until the very end. So you've got a good chance to win if you know perseverance.

Nothing about this arc is set in stone except the mechanics that bind it together. I'm going to allow anything to happen, as long as I am convinced that it's IC and not influenced by OOC or META. This arc is a catalyst for interactions with each other, especially outside of the arc itself. It is not just about roaming the map; it's about finding clues, persuading others to hand you clues without them realizing that you're out to steal the big prize, using the influence of charisma, using a show of force, or even getting closer to the end goal via your daily RP with other members.

Because the cool thing is; nobody knows who is in on this arc!

That's right; you're signing yourself up privately in a conversation with me on the forums, the signup form can be found [
HERE]. It will start out with a personal small 5-minute DM and gradually it'll turn into larger group events. I'll try to give everyone an equal chance to get a DM, but if you're significantly inactive or late, others might get more interaction than you do.

So, the sign-up will happen in private. Try not to talk too much about it OOCly. I think a large part of the fun of this arc is not knowing who is in it. But not just OOCly, also ICly; Not knowing that your character might just accidentally have spilled valuable information for another thief to beat you to the next clue. After all, the stakes are high and only the best thieves will claim the trophy. If you accidentally spill the beans and a competitor finds out that you're after the same treasure, they might want to sabotage you (as I will surely allow: All part of the game!).

As time goes on, you may ICly find out that one of your character's close friends is after the hoard too. That is a natural way to team up with up to 4 people. If you are not that fortunate, then I'll bring those who have a similar motivation in finding the hoard together through IC nudging if they need it. But I'm getting ahead of myself, read exactly how this is gonna go in the mechanics below!

Mechanics for The Arc of Thieves

Stage One: The Rumors
Becoming a thief by heart

You'll be getting small hints and rumors that may nudge your character to find their motivation to go after a well-guarded treasure.
During this stage, your character will slowly start to realize why it's a good idea to attempt to steal the treasure and will start planning how they'll go about it.
After your first hints/rumors, you may start finding up to 3 people (to make a group total of 4) to start planning the heist.

Stage Two: The Clues
Becoming a thief by act

You'll be presented with different ways of gaining clues: From puzzles and codes to bits of text, to interactions with characters who know more than you do.
All of these different ways will include acts of thievery, from small burglary to pickpocketing to stealthy roof jumping and eavesdropping.
During this phase, you piece together sparse information to get a hint of where to go looking for more information about the treasure itself.
During this phase, you remain with your group of 4 thieves, preparing for your first large-scale burglary.
Of course, if you want to practice burglary in your daily RP, you're very welcome to do so without me!

Stage Three: The Search
Honing your thieving craft

You've gathered enough clues to go looking for a vital clue; a misplaced part of the treasure, which was hidden elsewhere.
You may initiate this stage yourself when you figure you know where to find a piece of the treasure by messaging me in our convo.
During this bit, you'll be going on travels with me as DM. I will DM the weather, animals, citizens, etc., and allow you to find new hints to find the ultimate hoard.
In this stage, you'll perform your first great act of thievery; stealing a part of the treasure located elsewhere which will hint towards the real hoard!

Stage Four: Breaking and Entering
Testing your thievery skills

You've discovered where you think the great hoard may be and will enter the well-guarded place with me as DM.
If the place you found is not where the hoard is, you may still find a clue there and return to stage three and continue from there.
If this is the place the hoard is at, this is your moment to try and reach the booty. During this phase, you'll prepare to go inside and do so.

Stage Five: Filling Pockets
Becoming a master thief

This is where you choose what to do, now that you've found the hoard. Donate it to a museum? Keep it for yourself? Sell it all? Offer it to a divine?
During this stage, you also have control over the place where it is found! If you're the first to find it, you could set up traps, leave taunting notes, etc.
An important note; once the treasure is found, stealing it from the ones who found it is prohibited and not part of the arc.
This arc ends when the characters walk out with the loot. If they're open to having it stolen from them, that is up to them to decide.

Mechanics within the stages

Throughout the stages, you'll have the power to do whatever you wish!
The possibilities end where your imagination does. If you come across a mercenary character that gives you a clue, why not also pay him something extra to attempt an assassination on your competitors? These sorts of things are encouraged and will be accommodated. In the end, keep in mind that this will spread out over a long period of time. This is not something you can actively do every day a week and then expect to find the hoard within 10 days. It's more of a background sort of thing that you can keep returning to whenever you like.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
Do NOT try to contact me with PMs on discord. You'll wear me thin before it has even started, that way.
All communication about this arc will happen through this thread and our private conversations on the forums.

The signup form for characters can be found [
HERE]
The signup form for regions can be found [
HERE]

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Setting this up, it won't start for a few weeks, but folks can now sign up so I can set the stage!

My intended idea of a time schedule to give you some idea of what to expect:
  • 2-5 weeks gathering characters and regions and preparing behind the scenes
  • 2 weeks of stage 1: rumors and small 5 minute DMs
  • 1 week of stage 1: grouping characters
  • 2-4 weeks of stage 2: giving out clues
  • 2-5 weeks of stage 3: events; first burglary
  • 2 weeks of getting to the end of stage 4.
  • 2-3 weeks of stage 5: allowing second and third place to fall into traps and wrapping things up.
As you can see, it'll take at least 2 weeks before the mere rumors start and at least 13 weeks in total to wrap the entire arc up. Patience is a virtue!

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Hello dear folks,

I've returned from my holidays with new insights and have decided to stop with the Arc of Thieves. I set it up to be bigger than I can handle and it seems I've bitten off more than I can chew! This decision stems from me simply setting it up on too large a scale. I think it'd be wise to admit defeat and throw in the towel, rather than force out a couple of events when my heart's not in it.

I know this must come as a disappointment to some excited people. I apologize for making you excited for something that now turns out won't actually happen. Hopefully, I'll see you at the smaller-scale events like Archaeology and Nid Arach! I'll leave off starting new arcs and focus on these two things that are always active rather than creating a story arc for a while.

Those that donated for the final hoard will get their items and radiants back. I'll post in the rumors thread that there has come an end to the thievery spike so that this change also lands in character. And I'll reach out to the individual groups to thank you all for showing your enthusiasm and joining my wacko idea.

I hope you can understand this decision and we'll see each other around!

Kind regards,
Bart.