Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Kerbal Space Program

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Don't bother with transmitting unless the ship isn't ever going home. My mission was a manned return trip. I haven't bothered with transmitting data for a while now, even though I unlocked panels.
Well Jeb died (since they always default equp him) so I restarted the game and went for the solar panels from the beginning this time.
I just have to Transmitting is useful shortly before you land in case it doesn't go as well as you thought. Crew reports are also always 100% so it doesn't really matter that much.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Ohhh the irony....
And yes It kipped on landing... Looks like 30 m/s are still too much. I tried tuning it down to 20 but it wouldn't let me :/
Funny thing is: After falling over, technically crashing (destroying 2/3 engines) it somehow landed on its feet lol - sadly without the command pod :(

Attachments

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
Ohhh the irony....
And yes It kipped on landing... Looks like 30 m/s are still too much. I tried tuning it down to 20 but it wouldn't let me :/
Funny thing is: After falling over, technically crashing (destroying 2/3 engines) it somehow landed on its feet lol - sadly without the command pod :(
you misspelt pod in the picture. Dont worry, it is fitting

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Yeah, you want to land at 3m/s or less if at all possible. I tend to touch down at 1-2m/s, which is a pretty safe speed.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Yeah always causing my craft to go up again :(
I even tried mechjeb autopilot but its apparently buggy and doesn't work - at least even my landing attempts were better than what it is producing lol

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Mechjeb orients the landing based on the orientation of the Mechjeb part. If you have it at an angle, it's going to try and land sideways.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Yeah. A quick fix is to right click on the probe core or flight pod and saying "control from here", which reorients the craft to the direction that part points.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
It points upwards though which is the strange thing :/ I pretty much got:

Engines ---> Science-->Pod-->Mechjeb--> Parachute

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
Never really used Mechjeb, but I find that 10m/s is pretty much the limit for landing speeds.

I've successfully landed with struts going at 10m/s, and landed once at 7.9, my fuel tanks exploded that time but the command pod survived.

Angryboy

Has never successfully gained a proper orbit and been able to land without cheating :'C

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
People on steam said everything above 50 ms/s is too fast, I guess it depends on the planet though.
Either way I finally managed to get a lander down to 1.7 ms/s and manged to land it on a very steep slope in the east crater. once I return with the data I should be able to get everything I need for landing on Eve. Funniest part though: i installed solar panels and didn't even need them lol.

Good someone told me that there is a quicksave...

Attachments

Angryboy

So practice instead of relying on Mechjeb!
Never actually used Mechjeb.

The most automatic thing I've used is the programmable kOS (Kerbal Operating System) mod, which still requires a LOT of input on the players part.... and knowing the exact figures :)

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Evaluating the Jr science box in the suns orbit gives over 250 Science lol; I had transmit everything though... Well At least I didn'ät have problems with Solar panels not getting energy lol.
And yes the probe burned up...