Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Looking for Volunteers for a Murder!

What are your thoughts on this event idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raykaystar

Lord of Altera
Honestly I think the best way to go about this is to find some staff members who are willing to help you plan this event. If they think something you are doing is wrong, they can help guide you on how to run this event. Having someone like a staff member helping would make the whole thing a lot easier. Plus then you wont have anyone accusing you of breaking rules!

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
Honestly I think the best way to go about this is to find some staff members who are willing to help you plan this event. If they think something you are doing is wrong, they can help guide you on how to run this event. Having someone like a staff member helping would make the whole thing a lot easier. Plus then you wont have anyone accusing you of breaking rules!
Don't worry, I plan on working as much with staff as I can :)

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
It's all perfectly good concerns. There's nothing wrong with that. I would have posted something similar, but less Winnie the Pooh.
The concerns are all valid, it's just their post is worded to sound more like "listen here you little bitch" rather than "Let's improve on this idea".

Raykaystar

Lord of Altera
The concerns are all valid, it's just their post is worded to sound more like "listen here you little bitch" rather than "Let's improve on this idea".
I'm sorry but I kinda have to agree. Some posts were a little harsh. This is a cool idea it just needs a few edits. We can all help out with that

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Okay three big bits of advice.

1. Cut the assured death of player chars. As I told you when you first ran the idea by me no one wants to be in a situation where they have no chance of success. If you need assured victims ask folks to volunteer to play NPCs, you get the perma death and no one feels they were robbed of agency because it’s just a NPC whose purpose was to die. Have all player chars who sign up be potential victims but once encountered it is a standard CRP situation. Assured victory=boring, assured failure=boring and frustrating.

(If someone wants to volunteer their normal chars to die for event plot all the better but I think this way you will get more positive feedback and interest.)

2. Rules on gore as players have pointed out. You can paint a broad picture but no details.

3. I’d suggest poking around to find some other older folks who have run HW events for some advice/co event runner to help you out. We have some players, some of which who have posted here who have done some pretty awesome events. Not trying to discourage or anything it’s just running events in a MC setting is hard. What would work for a story or a DND campaign may not translate well, especially in large groups. I for example have only ran a couple small events as I don’t handle large groups well.

Morbid

Lord of Altera
Evil
ThatMorbidBanter
ThatMorbidBanter
Evil
Okay three big bits of advice.

1. Cut the assured death of player chars. As I told you when you first ran the idea by me no one wants to be in a situation where they have no chance of success. If you need assured victims ask folks to volunteer to play NPCs, you get the perma death and no one feels they were robbed of agency because it’s just a NPC whose purpose was to die. Have all player chars who sign up be potential victims but once encountered it is a standard CRP situation. Assured victory=boring, assured failure=boring and frustrating.

(If someone wants to volunteer their normal chars to die for event plot all the better but I think this way you will get more positive feedback and interest.)

2. Rules on gore as players have pointed out. You can paint a broad picture but no details.

3. I’d suggest poking around to find some other older folks who have run HW events for some advice/co event runner to help you out. We have some players, some of which who have posted here who have done some pretty awesome events. Not trying to discourage or anything it’s just running events in a MC setting is hard. What would work for a story or a DND campaign may not translate well, especially in large groups. I for example have only ran a couple small events as I don’t handle large groups well.
Thanks for the advice Immerael! I'll try updating things, though I still do need some actual characters at risk, otherwise, nobody is going to care IC or OOC. It means more if you care about the people dying, and that was the whole reason I wanted unused chars to begin with, but the NPCs making up the bulk is a great idea! The gore part will be edited to better fit the server designs, and I do plan on asking more about event running from people like Kamaoe, as all of my experience with these things as the DM on D&D as you pointed out. Thanks for the advice!