Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] I've a suggestion

Raith

Lord of Altera
for when it comes to technological advancement; say you need a certain amount of science in order to get this tech, but if you get an issue regarding that specific tech then you are allowed to have it. this may be great or it may horribly fail.

Ray1333

Lord of Altera
I maintain my formally stated opinion; I believe we would benefit from a single general technological era (eg. a range spanning the techs of an IRL 50 year time period,) with issues (being almost completely random) having no effect whatsoever.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
I don't mind redacting a part of my cyborg tech, although most of it is crude, and we could practically do it to this day if we wanted RL. Arcturix's edge is just hilariously large proportions, not extremely complex stuff. But If I did, some *coughs* synthetics people would have to considerably nerf themselves.

Then again, I also kinda like the slight ''scifi'' edge we have currently, as long as not more OP techs are being used by some peeps.

@Lord_Sinclair
Someone here might also have an opinion on the matter! :)

RexJen

Lord of Altera
Question:
How high would your science have to be to be able to mine and process asteroids while in space?
Also, how high would your science have to be to be able to create negative energy (one of the only known ways to travel faster than light)

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Question:
How high would your science have to be to be able to mine and process asteroids while in space?
Also, how high would your science have to be to be able to create negative energy (one of the only known ways to travel faster than light)
1. If you have any space industry, the space elevator makes it way easier to do things. For example, it's about 15 km/s of delta-v to get to the Moon from Earth's surface, of which ~9km/s of that is just to get into LEO. The space elevator slashes the required amount of delta-v to go anywhere since, as the saying goes, once you're in orbit you're halfway to your destination. If you have no space industry to speak of, you don't know how to make rockets and nothing changes. Processing asteroids in space is doable but difficult since you also have to address life support if using humans for some reason, but otherwise robots can do it fine if your nation knows the laws of orbital dynamics well enough to plot intercepts and captures and such.

2. No negative energy, FTL breaks the future-modern setting just as surely as aliens would. And it isn't one of the only known ways, it's a loophole in the math describing relativity and isn't actually possible, since the Standard Theory doesn't allow negative energy. Antimatter can be created in particle colliders in ultra-small quantities at, I'd say, 175-200 science (particle colliders are huge and serve 0 purpose besides theoretical science, no nation without a significant science investment would make one), but keep in mind antimatter is currently $62.5 trillion per gram and we don't know how to stabilize it so it doesn't react with matter immediately and vanish.

RexJen

Lord of Altera
1. If you have any space industry, the space elevator makes it way easier to do things. For example, it's about 15 km/s of delta-v to get to the Moon from Earth's surface, of which ~9km/s of that is just to get into LEO. The space elevator slashes the required amount of delta-v to go anywhere since, as the saying goes, once you're in orbit you're halfway to your destination. If you have no space industry to speak of, you don't know how to make rockets and nothing changes. Processing asteroids in space is doable but difficult since you also have to address life support if using humans for some reason, but otherwise robots can do it fine if your nation knows the laws of orbital dynamics well enough to plot intercepts and captures and such.

2. No negative energy, FTL breaks the future-modern setting just as surely as aliens would. And it isn't one of the only known ways, it's a loophole in the math describing relativity and isn't actually possible, since the Standard Theory doesn't allow negative energy. Antimatter can be created in particle colliders in ultra-small quantities at, I'd say, 175-200 science (particle colliders are huge and serve 0 purpose besides theoretical science, no nation without a significant science investment would make one), but keep in mind antimatter is currently $62.5 trillion per gram and we don't know how to stabilize it so it doesn't react with matter immediately and vanish.
1. Isnt it something like 1 asteroid has more rare resources than we have mined so far from the earth?
2. Particle colliders are quite useful as theoretical science might come up with something that can be used in the everyday (Im saying something like 300+ for FTL travel, which is less ridiculous than a multiverse that only a mechanica-like nation can successfully navigate)

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
1. Isnt it something like 1 asteroid has more rare resources than we have mined so far from the earth?
2. Particle colliders are quite useful as theoretical science might come up with something that can be used in the everyday (Im saying something like 300+ for FTL travel, which is less ridiculous than a multiverse that only a mechanica-like nation can successfully navigate)
1. Not really, no. They have lots of things that are valuable because they're hard to get on Earth or have value because they're easier to mine that get off the planet, like water.

2. Yeah, I'm pushing 400 science. No FTL, it breaks the setting. If everyone can up and find their own planets, the NationStates RP is dead because there's 0 need to do politics and whatnot. If you're interested in a space empire RP, host one on the forums. And that stuff was self-retconned as too silly when the RP got popular again.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
2. Yeah, I'm pushing 400 science. No FTL, it breaks the setting. If everyone can up and find their own planets, the NationStates RP is dead because there's 0 need to do politics and whatnot. If you're interested in a space empire RP, host one on the forums. And that stuff was self-retconned as too silly when the RP got popular again.
Wat if... the next Nationstates large RPs are new galactic empires fighting eachother over Earth? xD
Sieg Arc Galactic Reich! @Lord_Sinclair