Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[OPEN] Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowWorld

HollowWorld's Announcer
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Staff
-= ━━━━━━ ════[ =]◈[= ]════ ━━━━━━ =-
R E S E A R C H
-= ━━━━━━ ════][════ ━━━━━━ =-

Scholars have driven discovery and innovation in Altera since long ago. The creation of new materials and concoctions, the study of mysterious creatures and plants, even the curing of unknown diseases - nearly anything is possible for the brilliant enough mind.

━━━━━━══][══━━━━━━

[ MUNDANE RESEARCH ]
Basically anything and everything can be researched. Existing lore can be researched to gleen greater knowledge, and new or unknown lore can also be researched in order to understand its breadth. Research is an umbrella term - it covers the creation of new technology or material combinations, the study of bestiary creatures, and even things as mundane as studying the constellations. Research tickets are handled by the Lore Team on Discord.
Limitations
The server is Techlocked to the Medieval Era around the European/Mediterranean setting, which is the 1400s. Any technology or research that aims to learn anything beyond the capabilities of Alterans will inevitably find their research denied ooc, and are dissuaded from attempting it ic. We are slowly working to expand the regional setting, but still expect players to respect the limitations.
Exceptions ||
Ships: Visually, we’ve allowed ship aesthetics to be up to the 1600s.
Expectations
Although anything outside of subject matter mentioned in Limitations can be pursued, research won’t always lead to success. The only guarantee with research is discovering something: whether that be what you set out to discover, the opposite of such, or even something completely unexpected.
The onus is on the player to conduct thorough research in order to overcome any roadblocks or unexpected tangents - however, if a certain end goal is impossible, that will be clearly communicated to avoid frustration or confusion.
Prerequisites
Research can be conducted by anyone, however having experience or skill in pertinent areas will be considered and may aid in the process: a seasoned alchemist will have a simpler time creating a new potion than a novice, simply due to their experience with the craft. Experience, however, is not the end-all be-all.
[ ARCANE RESEARCH ]
Arcane research is a more specific part of research as a whole, dealing specifically with the Arcane system. Similar to mundane research, the possibilities are broad for what can be studied. These research tickets are handled by the Arcane Team through Discord.
[ CLOSED RESEARCH ]
The following research topics are currently closed ||
  • Crafts created beyond the Techlock and Region lock
  • Alchemy Research beyond the current potions written
  • More tbd
[ FORMAT ]
Research tickets (both mundane and arcane) should be made in the following format:
Goal: (State the objective of the research - what are you hoping to find? This should clearly detail what you, the player, are expecting to achieve through this research both ooc/ic.)
Relevant Background: (Here you may detail any relevant experience or skills that your character will employ in the context of the research.)
Hypothesis: (This is largely IC, explaining your character’s expected results and what question(s) they are asking.)
Procedure: (Here, you will explain how your character will test their hypothesis and pursue the goals of the research. It may be a paragraph or paragraphs, or may be a bulleted list.)
Research will usually be a back-and-forth experience - once the team presents the initial results of your experiment(s), you are free to analyze them and come back with follow-up experiments to pursue the same or even a modified goal.
Example 1:
Goal: To create a new potion that will generate this specific effect.
Relevant Background: My character is a Journeyman alchemist who studies Alchemy among more experienced alchemists.
Hypothesis: My character presumes that combining the essence of this ingredient with crimsonwort essence will create a potion that generates this specific effect.
Procedure: I will detail my process in a dotted list.
  • First, my character powders this ingredient.
  • Then, he calcinates it to create an essence.
  • Next, he will combine it with crimsonwort essence to hopefully create a potion.
  • Lastly, he will test if this potion is safe for consumption by feeding it to a rabbit.
  • If it seems safe, he will ingest it to observe the effects and note them down.
Example 2:
Goal: I wish to investigate this new bestiary creature after encountering it in an event and recovering its corpse. I aim to discover basic physiological information and any special properties the animal’s yields may have.
Relevant Background: My character is not necessarily skilled in biology, but she has a general idea of bone structure and where organs are.
Hypothesis: My character noticed the creature used certain abilities in battle and wonders if the creature’s yields hold the same potential for use.
Procedure: Laying the corpse on a clean table, my character will put on gloves and an apron and get to work. Conducting a rudimentary dissection while her assistant takes notes and makes sketches to capture every detail of the creature’s physiology. Once this is done, she will further investigate the hide and bones to see what particular qualities she may find.

-= ━━━━━━ ════[ =]◈[= ]════ ━━━━━━ =-

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.