Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Putting an end to excessive violence

Sos

Lord of Altera
With all that that being said, i'm glad for the view of the admins, as it may mean less of the augmentative fighting style that we must do, spending half an hour arguing when and where a skilled veteran that specialized in killing elves (which i assume to be very difficult) could hit a lazy drunk i mean slightly-overweight-undefeated-arena-fighter-that-has-gone-up-against-gods-and-won....

you see my point...

Last edited:

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
augmentative fighting style that we must do
Huh?
where a skilled veteran that specialized in killing elves (which i assume to be very difficult) could hit a lazy drunk i mean slightly-overweight-undefeated-arena-fighter-that-has-gone-up-against-gods-and-won....

you see my point...
No, I really don't. About any of it.

Sos

Lord of Altera
Huh?

No, I really don't. About any of it.
basically i'm saying that there is no real fair way to decide the outcome of a fight, yeah we have the dice but the dice on their own mean nothing, and at that point your character's survival relies on a random number generator.
the alternative to the dice is to say what your character does and hope that the opponent isn't that guy about it. (see aforementioned example, although slightly exaggerated for arguments sake)
My point is that fighting is not actually fun to RP and people are looking for a fight more often than not and i have written myself into a corner where my character would back down when his honor is questioned.

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
I've seen a lot of talk about how bad death is and how it shouldn't be taken so lightly. This is true . . for the real world, but Altera deaths aren't the same as RL deaths and as such should not be treated with the same respect.

Altera isn't the real world.

Some characters know what happens after you die, it isn't that bad.

Some characters can be rezzed.

My character Dummyplug may have a "split personality" or just a repressed part of his own personality or insane or whatever, I haven't really decided yet. But every now and then he has to go and kill somebody(PvP or IC), I will not be changing this part of him. He has never tried to shrug off what he has done as not his fault. He has tried to break his little habit and was unable, so he tried to turn it to his advantage by sending the people he kills to Skraag where they will one day return as undead. He only recently learned that this was pointless in the eyes of Skraag because everyone will die and come to him anyway, but Skraag still likes the attention.

That said, Dummy has noticed the way people cling to life as if it is the only form of being that they get to experience and he has gone on a campaign to promote Skraag and increase peoples awareness of what happens after life which is totally and completely confirmed in Altera.

Dummyplug does not take pleasure from causing pain or suffering, but in no way does he see death as a bad thing or something that is to be avoided at all costs or something terribly tragic. Because in Altera, it really isn't that bad.

EDIT: Dummyplug's character has to have this personality flaw where he goes out and kills people every so often because I LOVE PVP. But since it has to be a IC thing in the Sorrows it then has to be an IC personality flaw.
This is cool and all, and I appreciate the thing you're doing...

But don't just randomly kill people during an event with no chance of RP. It's really infuriating, because not only was I pressured (by myself, not by anyone in particular), but I missed out on one of the rare events I attend.

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter

But don't just randomly kill people during an event with no chance of RP. It's really infuriating, because not only was I pressured (by myself, not by anyone in particular), but I missed out on one of the rare events I attend.
I don't really think it's 'random' though, is it? As I've said before, life is dangerous. Step outside, attend an event with potential murderer, die. I mean, it's not surprising. Unless I'm attending an event marked [PEACEFUL], I'm fully prepared for Light/Ulfberht to kill or be killed.

-K9

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug

So you click disagree even though you actually agree?

As far as killing you at the event goes:

The event took place in the Sorrows, I am free to kill anyone I want there, for any reason. You didn't have to take it as an IC death, you chose to.

You already stated in the event thread that your character went in there planning to die in the first place.

The event thread clearly states that anyone that disturbs the event will be removed by force, and the thread made sure to clarify force as DEATH.

Therry openly mocked the summoning of SKRAAG that DUMMYPLUG, SKRAAG'S CHOSEN, was undertaking. Therry was in HIS lands, in HIS castle, at HIS event, mocking HIS god, and now you say that I shouldn't have had him kill you without RP?

This is the Sorrows, our PvP fights are RP fights.

Edit: I don't mean to sound angry, sorry about that.

Edit2: I'm not angry, I love you.

Last edited:

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
So you click disagree even though you actually agree?

As far as killing you at the event goes:

The event took place in the Sorrows, I am free to kill anyone I want there, for any reason. You didn't have to take it as an IC death, you chose to.

You already stated in the event thread that your character went in there planning to die in the first place.

The event thread clearly states that anyone that disturbs the event will be removed by force, and the thread made sure to clarify force as DEATH.

Therry openly mocked the summoning of SKRAAG that DUMMYPLUG, SKRAAG'S CHOSEN, was undertaking. Therry was in HIS lands, in HIS castle, at HIS event, mocking HIS god, and now you say that I shouldn't have had him kill you without RP?

This is the Sorrows, our PvP fights are RP fights.

Edit: I don't mean to sound angry, sorry about that.

Edit2: I'm not angry, I love you.
Well... that's why I said I was pressured. I hate just shrugging off something like that, I was in the middle of a large crowd, doing exactly what I believe Therry would do. It feels horribly wrong to just say "Eh, that doesn't count, was in sorrows". It feels like a poor excuse.

And saying this is the Sorrows, annoys me. Yes, it is indeed in the sorrows, but it is an RP event. I feel like, with that excuse, I could just kill everyone if I wanted to. I didn't expect to break this setting, and having just been thrown out like that feels like I was unwanted.

Was the RP I was doing wrong? You never really specified, and I've been questioning it since. Things like this really upset me because I don't know if what I did was bad.

And as for my planned death: I wanted to actually experience the event first :/

Thanks for specifying that you aren't actually angry, I appreciate that. :heart:

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Well... that's why I said I was pressured. I hate just shrugging off something like that, I was in the middle of a large crowd, doing exactly what I believe Therry would do. It feels horribly wrong to just say "Eh, that doesn't count, was in sorrows". It feels like a poor excuse.

And saying this is the Sorrows, annoys me. Yes, it is indeed in the sorrows, but it is an RP event. I feel like, with that excuse, I could just kill everyone if I wanted to. I didn't expect to break this setting, and having just been thrown out like that feels like I was unwanted.

Was the RP I was doing wrong? You never really specified, and I've been questioning it since. Things like this really upset me because I don't know if what I did was bad.

And as for my planned death: I wanted to actually experience the event first :/

Thanks for specifying that you aren't actually angry, I appreciate that. :heart:
If your character acted they way they should have and my character acted they way they should have. Then everything is as it should be. ;)

Though I am sorry that you didn't get to experience the event.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Sociopaths don't kill people wantonly, and in fact aren't malicious for the most part.
THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW SICK I AM OF MENTAL ILLNESS BEING PLAYED OFF AS "oh look im randomly violent yes I know I have no reason to do any of this thats the point im crazy duh"

like. thats not how it works.
that is not how mental illness works.
I know a schizophrenic person. she is very nice and completely not violent.
my grandmother had bipolar. she was also not needlessly violent.
sociopaths do not kill without reason. neither do people with multiple personality disorder.
please do your research.

Last edited:

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW SICK I AM OF MENTAL ILLNESS BEING PLAYED OFF AS "oh look im randomly violent yes I know I have no reason to do any of this thats the point im crazy duh"

like. thats not how it works.
that is not how mental illness works.
I know a schizophrenic person. she is very nice and completely not violent.
my grandmother had bipolar. she was also not needlessly violent.
sociopaths do not kill without reason. neither do people with multiple personality disorder.
please do your research.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Sorry to be giving this a bump, but does this deal with Corrupted? Frankly I've been some violence from them :p
They are violent, yes. As are uncorrupted ones. The problem the thread wants to stop is "Excessive Violence from little to no provocation." There was an example of someone who drinks tea one morning and thinks, "Hey, let's go kill someone." -Which is probably the main thing they wanted people to take note of and keep down.

I've seen the Corrupted have at least purpose for their actions. Being provoked or threatened in some manner or other.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Sorry to be giving this a bump, but does this deal with Corrupted? Frankly I've been some violence from them :p
If yer mostly-ignore them they shouldn't bother you (Unless your character did something in the past that got you on our bounty list)

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
I'm on there twice! Once for when they spelled my name wrong, and again for when they got it right! :D
I think I may of put the bounty up :D either you or Scardrac while back. Your welcome for sending poor souls to your doorstep

best way to kill your enemy is to tell them you have an assassination job and send them to your castle xD