Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Tale] Shades of the Night

Reedie

The wrong.
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Reedie_
Reedie_
Legend
This is about this event!

--

    ] An old man sits around the campfire in the north of Verdant Valley, telling his tales about life in the city's walls.
Alright, alright- pull over one of those logs would'ya?

There's somethin' strange when ye get old, you know? People stop lookin' at ye, you practically disappear. Just a frail old man, heh? Aye, well- lemme tell ye somethin. Wasn't always so frail.

A-anyway. Used to walk about the streets, see what was goin' on. Then all this mess of politics - now there's somethin' I've never really understood. But I'm just an old man, hobblin' around, all these funny men of the continent patrolling the streets didn't pay much mind.

I think it all started with those two brothers Jackman, Wrynn and Allen. Some of the hardest workin' boys with wood, I'll tell ye, but the young Allen doesn't know when it's better to close his trap, hm? Well, one of those no-good fancy boys with the pikes came over, causing a stir, and before you know it, there's the young Jackman, all finger waggling in the man's face. Oh what an old man wouldn'a done to be one of those cogimancers, tellin' him to shut up!

    ] The man laughs, before coughing violently.

Didn't take long for him to get a pike in the arm, and his brother two, for rushin' in. I'd think them dead, if not for that good lady Lyka draggin' 'em over to the Almshouse opposite. Good folk, they are. I carried on my little walk, head down, y'know? Felt bad for the boys, but I'm not exactly in prime fightin' shape myself!

What got people real riled up was that poor moor girl, Soliana. Sweetest lil thing, used to make flower crowns and offer 'em to the boys sleepin' on the streets, ain't that charming? Well, I dunna' know what happened to her mother or pa, but she's always been runnin' around ever since she stood on two legs, that one. Tried to break up a fight, bless her- but when folk are swingin' axes, flowers don't do much to change minds. She just barely caught the back of one of those fancy boys' hatchet, and I never seen so much fury in folk in me' life.

A brave man, Edelbert, was the first te' take a punch. One of those knights who's just 'waitin for glory', y'know the type. Gave a real nice plea 'bout honour and Valiant, but wasn't enough sadly.

Soon enough, I myself started feelin' the aches, could hardly walk. Found a bed in the Almshouse myself, bless young Lyka.

    ] The man has a coughing fit, wiping at his mouth with a dirty cloth.

Well, whoever said the t'e gods were ignorin' us in the walls would've been stunned a few nights later. A group o' strangers, all types - they appeared in the night. Rumour has it they emerged from the mists themselves! Now there's somethin' - all my years, never heard o' such a thing.

These noble few even warded off one o' the fancy boys picking on poor Lyka, a Blessed of Jax no less! Bringin' food, water, supplies- why, I think the sisters in the almshouse had a feast on their hands! One by one, off they take the poor souls sufferin' in that place, taking them to the mists, leaving the blessings in their wake.

I've always thought there was still some good on this gods-damned continent, but there I saw it m'self. As we hobbled out into the boats, sailing off into the mists, I remember askin' around the huddled folk about who our little saviours were.

The young brother Jackman spoke up- said they were "shades o' the night, gone by morn."

N'er has somethin' like that brought such a smile to my face.

    ] The man stands, brushing some embers off of his ragged trousers. He'd lean in towards the group listening-

Hope's a powerful thing, 'member that.

    ] And off he trots into the night.