Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Colony - Introduction

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The colony - Introduction
This thread is meant to explain about the new world's colony, after Eventine got destroyed in the old world, and for you to join the colony if you like.

The new colony is located on an island south-west of Horror Island. The initial idea of having the savages interact with the colonists will finally come true!

02.jpg

The savages and the colonists will both be a constant factor and influence to each other, instead of the sporadic visits of randoms to the horror island.

This is your chance to make your character shine. On the island, it is all about what your character is good at. Other characters will be dependent on YOUR skills!

Reasons to join the colonists:
  • If you want to rp with savages on a more regular basis, signing up with the colonists will help you with that.
  • you like to roleplay survival situations on a more regular basis.
  • you want to have the possibility to be dependent on resources (you can still be independent as well)
  • you like to have regular events and a dedicated group responsible for the rp at the island.
  • you like to be free where you build
  • you like your character to have an influence at where the region is going
  • you like rp in groups, taking your role in the group (as leader, hunter, scout, fisherman, etc.)
  • you like other characters to be dependent on your character (for food, defense, well-being, etc.)
The colony is now based on a very small island. In time, we might expand to other small islands nearby, this expansion is totally 100% dependent on what happens in RP.

There'll be a new and better system behind the roleplay than before:
  • I will loosen the rules on rolling a bit. From this moment onward, when you perform an action, it is up to you whether you want to roll or not. If you like to leave the outcome of your actions to chance, have fun with the rolling. If you want to keep control, have fun without rolling :)
  • Everyone can walk on the shore to search for washed up resources. You may press the button on each dispenser/dropper once. This dispenser represents washed-up resources. You may go around the shoreline of the island once per IC day .
    These items could be: Drift-wood (log), sail (wool), fishing-rod, coconut (something edible). I might also sporadically drop a chest with goods on the shore of the island.
  • There will be a boat docked at the island. This means that you can travel from the island to anywhere you like. You're not stuck here.
  • The boat docked at the island will have several loot chests. Some are personal, others are first-come-first-serve chests. These will contain bonuses to make life on the island easier. Again, if you like some help, open a chest. If you want to be challenged, leave them be.
  • (More guidelines to be added later)
Tomorrow I will try to establish a port and open up the RP at the colony island.
Until then, feel free to sign up! The first boat will leave tomorrow, Kublai will take up to 5 people along on his boat that will sail to the island.

The big idea, summary:
This is what I envision: We start out with a few players to settle on these islands. Learn to live on the islands and to live from what the sea brings us (both floatsom and fish). From that, the colonists will tame the island they are on, creating a base of operations. From this base of operations, they will conquer the other small islands from nature and make them their own. They will do this while trying to live with savages as neighbors. As they claim more islands and form a town that has learnt to adapt to sea life. They might start little sporadic trades with other towns. They'll need things to progress further that they don't have on the islands: Iron, stone, etc. They will be able to trade the things they get from horror-island for what they need, hopefully. The settlements on the island will turn from wood to stone in time and a proper town will be build in the far future. Finally more proper trade on a more regular basis can be set up, as soon as they have a dock. With the town being more safe, things like festivals, balls, and the like can be held. Once the city is thriving, it'll be so from the blood, sweat and tears of a generation. The town drenched in its own history.

Questions will be answered in this thread, so shoot away!

Rules and Gameplay

The art of Colonization RolePlay.
The Fundamental Rules (later on referred to as FR):
These are the rules that you'll need to keep in mind and follow when you're on the colony. If you don't
like these rules, then colony rp might not be the right thing for you. Disregarding these rules will
end up in removing your perms to build in the colony.
--> The goal is to enjoy the process of achieving a set safe colony, so we'll try and stay as primitive as long as possible. This means you won't be able to bring many resources and you'll have to gather resources in the area as much as possible. (should you find something and you need an IG item for it, you are free to get that from your bank/enderchest/pocket, and name it)
--> Every action performed will take more time than usually, but won't be as slow as real life.
--> For every action you like to perform, you must keep fatigue in mind: You'll get tired after cutting down two trees and need to relax for a few seconds before proceeding.
--> Every action in roleplay must be emoted: You'll /ch rp and use ** for the thing your character does.
--> Day and Night time in Altera are already longer than normal MineCraft. During the day you can perform all manner of things you'd normally do. During the night, you either stay indoors, around a fire, or do other nightly activities. (like stealing, patrolling, staying on watch, sleeping, making plans for the next day, etc.)
--> Stashes: a stash is a pile of materials. In normal Minecraft, you can fill a chest with masses of a certain material, which is not realistic at all. In the colony, you place 1 block of the material in the chest, for each 5 blocks in the chest. In the picture below, you can see a stash of 5 blocks of planks. This means there can be up to 25 blocks of planks in the chest below. The bigger the stash, the more blocks you can put in the chest. The blocks are put into the chest in sets of 5 per square, instead of the normal max of 64 per square.
View attachment 74866
--> Carrying: the main rule is that you can carry 5 blocks of raw material or 10 blocks of processed material when performing an activity. However, this rule is not as strict as the other rules above. When performing a particular activity, the rule is very strict. But if you are patrolling and you happen to still have 5 logs and 40 planks in your inventory, by accident. There is no problem. This rule is in place so you have a guideline on what your character can carry. Do you have a small halfling as character, you might be able to carry less, and a strong earthspawn could carry more.
--> When you log out, you are free to choose to place a sign where you fell asleep or whatever reason there is why you're not at the camp.
--> I am one of the "Dungeon Masters" of the colony. If you progress too fast, carry too much, dig a mine without placing supports, build a house without roof supports --> I will make happen what would have happened in real life. a.k.a make the mine collapse, destroy the roof of the house, return your progress back to where it should have been. (regard it as some sort of minigame if you like, a dungeon but then above ground and with different challenges and goals)
Rules considering Activities:
Some activities are bound to a set of rules.
Things that are not named in the rules are free for own interpretation.
--> When chopping down a tree:
|---> You cut away all the logs from the ooc tree
|---> You leave the stump of the tree to uproot later on.
|---> You place some logs on the ground, creating a fallen tree.
|---> You take the time to chop pieces out of the tree you just created.
|---> Each set of 5 logs requires one man/woman to carry to a new position / chest. (can't carry more than 5 logs in inventory ICly.)
|---> Once the fallen tree is removed according to FR-RP you can create a stash.
--> When mining:
|---> You can mine 10 blocks total per part of day: morning, noon, afternoon. This means if you rest
enough between the day parts, you can mine 30 blocks a day. You cannot mine in the evening or
night.
|---> You need to place support beams (unprocessed logs in combination with fences) every 5-10
blocks you dig in any direction.
|---> It's no use to make a diamond pickaxe, mining goes very slow. Instead, to create the right feel,
use a wooden pickaxe: It's closer to the mining speed you'd have and requires constant maintenance
and repairs.
--> When farming:
|---> You need to somehow collect seeds, either from the wilderness or bring some with you.
|---> You are free to create any plant that would normally grow in the conditions the colony is in!
|---> Plants grow in stages. Use an IRL day for each stage. You start off with making the ground ready
and planting a sapling (sign)
The next step is to add a stage per day (with faster growing plants you can add a stage in your IRL morning as well as your IRL evening)
And so on, until you are satisfied with the shape your plant has taken so it is fully grown.
|---> In the end, when your plant is fully grown, you may pick an item you like its fruit/loot to be.
Then name this item (for instance a vine that is called "Hop" when you like hops for to brew beer).
Then place an item frame somewhere on you plant and place the hop in it at any time, so you can
ICly harvest them at set times, determined by your common sense.
--> When ... <more to come, per request>

Rules considering Rolling dice for RP actions:
Roleplay at the colony consists of an important part of chance. There are different kinds of actions
with different kinds of rolls. The rules below are guidelines. If you forget to add modifiers, it's no
disaster. However, these rules should be kept in mind when roleplaying and are the following:
--> Individual RP: This is the roll you use when your action affects only yourself or surroundings,
can be done in groups: You choose an action you wish to perform and follow up with a /roll d20.
From the outcome of this roll, you decide what happens in RP. This way there's a bit of chance, but
in the end you are the one controlling the severity of it.
--> Joint RP: This is the roll you use when you perform an action together. For instance, you're
trying to uproot a bush and your both pulling at it. Everyone involved with the action rolls a d20. The rolls are summarized. The sum of the rolls determines the outcome. Since you're performing the
action together, there is a higher chance of success.
--> Dungeon Master RP: This is roleplay that is initiated by the DM. In this case, the DM will tell
you when to roll. You roll as indicated by the DM and the DM will determine what happens with the
outcome of your roll. There's more surprise elements to this kind of rp than the previous ones.
--> Profession RP: This is the roll you use when you perform an action that your character is
specialized in. For instance a cook cooking food or a hunter taking a shot at a deer. You emote your
action, after which you follow it up with a /roll d20+5. You'll get a bonus 5 points to your roll,
because your character is skilled at the thing he/she does. This also counts for certain spots within
the colony. If you are roleplaying at a site with roll modifiers, signs will indicate it. For instance: a
kitchen will have a sign at the stove indicating you can roll +5 for when you're attempting to cook. If
your character is already a cook, this means you'll roll +10. This makes the RP more realistic, since a
noob would have more chance of burning his food than a proper cook would.
--> Wound RP: This is the roll you use when you perform an action while being wounded, dizzy,
sleepy, sick, weak, etc. You emote an action, followed up by a /roll d20-1 or minus another number,
increasing with the negative effects you're having.
--> Special Event RP: At times at the colony, the effort of the colonists is rewarded with special
event rp. This happens for instance when some colonists used all day to gather materials to build, or
worked their land all day, or used a big part of their time for something special. In this case, they may
add modifiers to their rolls, since they prepared well enough to have more chance of success.
Rules considering Joining and Leaving the colony:
--> You can join any time by taking the small boat.
--> You can be kicked off of the colony if you continue to break the above set rules.
--> You can leave the colony at any time ( for instance to join events and campaigns, or for roleplay with friends that live somewhere else!)
--> You cannot live on the colony as well as in some other town or village.
--> You can leave at any time, if you think the rp is not what you thought it would be.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
F.A.Q.

1. How often would a ship to leave be available IC? If I plop a character there how much time can he easily leave and return?
    I'd like to give everyone the freedom they need. Since sometimes people don't leave for ooc days and then sometimes they need to leave twice a day, I want them to be able to do that. Sometimes RP is so intense for 5 hours straight, that it feels IC like weeks. I want to allow that to happen, so you can take the boat any day and it'll be IC as well.
  2. Oi but... What's in it for those who have a comfy, safe life with little pay and a warm home?
    I understand your question and I've been pondering about it myself too. At the last colony, it was a new start for a lot of character. A way to build a home. At this colony, I'd like to continue that legacy. Here, the idea will be that the colony will be a set of islands that will, in time, become a wealthy city. At least, that is the goal. If you find a lack of excuse for your character to join, I hope the fact that he might one day be part of the leaders of a town (mayor, coinmaster, head of guards, etc.) and work towards that goal will be enough reason!
  3. How many times can you collect washed up resources from the dispensers?
    You may collect one item per dispenser, per IC day. (follow the day-night cycle in game)

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
I'm also open to suggestions. If you think you got something that can contribute to having more players on the islands or increasing enjoyment, do suggest!

Spirit

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
PudsNull
PudsNull
Legend
Cymic_

Oi but... What's in it for those who have a comfy, safe life with little pay and a warm home?
You get loot. And some pretty good rp going on. Like seriously- My savage ain't all that bad... (until you're caught in one of his traps) - but that's besides the point.

Spirit

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
PudsNull
PudsNull
Legend
But like IRP, for Stephiir himself what's in it? ((Although I may just create another character for this.))
Loot-Adventure-Discovery-(The fact he can say he's been there and survived)-More Loot-More Adventure

parto

Lord of Altera
How often would a ship to leave be available IC? If I plop a character there how much time can he easily leave and return?

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
How often would a ship to leave be available IC? If I plop a character there how much time can he easily leave and return?
I'd like to give everyone the freedom they need. Since sometimes people don't leave for ooc days and then sometimes they need to leave twice a day, I want them to be able to do that. Sometimes RP is so intense for 5 hours straight, that it feels IC like weeks. I want to allow that to happen, so you can take the boat any day and it'll be IC as well.
Oi but... What's in it for those who have a comfy, safe life with little pay and a warm home?
I understand your question and I've been pondering about it myself too. At the last colony, it was a new start for a lot of character. A way to build a home. At this colony, I'd like to continue that legacy. Here, the idea will be that the colony will be a set of islands that will, in time, become a wealthy city. At least, that is the goal. If you find a lack of excuse for your character to join, I hope the fact that he might one day be part of the leaders of a town (mayor, coinmaster, head of guards, etc.) and work towards that goal will be enough reason!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
added a summary and changed some things. Those who have read it already might want to re-read or at least read the summary :)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Just a last attempt of finding people who want to join me with this, otherwise I promise it's the last colony attempt :p
Some of you might get sick of the colony threads I've been making, I can understand.

Samiwashere

Soul stealer
Retired Staff
Samiwashere
Samiwashere
Legend
I think I'd be interested to use Apricot for this as I loved the old colony, but I dont think she's much use. She doesnt have any practical skills such as..mining..or stuff.

Puzlas

Lord of Altera
Puzlas
Puzlas
This sounds like it would be just as great as the last one, and I love the idea of progression, so I'm definitely interested!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Great! I'll be online today and tonight so maybe we can make a start :)

parto

Lord of Altera
The idea does sound neat. So long as I'm not anchoring a character down, I'd be interested in checking it out.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Tonight at 19:00h GMT+1 Me and Sami are going to start the rp, most likely at mockingbay, that we are leaving with a ship to colonize. Anyone who wants to come along is very welcome :)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Assume this is public knowledge?
ah yes, assume that it is public knowledge. Kublai will set sail from Mockingbay with who-ever wants to make a name for himself through labor and create their own city, together with a group of people. Plenty of motives to join.