Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Active Now [Violent] The Young Unblooded

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend

It is the wish of every young man to prove his worth to his peers, his family and indeed
everyone who will witness his actions; it is the wish of every young man to stand tall above all
others and in that position prove himself.

It is the wish of Prince Ciaran Hawklight.

---

The youth of Hawklight - the next generation in the most ancient and wealthy of Altera's noble
houses - find themselves unblooded after long periods of peace and the lack of true political
enemies to the House's might. None could take Blackstone - this is a fact that has been widely
agreed upon in their numerous discussions concerning hypothetical situations of war and
battle.

And so, under the shaky command of Ciaran Hawklight, the young warriors have taken it upon
themselves to find battle, if it will not come to them.

---

This event will consist of raids and assaults upon various settlements across the Northern
Kingdoms; both to gain glory and a name for the young men of Hawklight, and simply to
gather yet more wealth for the Crown.

Of course, we need settlement permission to perform these attacks. No region will be
permanently damaged (or at all if so desired). Obviously you consent to death by participating
in these events. Temporary characters either for the Hawklight youth or the defending citizens.

The preferred method for the fights themselves on our behalf would be PvP combat with
standardised equipment. We are also amenable to RP combat if the groups are not massive,
but in any sizeable conflict it simply does not work; at all.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend

Simply contact myself on the forums, either through private message or here, if you desire to join
as a temporary character. I'm also frequently available in-game. Due to the nature of the event(s)
we would prefer if you signed on as a Hawklight temporary, you remain as one and essentially
play the character as a proper one until the events end, at which time the character may once
more fade into irrelevance.

Regarding region sign up, the same as above, just contact me.

We have particular interest in raiding the following due to reasoning that is also provided and
would be appreciative if these were in particular discussed/allowed.

Astrakhan, due to the knowledge of House Hawklight that they are acting heretics, would be a
particular target sought after by the youth.

Similarly Valerius and the remainder of the state's regions follow the same logic.

Stoltfar due to proximity and coastal nature, as well as being viewed as relatively weak.

Blorbis83 godfather1 Electric

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
House Herenii submitted to "re-education" to "the true religion". We don't consent to the Dominion being attacked.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Stoltfar will be staying out of it, I have too many other things going on right now both on the server and irl to feel comfortable doing this anytime soon.

Legendary Fiction

It took a lot to get here
He was also looking for temps for the events, so the perms is being polite as well as finding out where and when to do such events.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
If we automatically consent to death by participating then he does. First off this is an organized event and not a random IC murderer, by default that means it requires the consent of the region owner if I'm not mistaken. And even if that wasn't the case, I'm fairly certain this falls in the "don't be an asshole" clause because this isn't exactly a reasonable justification to go around and butcher some folks. So I will still be refusing, thank you very much.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
I will add I'm entirely fine with people only using temps for this, while we risk our actual characters. Again, Combat RP or PvP works, just think the latter is more fluid for actual fights.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
While inidividual character actions must fit within the new consent laws, events that use regions must obtain owner permission before engaging in anything related to that region.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
While inidividual character actions must fit within the new consent laws, events that use regions must obtain owner permission before engaging in anything related to that region.
While it is true that you would need a region owner's permission to use their region for an event, You can't OOCly stop players from entering a town (Link here) and unless the region is set to peaceful, you can't stop them from attacking people in said town (Link here). Furthermore, a formal declaration of war should be considered more than enough roleplay validation for attacks to be lethal on both sides, though this might be a bit more clear had the server posted a set of war rules. As discussed also in the new consent rules thread, theft and property damage are also good to go so long as the region isn't peaceful (and so long as the owner of the item or building is contacted beforehand, which a formal declaration of war basically would be such a statement).

Basically, the only real difference is at least giving an event for each attack would let the victims know when the attack is coming and allow for them to pull alts.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
I am curious as to why I am tagged. Because of Cape Crow? Because I would think that's more south than north.

Lannis

You've yeed your last haw
Staff member
Admin
Events Staff
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Server Owner
Shadow Owner
While it is true that you would need a region owner's permission to use their region for an event, You can't OOCly stop players from entering a town (Link here) and unless the region is set to peaceful, you can't stop them from attacking people in said town (Link here). Furthermore, a formal declaration of war should be considered more than enough roleplay validation for attacks to be lethal on both sides, though this might be a bit more clear had the server posted a set of war rules. As discussed also in the new consent rules thread, theft and property damage are also good to go so long as the region isn't peaceful (and so long as the owner of the item or building is contacted beforehand, which a formal declaration of war basically would be such a statement).

Basically, the only real difference is at least giving an event for each attack would let the victims know when the attack is coming and allow for them to pull alts.
The difference between consent-relevant conflict and war is mostly a matter of scale and intent. Revised war rules are still under work, but to clarify a bit of the distinction in the meantime:
The recent consent update applies best to a smaller scale, where conflicts are interpersonal and generally only entail direct consequence to the characters involved. Acts of war generally entail some form of consequence or influence on a region or political entity as well, and while I personally believe that they shouldn't be treated all that differently, player-versus-player consent wasn't designed to handle large-scale conflict as well. It's a component of any larger conflict, but just doesn't account for all the considerations.
A general rule of thumb is that anything intended to affect the region/political entity/organization/what-have-you rather than any individual in the region is probably veering into an act of war, which requires coordination/consent. I'm not going to say that you shouldn't be able to burn Timmy the Turnip Merchant's storefront to shake him down, but wantonly destroying property with the intention of razing the city is not the same thing.
tl;dr Regions require more consent than people.

As to why coordination itself is important:
In order for conquering a place to be a meaningful accomplishment, the defending party needs to be adequately able to represent themselves. Fundamentally, any sort of war involves at least two sides responsible for contributing to the story, and it doesn't make sense from either a fairness or narrative perspective to plan an event for the other side's place without letting them know.
I know metagaming is a concern with any pre-coordinated surprise attack; my ideal state for conflict is that folk will be fair and reasonable about realistically distributing themselves and responding to an attack, but I know that's not always the case. My immediate answer for your summary is that using alts in a war is frowned upon and will probably lead to a banhammer if the other side brings it up. The not-yet-an-answer-but-may-be-later is that a GM-coordinated war may only need the 'when' divulged, not necessarily the 'where.' Both sides would need fair chance to scout/suss out what their enemy is up to beforehand by observing troop movements and whatnot, but removing the element of explicit forewarning and basing it off information that they can glean IC would tidy up concerns of metagaming.
That said, it'd mostly be a way to make things interesting rather than a direct precaution against metagaming. I want y'all to be good to each other, and it's probably a bad sign if you feel you need to lie or withhold information in order to be treated fairly in RP. We'll try to make it so that the rules promote fairness, but still be excellent to each other.

EDIT: Adding a disclaimer that OOC damage to a build always requires the agreement of the owner/builder. No actually burning Timmy the Turnip Merchant's storefront unless it's his build and he's cool with it.
Also, sorry for hijacking the thread. /rerail