Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

✿ A Guide To Use Of Magic In RP ✿

(Mods/Admins, feel free to remove thread if it isn't ok)

Lately, I have been seeing people use magic as an overpowered thing and it tends to always hit.
I have some tips on use of magic in RP.

Tip #1: Cast time -
In games, you see that the cast time of a spell is fairly long, usually 0,5 seconds or 1-2 seconds. People should think of that when casting a spell, it should not be an insta-cast and it can be interupted when a person knocks you out or bumps against you. When casting a spell, the person who you are fighting is allowed to fight while you cast.

Tip #2: Hit or fail -
What people use magic, it shouldn't not always be a hit. The enemy should not die to you casting three spells and it all being an insta hit, unless you are one of the teachers at the magic class (Which you are a skilled caster then), There should be certain levels of magic: Novice (Which takes about 2 casts to get a hit), Apprentice (Takes one or more casts at a higher magic spell), Master (Which takes about 1 cast extra to get a hit) and Ultra (Which the teachers at the magic class should have, its instant but doesn't do a lot of damage). People should have a way to level up their level magic (At the magic class probably)

Tip #3: Making up names for spells -
Making up names for spells, yes. They make up fancy names for spells and think of a good hit about it, but it should stay at fireball, frostbite etc and have a non-good hit ability, like freezing.
It should be a non-crit spell/ability and should be recognizable.

Tip #4: You are not invincible -
The use of magic should and would not make you invincible, even though you have magic, you are still a normal elf/human/merfolk/vyre/dwarf/furry. It doesn't make you immuun to death or certain attacks.

Tip #5: Energy -
People think that their character has unlimited energy, mana and power, which they actually don't have. After awhile, your character becomes tired and a channeling spell becomes weaker. Keep in mind that the more tired you are from casting spells, the more it will fail and less you can cast.

(Give tips below so I can put them in the thread,

- Qri )

Hilter

Legend of Altera
I agree with the general premise of having rules for magic, but I don't understand what you are trying to do with the Hit or Fail section. extra casts to get a hit? I don't understand.

I agree with the general premise of having rules for magic, but I don't understand what you are trying to do with the Hit or Fail section. extra casts to get a hit? I don't understand.
When you see rpg, you see that sometimes it doesn't hit and just misses, people use magic like it always hits, it doesn't and sometimes it fails/misses.

Spiro

Hollows Explorer
Its very hard to decide if you hit or fail since minecraft doesnt have any dices.
On the other hand I agree we should have a magic guide and I also think we should put up a list of available spells
and what rank you need to cast them, a list that I would ofcourse be ready to assist with.

ZaneCelmer

Hollows Explorer
This is what we wish to teach at the university.
Too many feel that they can just fling spells.. Its annoying.

This rp that is like "slams head knocking them out" or "strikes with lightning" are completely op, and to be quite honest, stupid..

To rp with magic, you give the other person control.. "shoots lightning" instead of "strikes", it opens up more possibilities..

And yes, its annoying when apprentice students think they can best me in a fight, come on now.. What kind of world would this be? :/

Its very hard to decide if you hit or fail since minecraft doesnt have any dices.
On the other hand I agree we should have a magic guide and I also think we should put up a list of available spells
and what rank you need to cast them, a list that I would ofcourse be ready to assist with.
People should just say *Tries to shoot lightning* *Lightning fails* or something, Magic should be used wisely not hitting everyone and being on godmode.

Eric V

Legend of Altera
Another server i saw actually had a magic mod implemented, you only got so many point to buy magical spells (say like 6 points and fireball costs 2) and then you used your experience as mana, and because of the "point value" of each spell it stopped someone from having all the spells and being over-powered, they could choose to have the high level spell that cost all their points but then they would have nothing else, or they could buy several weaker spells, and you also had the option of forgetting a spell and getting your points back. It was an interesting system.

ZaneCelmer

Hollows Explorer
Yes, but you try telling someone who is egotistical that they arent the best and coolest in the world.. Its impossible..

Plus, Eric, go back a ways in general discussion and look at the post I put for a magical spell plugin. Look at the love people have towards a plugin. :/

Hilter

Legend of Altera
Qri I understood that magic shouldn't always hit, but I was asking about the specifics which you suggested. I did not understand them.
People should just say *Tries to shoot lightning* *Lightning fails* or something, Magic should be used wisely not hitting everyone and being on godmode.
^ That, however, is exactly the correct way to resolve it.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
We were looking at a magic plugin, but Ducati encountered some IRL problems and he was the main one working on it. Whether we are still going to use it or not is beyond me.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
As part of cast time, I read a couple of books that involve shield casting times. The times of casting such tend to be exceptionally long and involve the use of more then one spell. I think the only reason that doesn't apply in RTS games is because it's time taking and people want to play the game. However, I think that a shield that withstands more than 3 hits with a normal sword should take a little longer to create. Around, let's say, 5 minutes.

ZaneCelmer

Hollows Explorer
We were looking at a magic plugin, but Ducati encountered some IRL problems and he was the main one working on it. Whether we are still going to use it or not is beyond me.
Yes, I heard this as well.. I heard the main problem with adding one is they are mostly op, and they are challenging to update with the server.

You guys couldnt find one that fit within Altera, which I totally understand. I dont want some psycho spell plugin thats going to make Wizards invincible. Thats just not fun.

Bellon the Wise

Survivor of Five Rivers
Hello all. Yes we are working on MAGIC as we speak. Although it may not seem like it, (because I am always doing tricks and things.) I really believe the magic should be more about talking and gathering knowledge then spell hurling and fighting.

With all of these Lore changes we are working on making something that is cohesive and fun for the player base.

Thank you for stepping up Qri.

Hilter

Legend of Altera
Hello all. Yes we are working on MAGIC as we speak. Although it may not seem like it, (because I am always doing tricks and things.) I really believe the magic should be more about talking and gathering knowledge then spell hurling and fighting.

With all of these Lore changes we are working on making something that is cohesive and fun for the player base.

Thank you for stepping up Qri.
Magic about talking? What do you mean?