Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

A point on wearing plate armor

Goldengem25

The Kingdom Crusher
Engem are the biggest Kuul industrial power on Altera (disregarding Dwarves). Legitimate, too. They invest in advanced forges and actively pursue techniques and research (check @thatguy090 ); plus a strong connection to the Dwarves and Lonmar :p

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
Engem are the biggest human industrial power on Altera. Legitimate, too. They invest in advanced forges and actively pursue techniques and research (check @thatguy090 ); plus a strong connection to the Dwarves and Lonmar :p
You like(d) Arcturus, you like Marr, you trade with the Dwarves and Lonmar... which civilization was it that you hated again?
But yeah, fair enough.

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
I'm loving this thread so far, so informative!

I imagine you would drown before you could get out of the water/get the suit off.

Considering the fact that the Engems live in huts, wouldn't it be fair to assume their forge wouldn't be all that advanced? I know its a special forge and all, but still... Is there a thread on it?
I imagine the Engems would have very crude weaponry, really... nothing smancy.

As far as I can tell, bodkin arrows weren't actually that effective, they'd just bounce off. Of course, any kind of arrow going through the unprotected joints/eye-slit would probably be fatal... but that would require some damn fine accuracy.

That makes no sense. You don't gain weight from being moved... that would require moving closer to the speed of light, which is waaay out of our reach at this point.

Of course, spinning an object will give it force. A straight pole being spun from a central point must have different accelerations at different points in order to keep straight. The further out the section of the pole is, the greater its acceleration and hence momentum.
Imagine a person spinning while holding out a warhammer. Their hands will not be spinning that fast, but the head of the hammer will be, hence why it would do more damage than the hilt. I'm guessing this is what you were trying to refer to?

Overall great thread, I love it! *stalks*
I was stating it impairs you much more than being soaked in clothing

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
I'm loving this thread so far, so informative!

I imagine you would drown before you could get out of the water/get the suit off.

Considering the fact that the Engems live in huts, wouldn't it be fair to assume their forge wouldn't be all that advanced? I know its a special forge and all, but still... Is there a thread on it?
I imagine the Engems would have very crude weaponry, really... nothing smancy.

As far as I can tell, bodkin arrows weren't actually that effective, they'd just bounce off. Of course, any kind of arrow going through the unprotected joints/eye-slit would probably be fatal... but that would require some damn fine accuracy.

That makes no sense. You don't gain weight from being moved... that would require moving closer to the speed of light, which is waaay out of our reach at this point.

Of course, spinning an object will give it force. A straight pole being spun from a central point must have different accelerations at different points in order to keep straight. The further out the section of the pole is, the greater its acceleration and hence momentum.
Imagine a person spinning while holding out a warhammer. Their hands will not be spinning that fast, but the head of the hammer will be, hence why it would do more damage than the hilt. I'm guessing this is what you were trying to refer to?

Overall great thread, I love it! *stalks*
There is a reason I put it under ' ' ;).
But yeah basically that if you swing stuff at the right speed it will get the force of something weighting much more, or actually gain weight during its fall - was something like that. Its math and IUDEX NON CALCULAT :p. Thats also why I tagged legion for a proper explanation :p

Angryboy

There is a reason I put it under ' ' ;).
But yeah basically that if you swing stuff at the right speed it will get the force of something weighting much more, or actually gain weight during its fall - was something like that. Its math and IUDEX NON CALCULAT :p. Thats also why I tagged legion for a proper explanation :p
Mass is the numerical value of all the baryons within an object, if you wanted a proper explanation.
Weight is just the force produced when an object pulls against another. Weight is basically gravity * mass in that sense.
So no, weight doesn't actually change when an object is moved. That would require either gravity or the object's mass to change...

What you're thinking of is a different force being imparted on the weapon as you swing it. Weight isn't changed, but you're applying a force outwards/sideways when you swing it which gives it momentum.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Engem are the biggest Kuul industrial power on Altera (disregarding Dwarves). Legitimate, too. They invest in advanced forges and actively pursue techniques and research (check @thatguy090 ); plus a strong connection to the Dwarves and Lonmar :p
Y'know, since the Engem aren't an Anarchy they're a civilization. You have burial rites, technology, agriculture, a social hierarchy...

Goldengem25

The Kingdom Crusher
Y'know, since the Engem aren't an Anarchy they're a civilization. You have burial rites, technology, agriculture, a social hierarchy...
Yap. Their definition of Civilization is stated to be different from a dictionary's definition of civilization, it's why I tend to capitalize it when I use it in the Engem way. Civilization to the Engem is pretty much a GoT power grab style of feudalism which has caused a stagnating technological climate with an inevitable poverty stricken downward decline in terms of sociology. It's based off the mentality communists had with capitalism :p

Angryboy

Civilization to the Engem is pretty much a GoT power grab style of feudalism
Okay again which civilization is this referring to? Because you don't seem to have a problem with any House it seems. You've certainly been friendly with the biggest and baddest.

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
It is possible to put a sword through a chest plate, but you need to use both hands and get a small charge up (1 step with blade over your head and strike down) but it goes /just/ deep enough to at least cut/nick the heart, oh and your sword is gonna be stuck in there for a bit

The Living Ghost

Thing One
Retired Staff
@The Living Ghost
This. I wish very much to emphasize this. At the last Korog summoning, it took the better part of two hours for four adept+ smiths to RP out a single tower shield. This included cutting corners in the interest of haste. Kindly, kindly consider the effort that goes in to proper smithing work before giving yer character full plate in the backstory.
Some say the dwarf and homunculi dream team are still there, hammering out spoons because somebody has to~

Gregor

Lord of Altera
It is possible to put a sword through a chest plate, but you need to use both hands and get a small charge up (1 step with blade over your head and strike down) but it goes /just/ deep enough to at least cut/nick the heart, oh and your sword is gonna be stuck in there for a bit
I am afraid this is not true.