Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Children's Books For Grown-Ups

Yoda

Lord of Altera
I wasn't really sure what to name this thread, so I've used a fairly basic title. Sorry. Then again, it's pretty much what the thread's regarding, so no worries there.

Have you read any children's books recently? Those seemingly aimed towards the younger, but with themes only the older can understand? For example; Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

From afar, this seems like a story about a little girl who goes on a magical adventure (and meets a rather handsome cat) . I've read it recently, and I've found that the themes involved are much more than mentioned or supposed.

When Alice is continuously changing size, she becomes distressed. Why is that? One may think it is involved with the changes undergone in puberty.

That's an example.

Have you read any children's book's recently and noticed themes invisible to the eye of the young and innocent?

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
So tempted to paste in an essay I wrote last year on children's literature throughout history...
Huehuehuehue.

Minty

Lord of Altera
AshenWanderer
AshenWanderer
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein was always a favorite as a child though reading it back years later in high school I saw things I most certainly didn't as a little elementary student~

Tarron

Lord of Altera
I don't really know if it counts as a Children's Book, but 'The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is a good one.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
That's the kind of thing I'm looking for! Re-reading a book you read as a child and noticing things you would not have when you were younger.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
It's not a book, but Spongebob Squarepants has some very interesting things that I missed out.

Pirapple

Lord of Altera
Agh... what's it called....

Old Yeller, first book that made me cry.

I reread it last week... I missed so much...

Deathmoron

Lord of Altera
I first read the title and thought: Yes! Edward Gorey books!
But I see something better~!

To subject:
Beauty and the Beast, I re-read this little book because I got to Puerto Rico, and wanted to remember those time I used to live there. Though, reading at the part that it says Gastron pushed Belle against the wall, my first thought was harassment! Only because my mind was in the gutter, but still it fits, right?

gamemonster55

Lord of Altera
Yes I have noticed this quite a lot. I have noticed stuff that a parent would never want their child to know in books I read as a child.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Now we're going into what Faelin wrote in her essay about stories being designed to scare children into doing or not doing things.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Now we're going into what Faelin wrote in her essay about stories being designed to scare children into doing or not doing things.
Huehuehuehuehuehuehuehue.
Reading my past essays amuses me; my writing style has evolved since then.