Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Forest's scrapyard. (Nudity may be present)

What would you like to see most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fhamersley

Lord of Altera
Foresty, this is gorgeous! I love the hair and goggles and clothes on the brown one and that hood and those heads are amazing! poifect outline right there.
So that this post isn't just my usual drooling, I've got suggestions for your arm anatomy! Please probe your own arm appropriately as you read this.

Firstly, it looks like that the arm on the brown one (I've assumed it is a male) hasn't been set out right during sketch and this has come through during final. There is an extra joint under the shoulder where there should be none. I've highlighted the sketch ovals here:
1.jpg
This seems like a minor issue because the sleeve sorta hides it, but it's always good to learn :D The arm looks more natural like this:
New Canvas2.jpg
Hopefully you can see that the first oval is straight, with no joints (although the bones do have a slight curve in their shape and the upper arm is not flat or thin, as there is a lot of sinew, muscle and fat on the upper arm. I'll be calling it the 'upper arm bone' for simplicity). Lots of people draw the shoulder as a separate ball from the upper arm:
gerp.jpg
However, I think this is unhelpful. It leads to elongated upper arm bones and magical tentacle-looking arms. The shoulder is a ball and socket joint and the ball is a part of the upper arm bone. The socket is in the torso. The whole joint is protected in the front by flesh, and from the back by the shoulder blade.
Furthermore, there is a large muscle covering the outside of the upper half of the upper arm, which has a definite shape. Feel it now.
For these side-on drawings, you can see the bulbous shape of the shoulder area of the upper arm bone. Including this shape in the upper arm oval makes for healthy anatomy.
The elbow is a tough one. The pointy bit is a part of your forearm, while the two round bulbs on either side are a part of the upper arm bone. The elbow is not symmetrical and the bulbs do not quite line up with each other. Fold your arm so your hand is on your shoulder and rotate your arm, looking down to your elbow. Try and get a feel for the way the flesh squishes together and how the bones fit under the flesh. Twist your hand around and see how the muscle changes and the two separate bones (the radius and the ulna) twist around each other. Try and feel the two separate bones.
Next is the forearm, which is also definitely not flat and has a gentle taper from the round, fleshy upper half to the flatter, bony lower half. Because the thumb and hand do not start directly from the forearm stub, I put a small sideways oval between the hand oval and the forearm oval, this is the wrist. Many people put a circle here but the wrist actually has a slight outward curve, not inward. It's a little hard to see here:
photo(1).JPG
Finally, the hand! The hand is actually a lot bigger and thicker than you may think. Lots of tendons and bones in there. Hands are notoriously troublesome to draw but thankfully you can look at your own hands for inspiration! Practice makes perfect. Do 60 seconds drawing challenges to practice the hand: get your hand in a pose and angle and draw it in a minute! It doesn't need to be perfect, just an impression of the hand. It's a good way to learn and grow comfortable with drawing human hands.

Can't wait to see what you draw next and I really hope this helped! (I didn't use technical anatomical terms for this post because they're not generally used and are slightly confusing).