Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Holy S*it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryg

Real life redstone crafter
The plan is to build a fresh server API, and then extend it to support client-side modding (in one way or another). We will try to make it easy for bukkit users to convert if they wish to do so, but backwards compatibility is not guaranteed. We will, however, help bukkit to be compatible with 1.2, to avoid having a long gap while you wait for the official Minecraft server to catch up.
Am I the only one with great concerns and find this rather strange?
  1. What happens to Bukkit? From the messages I see it will mean Bukkit is dead after 1.2.
  2. "Help make Bukkit compatible with 1.2"? Another message that says Bukkit is dead.
  3. What are our options when 1.3 comes out? Do we have to use the official MC server software? Will it be in the same shape as Bukkit is right now? Or are we going through the Alpha, Beta, Release stage again?!
  4. How much will change with the new api? How many plugin developers will update to the new server api? Will it work the "same" as Bukkit or do developers need to learn a whole new api again!?
  5. I've probably have more concerns but won't bother you all with them...
It is of course a great opportunity for the Bukkit guys, and if I get the question from Mojang if I want to be part of their team I would never say no :) (Yoohooo Jeb! Yoooow Notch. Check my videos dudes!)
But as always with Bukkit the communication is so bad! So many questions and no answers... Will go and look through the interwebs to check if any of my concerns are just.

Steelcryo

King of the north!
Am I the only one with great concerns and find this rather strange?
  1. What happens to Bukkit? From the messages I see it will mean Bukkit is dead after 1.2.
  2. "Help make Bukkit compatible with 1.2"? Another message that says Bukkit is dead.
  3. What are our options when 1.3 comes out? Do we have to use the official MC server software? Will it be in the same shape as Bukkit is right now? Or are we going through the Alpha, Beta, Release stage again?!
  4. How much will change with the new api? How many plugin developers will update to the new server api? Will it work the "same" as Bukkit or do developers need to learn a whole new api again!?
  5. I've probably have more concerns but won't bother you all with them...
It is of course a great opportunity for the Bukkit guys, and if I get the question from Mojang if I want to be part of their team I would never say no :)(Yoohooo Jeb! Yoooow Notch. Check my videos dudes!)

But as always with Bukkit the communication is so bad! So many questions and no answers... Will go and look through the interwebs to check if any of my concerns are just.
1. Bukkit will die after 1.2 but the api will take over and even though they say brand new, it will probably be the next evolution of bukkit. There's too much work and progress right there for them to use to warrant starting completely from scratch.

2. Same answer as number 1.

3. We will most likely be using the new API for 1.3 but as they said they are working on it now and will be working on it as soon as bukkit is updated to 1.2 it should be ready for 1.3 release and they will most likely put out alpha and beta builds for modders to start converting them mods with.

4. It will be the same 4 that have been working on bukkit and as far as I am concerned they do a great job. Hopefully now they are officially a part of Mojang now the actual minecraft builds will be more focused around the API if not coded in direct link with the API meaning each new release for minecraft should instantly come with an updated API meaning no wait between updating MC and the server.

5. Bring them on :p

But wait, what about the bukkit plugins we're using right now?
Like I said we will most likely lose some of them but hopefully the ones that are still supported as of right now will be updated for the new API and we can keep them. Frankly we can afford to drop a lot of the ones we have without too much hastle there are just some (Such as towny) that we really need.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
1. Bukkit will die after 1.2 but the api will take over and even though they say brand new, it will probably be the next evolution of bukkit. There's too much work and progress right there for them to use to warrant starting completely from scratch.

2. Same answer as number 1.

3. We will most likely be using the new API for 1.3 but as they said they are working on it now and will be working on it as soon as bukkit is updated to 1.2 it should be ready for 1.3 release and they will most likely put out alpha and beta builds for modders to start converting them mods with.

4. It will be the same 4 that have been working on bukkit and as far as I am concerned they do a great job. Hopefully now they are officially a part of Mojang now the actual minecraft builds will be more focused around the API if not coded in direct link with the API meaning each new release for minecraft should instantly come with an updated API meaning no wait between updating MC and the server.

5. Bring them on :p

Like I said we will most likely lose some of them but hopefully the ones that are still supported as of right now will be updated for the new API and we can keep them. Frankly we can afford to drop a lot of the ones we have without too much hastle there are just some (Such as towny) that we really need.
So we might lose towny and voxel?

S

Stevey

We might lose certain plugins, but in the long run it will be the best for minecraft and the server. We will just have to learn to make do like we always have.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
I might have to code some mods now -.- I can save the towny codes, and continue it, if they dont themself

madyson0915

Lord of Altera
I have a question about spoutcraft. After 1.3, will there be any need for the app, or even the server plugin? Or will it just be incorporated into the normal minecraft? Or do the developers have to consent to recoding for the normal minecraft and trash the old work?

Status
Not open for further replies.