Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

In the Dark....A Story of Corvus Dedamus

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Chapter 1: The Fallen One

Somewhere in Heavens Reach

When did I sink so low? What have I every done to anyone to deserve this? My life is nothing but pain and despair......and he told me the mark meant Fated One? Fated to do what, suffer? I hate him...I hate them all.

Corvus brooded moodily for a few minutes before lifting up his bottle. The last dregs of an unattractive brown liquid swirled at the bottom of the dirty bottle. Corvus coughed and upended the bottle, drinking the last of the ale. Throwing the empty bottle away with a tinkle of breaking glass, Corvus painfully arose from his seated position and began to hobble down the harbor street. What few people he passed avoided him, looking at him fearfully like he carried the plague. Corvus smiled a twisted smile at them, then stumbled into a tavern. All conversation stopped when he entered, the people in the inn shocked by what they saw. A ragged man, unkempt and haggard, eyes red as if he hadn't slept in days, skin drawn tight across his bones. His clothes were torn in many places, and he exuded a strong scent of alcohol...but none of these things were what frightened the inn people. All over the mans body, marks covered his skin, from his arms to around his eyes, the marks hissed and bubbled like nefarious beasts....all present could see a curse when they saw one. They feared this man, from the strange marks to the slight purple glint in his eyes. Corvus shambled over to the bar and looked at the innkeeper, smiling a strange grin.

"So.....what do I have to do to get a drink around here?"

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
I like it!!! More please!!! *bounces up and down in happy anticipation*

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Chapter 2: The Visitation

It was night in Heavens Reach as Corvus Dedamus sat on top of the bridge. Leaning his head against the moss-covered side, he stared out at the city. Narrowing his eyes, Corvus could see a few sailors walk out of a bar jostling one another playfully, then travelling down to a ship in the harbor. Sighing heavily, he reached to the ever-present bottle at his side and took a deep swig, grimacing at the flavor.

I wonder if I'd die if I jumped off of this bridge. It sure does sound attractive right now. Just end all of the pain and the fear and te confusion about what the nether is happening to me. Maybe Jax will be nice to me in the afterlife.

Corvus levered himself onto his feet, and stared down at the water. Dangling a foot over, one of his shoes fell off.

"CORVUS!"

Turning, Corvus found himself face to face with an appalled looking Mori and Arcone. They were travel worn, their face carved with worry lines...but at the moment, fear and disgust was more on their faces. After a moment gaining his composure, Mori spoke.

"Corvus....we've been looking for you for 3 months! After you just ran away the night after the Jester incident..."

Corvus sighed and came away from the edge, f a little grudgingly. Even drunk and in terrible pain, he still liked to hold a conversation.

"Yes, I know....it all happened so fast. I got my second mark during the night, about four hours after Ari left....that's when the pain began. It was then I knew we hadn't gotten rid of this thing....it just won't die Mori, it CAN'T die....I knew people in town already feared I would infect them too, and they're probably right...I should just kill myself and end this....do you all a favor."

Corvus took another deep drink from the bottle, while Arcone coughed and exchanged a look with Mori. Arcone walked forward slightly and sniffed.

"You smell like bad liquor...a lot of bad liquor. What is that you're drinking?"

Corvus frowned at the bottle, looking at it from a few different angles.

"Frankly....I have no idea."

Corvus began to chuckle, which turned into a gurgle and then a hacking cough. He spat up some blood then leaned his head back against the wall.

"So....now that you found me....still think I was worth it?"

Mori looked startled by the statement, then withdrew a blanket from his pack and placed it around Corvus's shoulders.

"Of course you're worth it...you're family. Now come on....Arcone and I will take you back to Tauredal and we can have Ari take another look at you...he'll know what to do, right Arcone?"

Behind Corvus, Arcone had a dark look on his face, for he knew that what was wrong with Corvus would likely result in his death.

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Chapter 3: Basil

Corvus swayed in the seat of his chair unsteadily before reaching out a hand to grab the bar in front of him. Grimacing and shaking his head, he gazed down at the long line of empty bottles on the bar and smiled mirthlessly.

I think I'm likely to drink Tauredal dry before the night is at an end....at least it blunts the pain of the marks somewhat. I wonder where Mori is, I haven't seen him for a while.

Corvus's thought's were interuppted by a man walking through through the door. Casting a wandering eye upon the newcomer, Corvus sized him up. A slim man, with black hair and red eyes. An air of contempt and even evil permeated the air around him. Surveying the room, he spotted Corvus and sat down beside him. He raised his eyebrow at Corvus's condition and poured himself a drink.

"Did you get attacked by bandits or are you just another peasant scum Tantara welcomes into this town? Basil Brush doesn't like filthy peasants drinking all his ale."

Corvus smiled twistedly, then painfully withdrew the Saeradan crest from his tunic.

"I'm Corvus Dedamus, a Saeradan..."

Basil looked a little bit startled by that statement, then regained his composure and tried to look disinterested. However, Corvus could see that he suddenly seemed fiercely intent on the conversation.

"Well...I may not have been here for very long, but I have heard that name bouncing around the walls quite often....I heard you were dead.....some demon sickness or what. Not that I really care. Other people's problems are not my problems, to be sure."

Corvus giggled a little at that, then lay a hand on Basil's. Tightening his knuckles, he let Basil see the steaming purple marks covering his arms, then he looked into his eyes. Demented red eyes met pain-crazed purple eyes, locked in a battle of the wills. Basil tried to hold the gaze but looked away. Corvus snorted, then removed his hand.

"Oh I assure you, Basil.....my problems are very much your problems as well. I smell the scent of demon about you. I also smell that you are doing little to fight it. Take a good long look at me Basil...I'm your future."

Turning, Corvus hobbled out of the door, coughing up some black tar on the way out, then fading away into the distance, leaving the scent of burned flesh and bad ale in his wake. Basil just stared at the door for a minute, then shook himself, perhaps trying to rid his mind of the image it had just seen.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
"Did you get attacked by bandits or are you just another peasant scum Tantara welcomes into this town? Basil Brush doesn't like filthy peasants drinking all his ale."
Alas! The curse of the Tangerine is upon us!!

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
I haven't the foggiest idea... *casts a suspicious glance at a certain Dwarven General*

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
*grins* I know, I know. I like messing with people. Anywho, I'll put up another post tonight if I feel like it.

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Chapter 4: At the Camp

This is the second time I've run away from Tauredal....kind of useless to bring me back. But Ari hadn't arrived in the three weeks I was there, Mori has gone missing, and that bastard son of his was making life difficult for me...well, more difficult than it is already.

Corvus hacked again, the ground in front of him already slightly pink from the blood coming from his mouth. He shivered and withdrew further into his coat.

Why did I have to pick an army camp outside Skara Brae to get a drink at? I'm freezing to death.....maybe just a little flame...it couldn't hurt.

Reaching out his hand, Corvus concentrated. His fingers began to steam as the purple marks flashed and grew in intensity. Grimacing, he flexed his fingers as a purple spark sprung to life in his palm.

"Excuse me....who are you?"

Looking up, Corvus saw a newcomer with sad, blue eyes and a worried expression. He snapped off the flame in his hand suddenly, then screamed as a backwash of demonic energy washed over him. He could feel the marks eat away at his skin for not giving into temptation to use their power....their rage at his strength. They steamed and hissed for a few minutes before Corvus regained awareness of his surroundings. He was laying on a bed in a tent across from where the bar tent was. The newcomer he had seen before was there, as well as a Caparii and an attractive looking woman. Groaning, he tried to sit up, only to begin coughing violently. He leaned over on the bed, and caught his breath, then turned to the man with the sad blue eyes.

"Water...please."

The stranger nodded, then turned to the Caparii and murmured a few words. The goat man left, and came back shortly with a bowl. Handing it to Corvus, he took a deep drink, then lay back on the bed.

"...I'm sorry...I don't believe we've been properly introduced...I'm Corvus Dedamus."

The people in the room exchanged glances, then the one with the blue eyes spoke.

"We have heard of that name.....but more on that later. I am Wyvern....the Caparii is Stronghoof, and the girl is Duckie....we were just sitting around the bar talking to one another when we noticed you coughing up blood, and the strange marks on your hands....we thought it best to check you weren't going to turn into a lich and start killing people."

Corvus chuckled painfully, then took another deep drink of water.

"Does that really happen?"

"More often than you think."

Corvus grunted, then stared outside the tent flap, where snow was falling lightly. Hearing a cough, he turned back to find the girl, Duckie, staring at him.

"Not to be rude but, you still haven't told us what you're doing here and why. We've heard rumors but....we'd like to hear the full story. We might be able to find help for your....condition."

Corvus groaned, then leaned back against the bed.

"I'm going to need some more water....and ale. A lot of ale."

Wyvern nodded, and the three adventurers leaned in as Corvus told his tale.

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Chapter 5: A Solution

Corvus rested his head back against the straw pillow, exhausted, his story finally finished. The tent was totally silent for a few moments, before Wyvern coughed and stood up.

"Well....that was quite a tale, if I do say so myself. You have been through much, Corvus Dedamus, and I hope you go through no more. I have some previous experience in such matters, though I am no exorcist. Perhaps I might know a few people who could help."

Corvus just sighed and shook his head slightly.

"Help do what? Several have tried to cure me and failed. At this point I would welcome death."

Duckie looked horrified by the statement and crossed her arms defiantly.

"Listen here you half-brained oaf, the last thing that I'm going to let happen is you kill yourself, ok? We are going to find a cure, so you can forget all this feeling sorry for yourself Corvus.....you're going to live, or I'LL be the one that kills you."

Corvus chuckled a bit at that, then grew serious once again.

"It's nice to know that total strangers have my best interests at mind...if I didn't know better, I'd say you were attracted to me."

Duckie's face positively lit on fire with that statement, looking like she was ready to unload serious smack down on Corvus. The Caparii backed away a little and spoke.

"Duckie....if we can focus on curing him, you can smack him around later."

She calmed down a little, and the four of them sat down to wrack their brains for a solution.

"Now, you said that the marks were something Ari had never seen before....is that significant?"

Wyvern stroked his chin in deep thought.

"Perhaps. Ari is quite accoplished in the demonological field. We might be dealing with a whole new strain of demon then...."

Corvus nodded, then paused as cogs began to whirl in his head. Eyes lighting up, he sat up straighter.

"Wait...wait. Something my uncle once told me. One thing that is hard to cure about demonic curses is that the script they are written in is centuries old, fortified in years of dark magic...but....a brand new demon language has little boandaries. So..."

"So we can rewrite the curse and cure you!", Duckie exclaimed.

"Yes.....but I don't know of a wizard powerful enough to do it."

Wyvern coughed, looking as if he was getting something unpleasant out of his throat. Six eyes turned to him in question.

"There is one wizard who could cure you. He is Bellon Lightbringer, the Archmage....Lord of Uthrandir."

Corvus nodded his head slowly, then turned to Stronghoof.

"Any chance I could get a crutch or something?"

The Caparii nodded and left. Corvus rested his head back on the bed. And Duckie casted worried eyes on Wyvern, who was lost in dark thought about his past....

Trouble Kelp

Loyal Servant of Altera
Chapter 6: Arrival

"There it is."

Duckie squinted her eyes as she gazed into the blizzard. Stone walls rose before her, draped in ice, and behind them was a vast tower. The whole scene seemed lost in the snow storm, flickering like a ghost. Wyvern nodded and turned to Duckie.

"Uthrandir.....city of wizards. It's been a long journey to get here. Go back and check on Corvus, the last I heard he was doing pretty bad."

Duckie nodded and wheeled her horse, galloping to the rear of their small procession. About 30 feet behind Wyvern, a small covered wagon creaked along, driven by Stronghoof. Duckie jumped off her horse, stomped her boots, and hopped into the wagon. Inside, Corvus was laying on a straw mat. His skin had become grey, and dozens more marks had appeared on his body. His lids remains half closed in feverish sleep, and he seemed to be murmuring nonsense words under his breath. Duckie shook him a little to wake him up, then told him the news.

"Hey...we're here. "

Corvus just looked at her sadly, then nodded a little and sank back into his stupor. Duckie's face saddened, then she jumped out and rode her horse back up to Wyvern.

"How is he?"

Duckie shook her head.

"He's getting worse....he won't even talk anymore. The curse is sapping his strength."

Wyvern nodded once, then snapped the reins of the horse he was riding, spurring it to a trot. The two riders and wagon came up to the gates of Uthrandir within a few minutes and stopped.

"Hail the wall!"

No one answered for a long time. Duckie looked at Wyvern and back up at the wall, a worried look on her face.

"What if no one is on duty?"

"Hello down there! State your business!"

Wyvern looked up and saw a guardman. Spurring his horse, he rode closer to the wall.

"I have a very sick young man in the wagon back there. We have traveled all the way from Skara Brae to get here, so as to cure to demonic curse that holds his life in check."

The guardsman called down again.

"Lord Bellon has forbidden any more demon infected peoples from entering the city....they kill the students. I'm sorry, we can't help you."

Wyvern exhaled noisily through his nose, his face looking like he was about to say something very unpleasant.

"Listen.....go find Professor Madyson. Tell her Wyvern is outside and wants to see her."

The guardsman nodded and left. Ten minutes later, the gates opened, and the riders rode into Uthrandir. And in front of them in the middle of the path, stood a woman in white robes with a furious expression on her face.