Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Fan-Fic [interactive comic-book] Dwarves

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
[LINK TO FINISHED PRODUCT: http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/the-eyes-of-the-king.40370/ ]

I felt like writing a comic-book. I was afraid that writing it on my own and just showing it to my closest friends would not give me enough drive to continue drawing till it's finished. It's an amazing gift to have HollowWorld. HollowWorld is a community of people who I have known to give constructive feedback and to support artistic endeavors. For that reason and with no further delay, I'd like to present the first page of my comic-book.

I intend to draw one page at a time and give the reader (you) a chance to help me mold the story. At the end of each page, I give you a set of possible outcomes for the start of the new page. Through choosing an option and replying that option in this thread, you will cast your vote on what has to happen. I will count the votes and the option with the highest amount of votes will happen.

comic01c.jpg
comic02c.jpg
comic03c.jpg
comic04c.jpg
comic05c.jpg
comic06c.jpg
comic06c.jpg
comic08c.jpg
comic09c.jpg
comic10.jpg
[1/5. 10 images uploaded, time to head to the next post]

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
[4/5] either to post more pages or to make some kind of change-log perhaps.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Comic-book diary, keeping up with thoughts.
02-11-2016
  • Started the first page. I feel like I can continue this without getting bored of it for a while. I'm glad I found a topic for my comic-book. I stayed close to what I like: Dwarves. Since I've roleplayed with Dwarves for several years, I feel like I can easily think of characters and their personalities. Should work on them en-profil dwarven faces, they're way too pointy now xD
03-11-2016
  • Continued the comic book according to the voting. The story starts to develop, but in the back of my mind I've got a voice telling me to first flesh out the characters more. Bardur's been send to jail, but the reader didn't really know Bardur that well, so they will probably not feel anything for the fact that he was sent to jail. I've given two options for the next page, which both will give the reader more insight on a character. This time, I focussed a bit more on en-profil drawing of the faces. Not there yet, but it's getting better at least.
04-11-2016
  • I've got more and more ideas for where the story is heading. Including civil and social problems in the real world that I'd like to apply to the world of the Dwarves. Those who are aware of what is going on in our world might notice similarities in the story. I liked fleshing out the king more and showing what he struggles with. I got the tip from my dad to increase the readability of my handwriting xD So now the side-texts are in caps too, for your convenience. (also updated the pictures to a more sharpened picture)
05-11-2016
  • The support for my comic increased a lot! In four days time I went from 2 voters to 12. This really feels good. It's something that'll keep me going, which will help me to continue drawing and finish this project in the future! I found a good spot for a portrait-like picture in the comic, which I definitely enjoyed drawing. I'm starting to get anxious to find out what happens next myself! :)
    I find it remarkable to see that I'm still drawing the same room after 4 pages. I'm sure at this rate I'll have a proper amount of pages once I'm done.
06-11-2016
  • Today I didn't draw. I had a lot of fun at my girlfriend's birthday instead. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D Anyway, the votes seem to tend towards one of the two options. I've already got amazing ideas for that page, which I'll draw tomorrow. A little hint: I'll be citing some of the comments of people at the votes within the comic tomorrow :) Some of them were too Dwarven and funny not to use! Looking forward to drawing it.
07-11-2016
  • The more I draw, the more possibilities I see to draw out scenes. Today I experimented with a view from afar, a close-up, and a view through someone's eyes. I noticed a little less enthusiasm before I started drawing, which is definitely due to not having drawn a page yesterday. Note to self: Don't skip drawing!
08-11-2016
  • I'm not entirely satisfied with today's page. I've found that it's okay to have a big image to start with, but not to end with, because then the attention to the first smaller images is lost somewhat. There should at least be 2 or more images following up after the big image.
    I've taken a look at the pages I have so far, by holding them in my hands. I noticed that I skip quite rapidly/rigorously from subject to subject. To counter this, I want to include an extra page before today's page, which will show the Dwarves going through the tunnels. I imagine I can use this page to elaborate on something through text as well.
    I'm having trouble with keeping a slow pace and making sure everything is understandable to the audience. I've got a legion of ideas in my head that I want to work out, but those are all in the far future of the story. Because I'm eager to work them out and draw them, I'm afraid the parts that I'm working on currently will suffer from it. So I have to STAY RELAXED. This is hard for me xD Distracted too fast!
10-11-2016
  • Drew the seventh page, which is page number 6! Let's keep it confusing lol. I found out that I will not be able to keep up with myself if I continue producing at the rate which I intended to do at the start of this project: 1 page a day. I've convinced myself that I will remain having a focus on this project, even if I don't keep working on it every day. So I'll continue drawing, just not as much as I used to.
    Coming pretty close to that 10 pages mark there! I hope to have covered most of the background on 'the undead' by that time and I hope that something else (not gonna say what, cause that'd be spoiling) will have happened by that time too, but I can't know for certain.
    Also seen a decline in votes, from 12 to 5. Let's hope it comes and goes in waves, and that the number of votes won't bleed out to a few or none!
12-11-2016
  • I had a heap of trouble to draw that perspective in the center of the page, as you can see by that awkward hand pointing at the group of Dwarves xD. I'm glad I'm not forcing myself to draw every day anymore. These pages normally take up about 2 hours of my time. The tale is now thoroughly set and ready to be expanded upon! :) Still enjoying myself!
15-11-2016
  • Enjoyed drawing those three eyes separately, but in my mind it always looks better than what I draw. One day... One day I'll be able to draw the way I view it in my mind! On another note. My pen decided to quit after these 8 pages, so I had to work with another pen. I can tell you, the pen determines for a part the drawing style. My my... I noticed quite a difference and had to get used to this new pen! I'm approaching the 10 pages milestone, wooooo!
23-11-2016
  • It's been just over a week since the last page. I notice I'm drawing much less, indeed. Yet, I have faith that I will see this project through. The last bit of november is a busy time for Dutch people with celebrations in early December. I imagine the comic book will go on hold for a few weeks till these celebrations are over. After that, I'm sure I'll write/draw another 10 pages before the month is through!
[5/5] just to be sure. Well, let the voting commence :)

Last edited:

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
This is really cool
:D
Thickheaded Dwarves

Warwolf

Alteran Cryptid and Renowned Hat-wearer
Staff member
Admin
In-Game Tech Staff
Legend
WarWolf_1
WarWolf_1
Legend
#1 Obviously.
Dwarves are stubborn after all.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
beep boop, updated with a new page.
It was a vote of 66% for option 1 and 33% for option 2.
Please, place your new votes!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
75% voted for option 2, a page on the king's thoughts at the feast! (including my small facebook group of supporters, which you may join if you like)
I'll work on that and post an update once it's finished :)

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
Pssst, the links seem to not be working for me, don't know whether the rest experiences the same