Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Interest check for 5e D&D Adventurer's League

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
(Does 5e have something like PFs wiki?)
There is, though unlike 3.5 where wizards basically put every bit of rules mechanics into the open game license, they were more selective of what to put in the free rules and what to leave out. Here is the free basic rules guide from Wizards. That's all you need in order to play, though if you're looking for the full selection of races and classes, I'd highly suggest grabbing a copy of the player's handbook.

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
On the upside multiclassing runs fairly smooth. You just end up sacrificing potential feats since the bonus feat is tied to levels in a class rather than your overall level. That is if your DM allows feats.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
This sentance feels so alien.
Agreed. However, to help alleviate that feeling, the Adventurer's League standardizes how the game is played, and feats are certainly allowed. It's another reason I love the Adventurer's League setup, you go into a new group and you already know there's not going to be any strange homebrew bs, or the DM changing how mechanics work and whatnot. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to join a group only to find the guy running it has massively changed how the game works and I only find out after I've made a character. There's nothing worse than hiding/altering the rules without players knowing.

LePancake

Loyal Servant of Altera
On the note of D&D and PF, if you started in PF, it is a pretty easy conversion. I started with the PF system and the conversion to 5e was pretty easy, a few names are changed and there are changed races and classes from what I know, but the core ideas are all pretty much the same, so if you do come from PF, it really shouldn't be too terribly hard to go into 5e

LePancake

Loyal Servant of Altera
A couple questions regarding this, 1. When will the sessions be do you think, what day, time, etc.? And 2. Should I bring a new character or one already played to the experience, or either?

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
Ya, the rules are fairly simplified. Major differences include having the same attack progression for every class. Feats are every 4 levels in a single class. (It's actually a choice between a +2 in a stat or a feat). Caster lvls stack for spell slots. Also advantage/disadvantage rules. Basically a + or -2 when triggered.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Ya, the rules are fairly simplified. Major differences include having the same attack progression for every class. Feats are every 4 levels in a single class. (It's actually a choice between a +2 in a stat or a feat). Caster lvls stack for spell slots. Also advantage/disadvantage rules. Basically a + or -2 when triggered.
advantage is roll twice take better result and disadvantage is roll twice take worse result, but the rest is spot on.

A couple questions regarding this, 1. When will the sessions be do you think, what day, time, etc.? And 2. Should I bring a new character or one already played to the experience, or either?
I suppose I should have asked when people would be most able to play, heh. For me, I'll be avaliable most days during the afternoons, probably looking at Friday afternoons unless people can't make that. Hopefully we can get a second DM to run at a different time so we can get as many people playing that want to.

You'll need to make a new character, following the guidelines that Adventurers League sets up. You'll also need a DCI number, which you can get by making an account on the website I linked in the first post. When I have a moment I'll update the first post with set by step instructions on how to get ready to play, for anyone that needs it.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
quick question, while the adventurer's league has its own rules, dms can still have their own style of doing things, like the dm in the campaign im playing at the moment has an unwritten law he follows where once per character/game ((whichever lasts longer) your character is allowed to basically do something that isn't allowed, but not outright banned per se. (Example: bunch of adventurers had a door that could open into a sort of closet dimension, which was big enough to hold a cannon that could fire an enchanted cannonball once a day, they put the cannon in there, and magically rigged it so that, upon opening the door, it would automatically fire the cannon. Then, the tank used that door as a shield, arguing that since it was magical and could withstand anything from the closet dimension (someone had originally been hiding in there with said cannon and was a bit too slow in firing it so it hit the door and left it unfazed) that it would work as a shield perfectly, dm gave the ok) would you be similar? sorry if this was a bit lengthy :p

LePancake

Loyal Servant of Altera
quick question, while the adventurer's league has its own rules, dms can still have their own style of doing things, like the dm in the campaign im playing at the moment has an unwritten law he follows where once per character/game ((whichever lasts longer) your character is allowed to basically do something that isn't allowed, but not outright banned per se. (Example: bunch of adventurers had a door that could open into a sort of closet dimension, which was big enough to hold a cannon that could fire an enchanted cannonball once a day, they put the cannon in there, and magically rigged it so that, upon opening the door, it would automatically fire the cannon. Then, the tank used that door as a shield, arguing that since it was magical and could withstand anything from the closet dimension (someone had originally been hiding in there with said cannon and was a bit too slow in firing it so it hit the door and left it unfazed) that it would work as a shield perfectly, dm gave the ok) would you be similar? sorry if this was a bit lengthy :p
I can't exactly speak for every DM, but usually most DMs have their own style that is unique to them, it is why it can be hard to be a DM and go to being a player, or be a player and swap DMs. Whether this difference is an added rule, like in your example, or maybe a modification to spells, how the game works, or maybe more races and classes, all depends on the DMs own personal choice (obviously), but all DMs are unique, even if they are not having homebrewed campaigns, and have a different way of running their game, or at least, in my experience, they certainly do.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
I can't exactly speak for every DM, but usually most DMs have their own style that is unique to them, it is why it can be hard to be a DM and go to being a player, or be a player and swap DMs. Whether this difference is an added rule, like in your example, or maybe a modification to spells, how the game works, or maybe more races and classes, all depends on the DMs own personal choice (obviously), but all DMs are unique, even if they are not having homebrewed campaigns, and have a different way of running their game, or at least, in my experience, they certainly do.
i know, that's why I'm asking :p

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Obviously styles will always differ between DMs, however because of the AL, you should have a similar experience should you play the same adventure with different DMs. The adventures you play in AL are all written and approved by the AL, the rewards and other bonuses given are approved in each adventure, and tracked through adventure logsheets. You could, for instance, come across a bag of holding, or a portable hole, to facilitate what you're talking about, but unfortunately in D&D 5e there isn't much in the way of gunpowder or cannons, so having a portable cannon hole isn't really feasible.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Obviously styles will always differ between DMs, however because of the AL, you should have a similar experience should you play the same adventure with different DMs. The adventures you play in AL are all written and approved by the AL, the rewards and other bonuses given are approved in each adventure, and tracked through adventure logsheets. You could, for instance, come across a bag of holding, or a portable hole, to facilitate what you're talking about, but unfortunately in D&D 5e there isn't much in the way of gunpowder or cannons, so having a portable cannon hole isn't really feasible.
magic cannon

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
The closest equivalent to this that I know of would be.. I think Pathfinder Society games?
Yep, that's exactly what the AL is, just for D&D 5e. Before the Pathfinder Society, there was Living Greyhawk for 3.5 D&D. Played a decent bit of Living Greyhawk, tried to get into PS but could never find a group. The AL seems to be much more accommodating for online play than Society, and I really enjoy the 5e system. Pathfinder has just gotten way too bloated mechanically for my taste.

magic cannon
My bad. As far as I know, there are no "magic cannons" as loot in AL. I hope that doesn't stop you from wanting to play.

EDIT: I've added a nice detailed list of everything you'll need to do to get ready to play with us on the first post.

Last edited:

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
The closest equivalent to this that I know of would be.. I think Pathfinder Society games?
Yep, though I prefer pathfinders system of take home sheets, because if your not carefully Its easy to become disorganized.

Also expect significantly less loot in AL. Plate mail is like 1500gp I think, and that could possibly take till 5th level or higher to afford. Your also only allowed one magic item until everyone at table has one or they choose to pass on it I think. Those said magic items are rare and mainly only show up on a certain type of adventure I can't recall name at time. Also any weapons or armor you find is considered broken or you don't get to keep at end of adventure. Still fun regardless. And makes the stuff you do get more appreciated. Note that you should loot everything, especially boss like guys. Had an adventure once where we forgot to because the DM was too good at story telling (like payable good) and missed out on a magic item. We were Like, ya we won that battle was epic! ( seriously though, it felt like watching the years best movie every time you were lucky enough to land at his table).
advantage is roll twice take better result and disadvantage is roll twice take worse result, but the rest is spot on.
This is why I shouldn't post when I'm tired.

It would also be helpful to know timezone.

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
I realized I made the loot seem lackluster so here are a few kwel things that I have seen or picked up. Winged boots! Made my rogue/fighter a tad broken and super mobile for early level AL. Basically I could bypass alot of annoying checks with it. Got a weapon of warning once. Can't be surprised and gave you advantage on initiative. Ring of non detection or something. No one can detect your alignment. LE is allowed if you are in a certain faction. Various scrolls wand/staffs potions. There are some really neat things to pick up.

Edit: class abilities also really stand out and are more pronounced than other editions.

Last edited:

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I miiight be interested as player or DM but I'm somewhat on the fence as it doesn't really sound like the D&D I'm used to. I'll probably do some more reading.

LePancake

Loyal Servant of Altera
A question regarding the character sheet, is there a digital version so that I can avoid printing anything?